What books are you reading?

Slade House was great - anyone read any other Mitchell - Bone Clocks, Cloud Atlas? Worth getting into?

i love david mitchell. I went to a reading/signing for bone clocks--really nice guy.

cloud atlas is phenomenal. bone clocks is kinda weird. I enjoyed it, but a bunch of weird paranormal shit happens early on that doesn't make any sense. it eventually all ties back together somehow and it was cool to go back and see how all the things early on actually do make sense. I haven't finished slade house yet, but I think it was a spinoff of bone clocks. the thing with mitchell is he loves the novella format, so his stories are written from several POVs across a large amount of time, usually in different genres/styles and not in the typical narrative format. the writing is always very clever though and fun to read. you should definitely give cloud atlas a shot. a few sections are a bit slower than the rest just because the style in which they're written, but everything ends up making sense.

Slowly working my way though A Song of Ice and Fire. I'm only only book 3 and I read very slowly so it's taking a while. Each book seems to be longer than the previous one.

Fact.

Also, book 4 took the most out of me to get through, because most of my favorite characters weren't in it because of how he divided up book 4 and 5.

Slowly working my way though A Song of Ice and Fire.  I'm only only book 3 and I read very slowly so it's taking a while.  Each book seems to be longer than the previous one.

I'm even slower. I started Clash of Kings last month after finally finishing Game of Thrones (by reading 400 pages in a few short weeks because I suddenly got motivated) but I haven't touched it in weeks. I don't know why the idea of reading mindless articles on the internet sounds more compelling than reading an actual book.

Didn't quite hit my target of books read last year, so trying again for 2016. Read two books this year, Minor Characters by Joyce Johnson, a memoir of the 1950s around the major players of the beat generation, and another book about my home town that's not worth describing here!

Currently reading Paddle Your Own Canoe, Nick Offerman's first book. Really enjoying it, he's a great writer.

Any recs for anything similar? How about Aziz Ansari's book?

if you've seen the room, the disaster artist is a great read. 

tina feys book is great and simon pegs is if you're into star wars. I just picked up aziz's book and plan on reading it after I finish my current book. 

I don't read much unless it is about music or comic books. My sister got me a couple books for my birthday last summer and I never read them. So I just started reading Everybody Hurts, an Essential guide to emo culture! It is so awsome so far! I love pretty much all these bands the book mentions. Not sure if anybody has read this since it is an older book, but it is awsome!

I don't read much unless it is about music or comic books. My sister got me a couple books for my birthday last summer and I never read them. So I just started reading Everybody Hurts, an Essential guide to emo culture! It is so awsome so far! I love pretty much all these bands the book mentions. Not sure if anybody has read this since it is an older book, but it is awsome!

::sigh:: I just read the description and some reviews for this book and it made me cringe. To each their own though, I suppose.

Yeah maybe it's not so good. I could read a dfiferent one I guess.

I don't know much about books about emo culture, but if you're looking for a fiction book that sort of embodies that aura, The Perks of Being a Wallflower is a great start. As is pretty much anything by John Green.

Been reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Really really good so far. Glad I still remember some of the Shining.

I love The Shining so much, and have been debating reading that a handful of times but always decided against just so I could enjoy it as it is.

What have you liked about it so far? Is Danny anything like Jack?

Been reading Stephen King's Doctor Sleep. Really really good so far. Glad I still remember some of the Shining.

Despite not being a big fan of King's, I love The Shining. Probably more to do with the film that the novel, though. I was pretty excited when Doctor Sleep was released and I read it pretty quickly but I ended up just not really enjoying it very much.

Spoiler for anyone who hasn't read it yet:

I just can't really get 100% on board with King's writing style. The primary antagonist, "Rose the Hat" just seemed like such a silly, one dimensional "evil" character. I did enjoy the ending of the story, but by about 1/3rd of the way into the novel I jsut resigned myself to reading it to find out the ending rather than reading it for enjoyment.The way Danny struggles with the sins of his father is kind of interesting, but overall I didn't think it was great.

The book House Of Leaves was what really got me into reading back when I was a disaffected 15 year old, and I recently found out it was heavily inspired by the book Pale Fire. I picked it up and I'm really enjoying it.

I also just finished Jonathan Franzen's compendium of essays How To Be Alone which was a great read, though one essay I felt seriously dragged on.

I'm even slower. I started Clash of Kings last month after finally finishing Game of Thrones (by reading 400 pages in a few short weeks because I suddenly got motivated) but I haven't touched it in weeks. I don't know why the idea of reading mindless articles on the internet sounds more compelling than reading an actual book

Clash of Kings took me a while to get through for some reason.  But I started Storm of Swards and it's keeping my interest a lot more.  It's even longer than Clash of Kings but I think I'll get through it a lot faster.  

Just finished Dave Eggers' The Circle. Not recommended. Basically a parable about the dangers of social media monopolies. In theory, it had an interesting idea, but it had wholly uninteresting characters, and was written without any style whatsoever. 

Up next is Ernest Cline's Armada, even though it got some pretty terrible reviews...

I had to read A Hologram for the King by Eggers in one of my English classes.  It sucked.  The Circle is supposed to be a better read though.  The whole thing felt boring and uninspiring, and that's coming from someone who usually likes slow paced books.

Has anyone read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore?  I need to have it read by tomorrow, and I haven't even started it.  And I need to write a response on it.  Oops.