What books are you reading?

I started Galapagos a while back and got bored and put it down and moved on, I'll have to go back and finish it.

I just got Timequake, Palm Sunday and God Bless You, Mr. Rosewater in, so I need to plow through those first.

...this is kind of a shameless plug, but me and Aaron/Team Science released a New Bruises 7" a few years ago and one of the songs on it is and ode to KV, with the lyrics mostly being phrased in Vonnegut quotes...it's called "God Bless You, Mr. Vonnegut (So it goes)".

I'd never read any Vonnegut up until that point and that song got me hooked and he's become one of my favorite authors, if not my absolute favorite at this point.

check the song out here:

http://www.undercomm.bandcamp.com/album/goodbye-middle-class-ep

I study evolution and geology and the Galapagos are a big deal for people like me. that might have had something to do with how much I enjoyed the book/ideas.

Couldn't catch all the lyrics/quotes but it's a cool song.

I'm reading Sons & Lovers by DH Lawrence. And so far the book is humbling as all hell. I'm totally inthralled in the children's personalities and lives. I loathe and feel sorry for the father at the same time, and the mother is heroic, but can be cold, and jealous. I'm only a 100 pages in, and the book has my full and appreciated attention. It took about 20 pages plus to really get into the book though, but I love it so far now. I highly recommend it.

^re-reading this again for class and can't help but be grossed out at the same parts I was grossed out over 5 years ago. Never gets old.

Recently bought The Jungle, hopefully I get time to read it soon.

Currently I'm in the middle of this. Highly recommended for anyone interested in nature. Sometimes depressing but he tries to include solutions and optimism. [image]

Been on a huge David Foster Wallace kick (I read Infinite Jest earlier this summer and it was great)

Just finished: [image]

(which is utterly mind-blowing the levels of infinity discussed in this book, if anyone is interested in talking about this, I will)

and

[image] (except skipped the Dostoeveky essay, the tennis player's biography review, and the Kafka essay).

This would be next if I didn't leave it at a friends house:

[image]

Which means that this:

[image]

or this: [image]

is next.

I am half putting off The Pale King, because it will enthrall every waking minute of my life til I finish it (as Everything and More did today).

Oh, I also might read some Bakunin essays every now and then in the upcoming week and am also halfway into World's End by Pablo Neruda (but poetry rarely holds my attention for long and this is mostly to aid my Spanish).

Been on a huge David Foster Wallace kick (I read Infinite Jest earlier this summer and it was great)

(which is utterly mind-blowing the levels of infinity discussed in this book, if anyone is interested in talking about this, I will)

and

[image]

Geoff Rickly from Thursday talks about Wallace quite a bit as being an influence Common Existence record. I been wanting to check him out just not sure what to start with. Shame he died too, pity.

and

[image]

Geoff Rickly from Thursday talks about Wallace quite a bit as being an influence Common Existence record. I been wanting to check him out just not sure what to start with. Shame he died too, pity.

NOT Everything and More, because it's technical and tough. Consider the Lobster is a good start because he truly is a fantastic essayist. I'm sure if you search the internet hard enough you can find some of his essays (he was published in a variety of different magazines, so I'm sure one of them has free archives if you take the time to look).

• 10 months later...

one of my all-time favorites, some of that imagery is haunting as fuck. Love me some Selby

yeah i really need to pick up some more of his stuff not sure why i've always passed on his books before.

I also really envy his way of using imagery the way he can just get into intricate detail and describe something so perfectly.