What books are you reading?

currently finishing up the last of the rob sheffield books. would highly recommend...."talking to girls about duran duran" gets a little repetitive with the other two, but "love is a mixtape" and "turn around bright eyes" are both solid reads. great mix of personal stories and music history. klosterman fans especially would dig. 

currently finishing up the last of the rob sheffield books. would highly recommend...."talking to girls about duran duran" gets a little repetitive with the other two, but "love is a mixtape" and "turn around bright eyes" are both solid reads. great mix of personal stories and music history. klosterman fans especially would dig. 

I totally agree with you. I liked Duran Duran the least (may have even abandoned it 2/3 of the way through), but I do love both the other books - well written, fun, and a nice perspective on feeling okay about loving any type of music.

I have five Philip K. Dick books I need to tackle.

Valis, Scanner, Three Stigmata, Electric Sheep, and I think Ubik.

Should I start anywhere in particular or read in chronological order?

Go with Electric Sheep 1st, Scanner, 3 Stigmata, Ubik, Valis...

That's in order of straightforward to delirious story telling

Go with Electric Sheep 1st, Scanner, 3 Stigmata, Ubik, Valis...

That's in order of straightforward to delirious story telling

I think I've read 4 PKD books, and Ubik was the first, and the one that most got me sucked in. Loved Man in the High Castle, and I sort of liked Electric Sheep, but didn't like it nearly as much as the other two. You're right that it's way more straightforward, but I love the weird brilliance of Ubik.

I think I've read 4 PKD books, and Ubik was the first, and the one that most got me sucked in. Loved Man in the High Castle, and I sort of liked Electric Sheep, but didn't like it nearly as much as the other two. You're right that it's way more straightforward, but I love the weird brilliance of Ubik.

Totally get it... just some people don't take to the insanity quickly. In truth, there is no bad place to start with PKD except for reading the Exegesis 1st or the sequel(s) to Valis 1st.

Totally get it... just some people don't take to the insanity quickly. In truth, there is no bad place to start with PKD except for reading the Exegesis 1st or the sequel(s) to Valis 1st.

I heard some weird stuff about Radio Free Albemuth and I've never read any of his stuff so I was thinking of checking it out. 

Also just finished Morrissey's Autobiography and have started his first published fiction attempt. All the reviews say its shit but I'm sure I'll love it in a strange way.

I heard some weird stuff about Radio Free Albemuth and I've never read any of his stuff so I was thinking of checking it out.

Also just finished Morrissey's Autobiography and have started his first published fiction attempt. All the reviews say its shit but I'm sure I'll love it in a strange way.

...Albemuth loosely follows Valis, the Divine Invasion, and the Transmigration of Timothy Archer

The reviews of his fiction work are frighteningly bad... What did you think of the autobiography? Would it stand up if you weren't necessarily as fan of his music?

...Albemuth loosely follows Valis, the Divine Invasion, and the Transmigration of Timothy Archer

So, not a good place to start then?

The reviews of his fiction work are frighteningly bad... What did you think of the autobiography? Would it stand up if you weren't necessarily as fan of his music?

Reviews are reviews. While I think book criticisms can be taken more seriously than music criticisms, if you think you might enjoy it you should find out for yourself. That being said, I am Morrissey obsessive and will love everything he does in some way, shape, or form. So, being a measly 14 pages into List of the Lost, I really enjoy it so far. Art is art.

Autobiography was a really great book. I read the original UK edition that hasn't been cut down at all, as you will find that the US version and I believe the newer UK versions are. Of course, Morrissey having that "love him or hate him" way about him, I really wouldn't recommend it if you didn't have the drive to read it. It definitely isn't like reading the Gandhi autobiography or anything. So all in all, I wouldn't say it is necessarily friendly to someone who isn't familiar or interested in Morrissey or at least The Smiths. Also, having read Autobiography and then going right into List of the Lost, it is much easier to decipher and stay focused on his writing style.

About halfway thru John Dies at the End. It's definitely a page turner but I don't love the writing style. Also, I wish the author wouldn't use the word "retarded" so much. I'll probably finish it soon but not sure I'll rush to the sequel.

re: r/nosleep, I've read some great stuff on there, but it's also easy to read some really shitty stories too. I used to listen to the No Sleep Podcoast but that can sometimes just be too hammy.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently read a few books:

The Goldfinch - Donna Tartt. Meh. Excessively overlong, written in a very basic and unimpressive style, and full of too many diatribes about real 'art' and authenticity. The last 40 pages are just a musing on 'what is real'...fuck...the story itself is moderately interesting, but not worth investing in the book, no matter what Oprah says (I don't actually know if Oprah loves this book, but I assume that she would).

The Great Leader and The Fighter Pilot - Blaine Harden. Pretty decent non-fiction about North Korea that parallels the story of Kim Il Sung with that of a pilot who defected at the end of the Korean war. Somewhat well-written, and gave a pretty accessible perspective on the early years of Kim's regime, with some insight on the war. Far more interesting than reading a pure historical text. This guy also wrote Escape from Camp 14, which was the retelling of a prison camp escapee from North Korea. Not the best book about North Korea I've read (that would go to Nothing to Envy), but a fine read.

Wonder - RJ Palacio. All the rage for fifth graders, but for good reason. One of the nicest young adult books I've read since Holes (as a child I loved Louis Sachar and read Holes several times when I was too old for it). Extremely well-written and absolutely readable in 2-3 hours.

Up next is Elvis Costello's autobiography, and Station Eleven by Emily St. John Mandel. But running out of books I'm really excited to read. Rereading some of this thread makes me think I should catch up on PKD. Suggestions of newish books also gladly accepted (non-horror usually!).

I've just finished the Wheel of Time series, 2 times in a row back to back. Basically been reading it for 2 years solid.

Dont know what to do anymore.

Love that series <3

I went from that, straight into some Murakami stuff. I'll always and force re suggest him to people.

Finished Xenocide a little bit ago...haven't really been feeling the reading big lately with anything I have at home. Probably going to pick up some graphic novels and a new Murakami book soon to get rolling again.

Starting the DxD light novels in Physics. Starting at 3 which was the start of S2 in the show. Heard it follows 1 and really closely, but after that it starts to change a fair bit. I need more DxD in my life so I don't mind going through the holy swords arc again to get to where s3 ended especially if it's pretty different from s2 and s3

Just finished Frankenstein. I loved it! Was very plodding at points, but it had so much to say about the socioeconomics of the time and the marginalized. The monster was a voice for the voiceless. I dunno, really loved it. Surprised it was more of a gothic romance than horror.

• 5 weeks later...