What books are you reading?

Been on a bit of a tear lately with audiobooks. Read in the last month:

Office Girl - Joe Meno; bike hipsters in 90s Chicago fall in love and make statements about art. Kind of innocuous, but enjoyable enough.

Triburbia - Karl Taro Greenfeld - interesting in theory - decentralized, multi-perspective look at arty types who live in Tribeca and are raising kids there. Tried really hard to make a statement, but I finished it feeling completely unsure what the point of it was.

All the Light We Cannot See - Anthony Doerr - it seems like all you need to do is write a story about a blind French girl in the second world war and they'll give you a Pulitzer. I was extremely underwhelmed by this book. It wasn't bad by any means, but overly long, kind of boring for the most part, and to me, not the kind of amazing book that wins a big award like that.

We Are Called to Rise - Laura McBride - I really really liked this. Excellent character development, writing is stellar, great plot arcs. The kind of book that isn't trying to be anything too majestic, but at its own level, succeeds at telling a good story with good characters. Everything about character development missing in the book California (see below) is present here.

10:04 - Ben Lerner - the kind of book I would understand how many people would hate, but I love. Narcissistic author navigates living in New York and trying to write his very self-aware book based on the success of his previous book. It's probably moderately autobiographical, but written by a very capable writer with a great sense of humour. 

The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian - Sherman Alexie - I've been meaning to read this for a while, and I'm so glad I did. Excellent young adult fiction. For every adult reading John Green novels, this should be your next book.

California - Edan Lepucki - our more or less failed Book Club book, which probably didn't go so well on account of the book being so meh. Characters were extremely under-developed, and plot twists were either too obvious or too unimpressive. Had potential, but needed a better editor.

Fortune Smiles - Adam Johnson - I'm not really a short story guy, but I read his book The Orphan Master's Son (which deservingly won the Pulitzer, unlike the book above), but I can tell this guy is a really amazing writer. Some of the stories were really good. I just always feel unsatisfied by reading short story collections. 

Now I just have no idea what I want to read next.

• 1 month later...

I finished "A Brief History of Time" - Stephen Hawking last week, it was surprising how easy it was to follow. Only a handful of times did I have to "wait what?" and reread something. I'm not a scientist or anything, I like space.

Just started "Lords of the Sith" - Paul S. Kemp, what can I say? I like Star Wars novels, they're light and fun and easy.

I finished "A Brief History of Time" - Stephen Hawking last week, it was surprising how easy it was to follow. Only a handful of times did I have to "wait what?" and reread something. I'm not a scientist or anything, I like space.

Just started "Lords of the Sith" - Paul S. Kemp, what can I say? I like Star Wars novels, they're light and fun and easy.

I'm working on Tarkin right now. It's enjoyable but it's taking me forever to finish. Lost Stars is a good read if you're looking for something after Lords of the Sith.

On 5/1/2016 at 10:19 PM, psus2h said:

I'm working on Tarkin right now. It's enjoyable but it's taking me forever to finish. Lost Stars is a good read if you're looking for something after Lords of the Sith.

I've heard that one is good too, but I'm trying to stick to the "adult" novels. I have all the old EU novels (that I got at 2nd hand shops for like $1-2 a piece) but I feel once I start down the younger reader novels then I'd have to get all of them because I'm a completionist. Tarkin was good, not my favorite of the new canon. Heir of the Jedi was definitely my favorite so far but I'm excited to get to Dark Disciple.

54 minutes ago, clerk3745 said:

I've heard that one is good too, but I'm trying to stick to the "adult" novels. I have all the old EU novels (that I got at 2nd hand shops for like $1-2 a piece) but I feel once I start down the younger reader novels then I'd have to get all of them because I'm a completionist. Tarkin was good, not my favorite of the new canon. Heir of the Jedi was definitely my favorite so far but I'm excited to get to Dark Disciple.

I understand what you're saying about Lost Stars, it didn't feel like a YA novel and it had a truly interesting story.  Perhaps the local library would have it...? Then you can read it and won't have to buy it.   

After Tarkin I think I'll try Lords of the Sith. 

I've got a lot of comic reading coming my way, but my next two planned books are Children of the Mind (finish off the Speaker trilogy) and Norwegian Wood (working my way through Murakami close to chronologically now, just skipping the ones I've already finished.)

Reading the fifth Hellboy trade paperback right now. After Children of the Mind I'll probably work on some Saga of the Swamp Thing trades and after Norwegian wood Descender vol 2 (and if that takes me to July I'll be reading the next SAGA trade.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I've got a lot of comic reading coming my way, but my next two planned books are Children of the Mind (finish off the Speaker trilogy) and Norwegian Wood (working my way through Murakami close to chronologically now, just skipping the ones I've already finished.)

Reading the fifth Hellboy trade paperback right now. After Children of the Mind I'll probably work on some Saga of the Swamp Thing trades and after Norwegian wood Descender vol 2 (and if that takes me to July I'll be reading the next SAGA trade.

Murakami is brilliant. I'm re-reading his books every now and then.

I'm actually a bit envious of my mate who hasn't read 1Q84 yet.

16 minutes ago, Mr Mojo said:

Murakami is brilliant. I'm re-reading his books every now and then.

I'm actually a bit envious of my mate who hasn't read 1Q84 yet.

1Q84 is probably the book I got totally lost in the most of all I've ever read. It's pure magic, really. I hard a hard time coming back to reality after reading both books in a matter of days. Looking at the moon every now and then helped, though.

8 minutes ago, SpazzyMcGee said:

Still reading. Almost done with the third book. 

Its been an ordeal...

So goooooooood. My buddy tried for years to get me to read them, and I didn't...then when they were finally all out I took a year and read every one of them straight through. Best decision I ever made.

3 hours ago, Stress On The Sky said:

Taking a break from J.G. Ballard's collected short stories volume two with We Need To Talk About Kevin. Friend recommended it, not bad so far.

We Need to Talk About Kevin is a really, really good book, but also an extremely overwhelming one. It takes a little while to get going, and the second half is pretty hard to put down. I do not recommend Lionel Shriver's book Big Brother though. Imagine if the same narrator of Kevin really hated fat people...

I'm currently reading God Emperor of Dune and absolutely love it. The world Frank Herbert created in the Dune series is absolutely insane. The first book was fantastic, the second was slow but ended on a high note, but the third (Children of Dune) and now forth are my absolute favorites in the series. 

On 5/17/2016 at 11:58 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Is this your first time reading the Speaker trilogy? What are your thoughts on SftD and Xenocide? SftD is my favorite book ever probably and I think people are too tough on Xenocide. The Path stuff is a bit long winded but when it starts ramping up towards the end I find it facinating

16 minutes ago, joshman150 said:

I'm currently reading God Emperor of Dune and absolutely love it. The world Frank Herbert created in the Dune series is absolutely insane. The first book was fantastic, the second was slow but ended on a high note, but the third (Children of Dune) and now forth are my absolute favorites in the series. 

Is this your first time reading the Speaker trilogy? What are your thoughts on SftD and Xenocide? SftD is my favorite book ever probably and I think people are too tough on Xenocide. The Path stuff is a bit long winded but when it starts ramping up towards the end I find it facinating

It is! (I absolutely love all six Frank Herbert Dune books, btw)

I really enjoyed SftD and Xenocide.

For reference, I'm a funeral director and at the time I read Speaker I was actually going through a training to also be what we call a celebrant...pretty much doing what the Speaker does, gathering stories about the person and trying to paint an accurate picture of them at a service. It was interesting.

I don't mind a Tory that builds slowly. I've come to expect that slow burn from a lot of older sci-fi and I actually enjoy it :)

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

It is! (I absolutely love all six Frank Herbert Dune books, btw)

I really enjoyed SftD and Xenocide.

For reference, I'm a funeral director and at the time I read Speaker I was actually going through a training to also be what we call a celebrant...pretty much doing what the Speaker does, gathering stories about the person and trying to paint an accurate picture of them at a service. It was interesting.

I don't mind a Tory that builds slowly. I've come to expect that slow burn from a lot of older sci-fi and I actually enjoy it :)

That is awesome I'm glad you enjoyed them. When I first read Ender's Game I thought the whole series would be in a similar action sci-fi vein but I was absolutely blown away by Speaker and the following books! If you really enjoy the world I would recommend checking out the Shadow series as well. It is NOWHERE near as good but the first and fifth are really good and eventually there is going to be a sixth to connect to the Speaker Trilogy. Also the Prequel Formic wars books are really cool to learn about Mazer. They aren't the best written books but hey are super fun. I liked them on the same level I liked Ender's Game.

Yes the Dune books are the definition of slow burn, I kind of hated Dune at first because of this but once I got into the groove I fell in love. I can't put God Emperor down! I am 2/3 through and it's tone and pacing are very reminiscent of SftD even though the plot is so different.

2 minutes ago, joshman150 said:

That is awesome I'm glad you enjoyed them. When I first read Ender's Game I thought the whole series would be in a similar action sci-fi vein but I was absolutely blown away by Speaker and the following books! If you really enjoy the world I would recommend checking out the Shadow series as well. It is NOWHERE near as good but the first and fifth are really good and eventually there is going to be a sixth to connect to the Speaker Trilogy. Also the Prequel Formic wars books are really cool to learn about Mazer. They aren't the best written books but hey are super fun. I liked them on the same level I liked Ender's Game.

Yes the Dune books are the definition of slow burn, I kind of hated Dune at first because of this but once I got into the groove I fell in love. I can't put God Emperor down! I am 2/3 through and it's tone and pacing are very reminiscent of SftD even though the plot is so different.

Once I finish off Children and the rest of Murakami's fiction novels I'm hoping to re-read the Dune books. There are just too many books out there I want to read!

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage