who wants to press Fair To Midland?

hey guys,

so how should i start this thread? first off if you dont know Fair To Midland: theyre an amazing "progressive metal" band (i really wouldnt want to label them) from somewhere in texas. theyve got four albums out, two of them being completely out of print and highly sought after, one pressed on vinyl.

if you dont know them and you like prog-rock-metal-whatever you should definitely check them out! you can stream their latest album "Arrows & Anchors" over here: http://www.radiometal.com/en/article/preview-fair-to-midland-hits-the-target,36702

so heres the main reason for this thread: Arrows & Anchors was supposed to be released on cd and vinyl. literally one day before the release of the album (mid-july if i remember correctly) their label sent around an email saying:

FROM STEVE SEABURY AT eOne:

Hey all!

As I'm sure you know... Fair to Midland's new record Arrows & Anchors is available tomorrow, July 12 (July 11 in Europe/Australia). We are super excited to be releasing such a great record by such a special band.

We wanted to thank you for your pre-orders of the new Arrows & Anchors vinyl. Unfortunately, at no fault of the band, we have had to make a tough and last minute decision to not manufacture vinyl for this album. With digital downloads hurting physical sales of albums there just weren't enough orders of vinyl records to justify the manufacturing cost. That being said, Fair to Midland will be reaching out today to figure out how best to remedy the missing vinyl in your packages.

We apologize for the inconvenience and hope that this does not tarnish your image of FTM in any way. They truly care for their fans and friends and will do everything in their power to fix this issue as soon as possible.

Thanks for listening.

yeah, right... digital downloads are hurting physical sales.

obviously people were pretty pissed off by the labels decision.

my question is: since there are a shitload of labels here on the forums, is there anybody who would be interested of pressing that record.

right now i could really just see a positive outcome: the band really isnt huge but their fanbase is pretty dedicated and willing to spend quite some money on FTM-stuff (example: their first album which is oop for a few years now recently went on ebay for $400! ... yes, a cd... $400...)

somebody could do a small run of something like 200 or 300 copies, put the price up a bit and make some nice profit.

if you want to read a bit further into the vinyl-situation heres the thread at the FTM-board: http://ftmband.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=3743

would anybody be interested in making that happen? its a long shot but i love that band and i figured its worth a shot asking around here...

-yaro

"With digital downloads hurting physical sales of albums there just weren't enough orders of vinyl records to justify the manufacturing cost."

Then why did you do a pre-order? Wow less like a label and more like a pile of shit. I don't even know this band but any label that does pre-orders and doesn't deliver based on cash is probably not in the right financial situation to be releasing records in the first place.

By the way, the band sent refunds or new t-shirts to make up for the issue (a download of the album was included prior). Classy move by a great band. No idea why this "label" did what it did. Dreaming of a vinyl press someday that sounds better than the CD...Joe's House of Compression compressed this one too much for my tastes. Clipping like a mofo. Shame too because the songs are great.

Guest markovianprocess

I really don't see anyone stepping up to press this if they couldn't get enough orders in the first place to justify the cost. Set up a Kickstarter, and you might get lucky. This is one of the few situations where I could see a benefit in using it.

this band is awesome but they aren't even that well known here in Texas so I don't really see this happening even though they are badass

I'd consider them at least as well known as plenty of other artists/bands around here. Dance of the Manatee off their first album got alternative radio play and that album had a vinyl issue. It's unusual that this one does not.

• 9 years later...
2 hours ago, Chr15a113n said:

I tried to find a thread for the album, Arrows and Anchors and found nothing. There is an indie release of the album that looks to be coming out on October 23rd. If you google around you can find it. I’m not sure if the band was/is planning on announcing it or anything.

had a lil look and managed to find it at one place, hoping more comes out about it though as it's gonna be expensive to get to NZ if it isn't stocked many places.

• 1 year later...