What books are you reading?

• 5 weeks later...

On 3/6/2018 at 3:42 AM, mesi said:

Thank you for your reply. So you think that this was done on purpose? 

I'm pretty sure it's done on purpose. I personally prefer the pages cut like that because it makes the pages much easier to turn. But I'm a clumsy doofus.

Edited by creepy old guy
clarification

4 hours ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

Been meaning to read this for years. I've had a copy just sitting on my shelf.

Currently reading John Darnielle's Universal Harvester

I really liked Universal Harvester. I also loved Wolf in White Van.  Both books hook you in and then get nice and weird. 

18 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Finished The Shining a week or so ago.  Really enjoyed it.

Decided I'm gonna start Doctor Sleep next since The Shining is still fresh in my mind.

Doctor Sleep was pretty good. From what I remember it was very different in style than The Shining. Although I read Doctor Sleep like 5 years or so after I read the Shining, so I could have just forgotten a lot too.

I’m reading Under the Dome right now. I don’t think I’ve read anything by King I haven’t liked. I wanna tackle IT one of these days, I hear it’s fantastic.

Edited by dapeebs

1 hour ago, FiggyPud said:

Make that your next one.  I know it seems like a daunting task, but I promise you it flies by.  I never wanted to put it down.  It (haha) might be one of, if not my favorite book ever.

His books have never dragged for me, no matter how long. Although two 1000 page books in a row might be a bit much. Definitely gonna read it soon though.

• 4 months later...
15 hours ago, Ishtar said:

Started reading the new(est) Murakami book, Killing Commendatore, finally. It's been sitting on my bedside table for what feels like an eternity.

Let me know if it's any good. I generally enjoy Murakami but didn't love Colorless Tsuzuru that much...

• 2 weeks later...

51eHtkVLL5L._SX336_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I just started the Witcher series a couple weeks ago, almost done with the first book.

I've never played the game but I'm a huge D&D nerd needing a good multi-book fantasy realm to dive into and monster-killin' is right up my alley. 

The short stories aspect of this book make it a nice nightly chapter, but as fragmented as it feels for an introduction to the character, I'm getting hooked. I'll at the very least get the second book. I'm not sure if it's the translation of it or if it'd be similar in Polish, but it's pretty quick reading. I dig it.

My brain certainly doesn't have to work as hard as reading all the HP Lovecraft I've been immersing in the last few months! 

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Jeff Tweedy's memoir. One of the best music-related memoirs I've ever read (up there with Elvis Costello's recent one). Particularly good for being quick and concise, not going through every moment in his career in order, and instead focusing on the important parts. The audiobook is read by him, with cameos from his wife and oldest son.

• 1 month later...

I’m *trying* to get into Terry Pratchett/Discworld but with so many books in the series, it’s pretty hit or miss. I really enjoyed Night Watch but went back to Guards! Guards! and it’s a slog. I usually finish books within a couple days (I fortunately have a job with a lot of downtime and essentially get paid to read) but have been sitting on this one for a good month. I’m a big Gaiman fan and have tried making it through Good Omens five different times but Pratchett’s try hard brand of comedy doesn’t really stick in that one for me. Same thing with Small Gods. I heavily relate to Pratchett’s worldview and am not giving up just yet though.

I’ve been really into Cormac McCarthy lately after getting used to his writing style and love everything I have read. Suttree was a wonderful read, which surprised me since it didn’t have much of a clear plot. Also really into Michael Chabon lately. I read the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and couldn’t put it down. Probably my favorite book now.

• 1 month later...

I just snagged all the Discworld kindle books that went on sale today; I now have six from the series. Read: zero. Maybe I'll save those for the summer.

Just finished Woman in the Window. It is a lot better than I anticipated. Predictable, but kept me engaged. I went into it thinking it would be comparable to Gone Girl, which was an eye-roll of a chore to drudge through. 

On 2/5/2019 at 12:57 PM, Bronchitis said:

I’m *trying* to get into Terry Pratchett/Discworld but with so many books in the series, it’s pretty hit or miss. I really enjoyed Night Watch but went back to Guards! Guards! and it’s a slog. I usually finish books within a couple days (I fortunately have a job with a lot of downtime and essentially get paid to read) but have been sitting on this one for a good month. I’m a big Gaiman fan and have tried making it through Good Omens five different times but Pratchett’s try hard brand of comedy doesn’t really stick in that one for me. Same thing with Small Gods. I heavily relate to Pratchett’s worldview and am not giving up just yet though.

I’ve been really into Cormac McCarthy lately after getting used to his writing style and love everything I have read. Suttree was a wonderful read, which surprised me since it didn’t have much of a clear plot. Also really into Michael Chabon lately. I read the Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay and couldn’t put it down. Probably my favorite book now.

McCarthy is great. Cluster read a couple of his books a few years ago.