What books are you reading?

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Finished the Southern Reach trilogy (Annhilation, Authority, Acceptance) a couple days ago. I really enjoyed it!

Just started reading the Doom Patrol colic collections, and I'll be reading Siddhartha along with them shortly. Trying to get myself back reading regularly. Anybody keep track of things they've read on Goodreads?

• 3 months later...
On 10/19/2021 at 2:27 PM, Santa Bateman said:

anyone reading any comic books? didnt know if i should start a new topic or just ask here

so here i am

Pretty much all I'm reading lately.

Right now I'm reading TMNT Urban Legends. It rules.

next up: Papergirls.

If you've never read Saga it's amazing. It's half done and they're on hiatus right now though.

I pretty much only read tpb collections or omnibuses though. Too lazy to collect and store floppies.

Just now, Santa Bateman said:

yeah i seen saga is coming back. eventually im gonna get some tpbs for some say gideon/saga/paper girls and probably oblivion song as well. 

Paper girls tabs have been well priced on eBay recently, Saga has the huge omnibus that covers the entire first half that is out now too. Both solid pickups.

gonna look into them

atm im catching up on everything ive bought from last year and like 2019

ive caught up with star wars, we only find them when theyre dead. i have daredevil, marvel and venom to catch up on. also got bounty hunters to read along with doctor aphra and that texas blood. also caught up with sleeping beauties. also really enjoyed the first issue of nice house on the lake. so looking forward to catching up with that. man too many books. not enough time/money. suckage

• 2 weeks later...

Working through the Epic of Gilgamesh right now. Its really cool to read the world's oldest piece of literature and have it still have meaning and application to modern times. Previous to that, I read The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston, The Orestia by Aeschylus, and Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. 

You guys should download the Goodreads app if you don't have it already! It makes it so easy to keep track of what you've read and what you want to read. I've got really good recommendations through it as well, and you can add your friends to see what they're reading. Basically Discogs but for books. 

10 hours ago, Han Solo said:

Working through the Epic of Gilgamesh right now. Its really cool to read the world's oldest piece of literature and have it still have meaning and application to modern times. Previous to that, I read The Lost City of the Monkey God by Douglas Preston, The Orestia by Aeschylus, and Piranesi by Susanna Clarke. 

You guys should download the Goodreads app if you don't have it already! It makes it so easy to keep track of what you've read and what you want to read. I've got really good recommendations through it as well, and you can add your friends to see what they're reading. Basically Discogs but for books. 

I should download the app for that. I used to keep track years ago using Goodread's via the website.

Lately I've been reading books on music. Read In Defense of Ska not too long ago, and now I'm reading Hell of a Hat. Interesting perspective's on the ska scene in both. Also picked up Dave Grohl's book but I've been holding off on starting that one.

I just ordered a bunch of new books hoping it will make me start reading more than comics again. Got some decent use book deals on ebay.

Picked up The Road, Blood Meridian, No Country For Old Men, Chronicle of a Death Fortold, Love in the Time of Cholera, The Silmarillion, The Virgin Suicides, and The Ocean at the En of the Lane. Ran me under $25 shipped, which was nice.

3 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I just ordered a bunch of new books hoping it will make me start reading more than comics again. Got some decent use book deals on ebay.

Picked up The Road, Blood Meridian, No Country For Old Men, Chronicle of a Death Fortold, Love in the Time of Cholera, The Silmarillion, The Virgin Suicides, and The Ocean at the En of the Lane. Ran me under $25 shipped, which was nice.

If you haven't read books by Cormac McCarthy before, he has a very distinct writing style. I personally enjoy it. His books are also usually a very quick read for me.

3 hours ago, thenameisluigi said:

If you haven't read books by Cormac McCarthy before, he has a very distinct writing style. I personally enjoy it. His books are also usually a very quick read for me.

I haven't. I've heard great things though. Pretty excited!

On 11/8/2021 at 3:34 PM, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is FANTASTIC. Such a quick read but just so so intense. Been meaning to read more Gaiman but have yet to read anything but Ocean and Neverwhere.

11 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

The Ocean at the End of the Lane is FANTASTIC. Such a quick read but just so so intense. Been meaning to read more Gaiman but have yet to read anything but Ocean and Neverwhere.

I've read Neverwhere, American God's and Sandman, so I'm looking forward to this one. Each of the ones I read had some things I wasn't crazy about writing-wise, but overall I enjoyed each of them. I'll probably start with a McCarthy book, but I don't have a reading order set yet but they haven't arrived yet either.

edit: I actually tacked that on to my order because the last copy of Neuromancer sold out when I was trying to check out and it was buy 3 get one free, but im still excited for it.

Edited by MachoHommeRandallSauvage

22 minutes ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

I've read Neverwhere, American God's and Sandman, so I'm looking forward to this one. Each of the ones I read had some things I wasn't crazy about writing-wise, but overall I enjoyed each of them. I'll probably start with a McCarthy book, but I don't have a reading order set yet but they haven't arrived yet either.

edit: I actually tacked that on to my order because the last copy of Neuromancer sold out when I was trying to check out and it was buy 3 get one free, but im still excited for it.

I have American Gods sitting on my shelf, just haven't gotten around to it. From what I remember Gaiman's themes, tones and atmosphere were FANTASTIC but something about his writing style in certain spots was jarring, for lack of a better word. 

That is so WEIRD. I almost added on to my last post that I am in the middle of reading Neuromancer!

20 minutes ago, dapeebs said:

I have American Gods sitting on my shelf, just haven't gotten around to it. From what I remember Gaiman's themes, tones and atmosphere were FANTASTIC but something about his writing style in certain spots was jarring, for lack of a better word. 

That is so WEIRD. I almost added on to my last post that I am in the middle of reading Neuromancer!

Weird!

i use goodreads here and there. bought and read paper girls vol 1/2. pretty good so far. need the last 6 issues to finish daredevil. picked up new venom ill read that tomorrow along with the latest high republic/star wars issues. also been reading some manga lately. started with attack on titan, chainsaw man, and a couple of others. 

As of last night I'm officially more than halfway through Discworld! I started reading them in 2013 and was keeping a pretty good pace, but when Terry passed away books started getting hard to request through my local library system and it kind of killed my momentum.

4 hours ago, mameeshkamowskwoz said:

As of last night I'm officially more than halfway through Discworld! I started reading them in 2013 and was keeping a pretty good pace, but when Terry passed away books started getting hard to request through my local library system and it kind of killed my momentum.

Honestly my favorite series of all time.  I think i've read every one of them like 4-5 times and they really never get old for me.  If you're reading in order you've got some really amazing stuff in front of you!