What books are you reading?

I've recently become obsessed with the author Dave Eggers. Currently reading You Shall Know Your Velocity! and it is absolutely incredible. His book of short stories, How We are Hungry, is also fantastic. He has written 9 books, and almost all of them have won multiple awards. 

Not to mention he has started multiple non-profits for the education of youth, and has been on TED talks. The dude also wrote Away We Go and wrote the screenplay for Where the Wild Things Are. I could go on for days, but please just check this dude out.

Dave Eggers is great! Have you read What Is the What? pretty good, story of one of the lost boys of Sudan.

Dave Eggers is great! Have you read What Is the What? pretty good, story of one of the lost boys of Sudan.

I am currently diving into whichever of his books are available at the library around the corner from me. I am wrapping up You Shall Know Your Velocity! right now, and the next book on queue is A Hologram for the King.  But What is the What? is definitely on the list and I hope to pick it up soon. I am not going to lie though, when I had already fallen in love with his style of writing, and then found out that he wrote Away We Go, I freaked out. He has made too many good things. He has to stop.

Wifey mostly got me into him, I think I've only read What Is the What, and You Shall Know Your Velocity! Have you read much of Miranda July's stuff? She...is also excellent, in case anyone didn't know from also watching her movies.

GAH! I Love Miranda July! Her movies are fabulous, and I read It Chooses You recently. It was such an intoxicating read. I would love to do a project like that. 

Also, I just found out that Dave Eggers also designed the album art for Thrice's Vheissu. Why is he so cool?

I just want to be friends with Dave Eggers, his wife, and Miranda July. We will all be besties.

I'm on the fence about Dave Eggers. I loved Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius, but The Circle was huge turd. That's all I've read by him.

I haven't read either of those yet. But I can definitely vouch for the few I have read. I have been reading that his book that he just released in June wasn't so good either. But.... Meh. If that is true, I have heard amazing things about 7/9 of his books.

HHhH (Himmlers Hirn heißt Heydrich) by Laurent Binet. 

It's a weird one, the subject is quite interesting - an account of the failed assassination of Reinhard Heydrich - but I'm nearly halfway through and am still yet to decide whether I get on with the writing style or not. It's almost a cross between a sort of 'Non-Fiction' and the author recounting facts with gaps filled with how he imagined it would have played out despite stating regularly that he abhors the idea of taking the lives of real people and making them 'puppets'. 

I will likely persevere as I'm quite enjoying the small snippets of facts and insights that I haven't come across before but probably won't be embarking on any long reading sessions.

hhhh.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

new murakami book comes out tomorrow! i'm going to a midnight release tonight. pretty fucking excited!

already? damn haven't heard anything about it. Feels like 1Q84 just came out.

just finished the Savage Detectives by Roberto Bolano, it was fucking awesome

Nice, I'm jumping into 2666 soon. Reading The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz right now.

Recently finished

The Third Reich by Roberto Bolano

The Death of Artemio Cruz by Carlos Fuentes

The Stories of John Cheever by duh

Recently finished:

The Third Reich by Roberto Bolano

What was this like? It's the right subject matter for me but never held a copy to flick through or read the first few pages to decide whether or not to buy.

I've just finished Archangel by Robert Harris

archangel-cover.jpg?w=640

I read Fatherland by him and was thoroughly impressed and Archangel was no different, will definitely be buying more from him. Also finally got round to reading my copy of Dante Inferno too.

What was this like? It's the right subject matter for me but never held a copy to flick through or read the first few pages to decide whether or not to buy.

It was interesting enough but I felt it didn't really go anywhere. I think it was his first novel but not released til after his death or something? Definitely doesn't have the depth of his other work but it's a good indication of where some of his later ideas come from. Dunno if I would buy it, I checked it out from the library, I'd suggest you do the same.

ended up with two signed first editions of the new murakami novel last night! the one I preordered ended up being a signed copy, and i won another in a tense game of "pin the kafka on the shore". it was such a good time. I can't wait to start reading it--i'm so exhausted today though so it may not be until tomorrow haha.

Still haven't started House of Leaves.

Boo! Check yo self fool!

But seriously, I've been waiting for his next full length thing since I read house of leaves in maybe 2004?

It's set to be a 27-volume Mega-novel released over the course of something like 10 years with a new novel out every few months in the series. But, the first edition was due 2014 and it's August and nothing has been said about it except that the first draft went to the publishing house in April. So... 2014 aint looking so hot!

ended up with two signed first editions of the new murakami novel last night! the one I preordered ended up being a signed copy, and i won another in a tense game of "pin the kafka on the shore". it was such a good time. I can't wait to start reading it--i'm so exhausted today though so it may not be until tomorrow haha.

My local indie shop sold out of their copies before I got there. Picked up Conversations in the Cathedral by Mario Vargas Llosa instead.

NICE on the signed copies.

My copy should be waiting on my doorstep when I get home.  The small amount of stuff/reviews I've seen for this make me very excited for it.