has anyone ever had a job like this ?

icecream

I have 85% of weekends off. I work 40 hours a week sometimes a little more if needed. I get 7-8 Paid Holidays a year. I accrue 6 hours of Paid Time Off (PTO) every 2 weeks. Currently I have 60 hours of PTO which I will use around Christmas time with the 4 days they give us off in hopes to only work maybe 1 week of December :)

Wollongong has a planetarium, so they cool. I've never really had a job that was terrible with the number of hours worked or time off. Currently I work a pretty normal 40 hr week with occasional evening and weekend hours. Six or seven paid holidays, about three weeks of vacation a year, and comp time for when I work over 40 hrs in a week.

i work nights, it's a whole other level of suck.

Agree. Several years ago, I had a job doing shelf stocking at a grocery store overnight. The dudes I worked with were the most rag tag bunch I'd ever met - most of them were over the age of 45 and just angrily seethed to themselves as they worked their way through palettes of dog food and toilet paper. After about two months of working there and hating all of my friends because they were hanging out right as I was going to work, I found a job as a barista. There was a two week period where the two were supposed to overlap. One night, standing in the frozen food aisle, I looked around and then back at the palette of tv dinners I was stocking. I finished the palette, punched out and walked home. I had them mail the last check.

The idea that folks should just quit a job they hate to get a better one is easy to say when you're in a position where you have things going well - in many instances, that just isn't the case - sometimes folks get what they can get and there may not be better options. Suggesting something like that while knowing that most folks would opt out if they had a better exit strategy comes across a bit like thumbing the nose.

I spent 12 years as a chef. Working every weekend, starting at 9am and finishing at 11pm. I know sucky conditions.

So I took some time off and travelled Australia with a bag on my back. Now I work in a factory and get paid more than I ever did as a chef. And have better conditions too. If you want change, it won't come by itself. Stop whining and make it happen. Grow some balls ad get out there an do it.

Shitty jobs will always be around, as long as people are willing to keep workin them

I went to culinary school several years ago with the goal of becoming a personal chef and since then I've been doing solely that. My client structure allows me what essentially equates to a 5 day weekend which is great. I'm stoked that I'm in that position, but it took a period of time for that to happen. I agree with you that change can happen if you want it bad enough but sometimes folks are in certain places in their lives where they can't do that in that particular moment. Being able to gripe about those long hours is something to blow off steam and there's nothing wrong with that.

or waltongoggins, australia.

Congratulations for being an abortion survivor

Awfully thin skin ya got there. "Oooh! Some guy on the internet made a silly pun on the name of the city where I live! Better pull out my best insult!"

And I'll have you know, Walton Goggins was awesome on The Shield.

A couple years ago I worked every day for months on end, including weekends. It was brutal.

Now I work 5 or 6 days a week, often twice a day, and if I'm not working, I probably have hockey in some form. When I have a day off, like some random Saturdays, I have no idea what to do with myself. I feel so lazy and wasteful.

you guys need better friends.

i started my position 6 years ago, worked my way up to a hiring manager spot... have hired or have gotten hired about 20 of my friends.. and in the process fought to get the job i started out at to now start $15k higher in salary than it was 6 years ago.

of course i use my 4 weeks off a year to go work harder at shows and fests.. so i think i maybe have like 10 actual non working days a year if that.