Shipping box of records

I'm getting my vinyl shipped from Texas, I live in NY.

How should I tell my brother to package the records, standing up? stacked? it doesnt matter? bubble wrap and newspaper or just one? etc etc? any info would be appreciated. Any good info might get you some free 45's when I get the chance

i would say the only issue about mailing them standing up is the corners might get beat up pretty bad. i know you shouldn't stack your records, but if it's going to be in transit for only a few days, i don't really see that being much of an issue. i'd wrap each record up in bubble wrap like you stated and then stack them on top of each other... maybe try filling the sides of the box with either peanuts or newspaper... you'd definitely want to make sure they weren't going to be moving all around in the box while being handled from post office to post office.

He doesn't need to wrap each one. Stack them up. Wrap bubble wrap around the entire lot. Put a couple pieces of cardboard on each end. Use rubberbands or some kind of string to tie it all together. The cardboard will help keep the string from digging into your records. Get some kind of box that they would fit into tightly. Ideally, 13x13. Whatever is done, just fill empty space. Don't allow for movement.

Bent corners is always a risk in shipping. I have a lot of LP mailers with flaps on the corners to prevent this that a local maker made. I've never received a mailer like this from another country.

If you want to ensure undamaged corners, take piece of cardboard and tape around the corners of the box to make flaps. Also insert heavy cardboard to protect your records. Bubble won't help. Bent corners result from packages bring crushed. This is a frequent occurance when packages travel by air. They will get tossed. I've seen the tossing by watching workers load luggage at the airport. All this must be kept in mind while packaging the records.