Smashing Pumpkins

the mastering on the set is fine, I think. I mean, it's not perfect, and it's definitely loud, but the distortion issue is because of the choice to cut the deadwax so small. all of the other sides sound fine. that first LP is f'ed tho.

I don't know if it was his decision to pack the sides like that, but his attitude sucks either way.

the mastering on the set is fine, I think. I mean, it's not perfect, and it's definitely loud, but the distortion issue is because of the choice to cut the deadwax so small

I don't know if it was his decision to pack the sides like that, but his attitude sucks either way.

That is part of the vinyl mastering: how it is laid to wax. And it appears it was Getz who decided to lay it all the way to the label. So yes, his vinyl mastering is at fault.

But he doesn't care because, according to him, he's like the Billy Joe Armstrong of vinyl mastering and does his own thing, regardless of how a turntable will respond.

That is part of the vinyl mastering: how it is laid to wax. And it appears it was Getz who decided to lay it all the way to the label. So yes, his vinyl mastering is at fault.

But he doesn't care because, according to him, he's like the Billy Joe Armstrong of vinyl mastering and does his own thing, regardless of how a turntable will respond.

Fuckin' seriously!

Its a combination of amount of dead wax cut into plus the level. I have a few other records that go pretty close to the label but because the levels aren't maxed, you barely hear an issue like you do on this set.

His dismissive attitude toward his blunder is maddening. It makes me want to go Bane on his dome.

got it - wasn't sure if he was part of that design. he's a dick.

I still love that people are going nuts over this

And why shouldn't they? They paid for a product which isn't up to standard and in all reality shouldn't have been released with such an error. Some paid more than others. Even those who grabbed the discount still have a right to complain. The response from the source of the problem is even more aggravating. 

Because its a dead horse and its a fucking record(one that has also been avail for over 15 years)

Alot more important things in the world than some distortion on zero

When movies (blu-ray or dvd) ship with a slight error, they're recalled and replaced.

And do you actually consider the 3xLP set "available for 15 years?" Not everyone has/had the cash to shell out on that one. Don't be ignorant.

Because its a dead horse and its a fucking record(one that has also been avail for over 15 years)

Alot more important things in the world than some distortion on zero

You won't find many supporters of your "it's only a record" mentality...On a goddamn record collecting board.

If you want to discuss more pressing matters, I'm sure Yahoo News could use more posters on their stories.

Got another email from Stan.  Here's my conversation in its entirety with Stan, save the first email I sent him which I will paraphrase for brevity by saying it contained the question about whether A&R mastering was aware of the issue, aware of the discussion, aware of the returns, and aware of the reputation they were making for themselves after both OCEANIA and MCIS having the same problem.

My emails are in italics.

I can only respond to my part in the process:
We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's.
I want to thank you for bringing to my attention the on-line "Gang Mentality".
It is comforting.
In the words of one of my Rock hero's,getting out of rehab and going on the road again....
"I Walk Alone".
I truly and respectfully appreciate the e mail.
Stan

Stan, what does this mean?

"We are going from 2012 to 2013,and are not stuck in the 80's or 90's."

I appreciate your response, but am not sure any of it directly answered my query.  Amazon.com has stopped carrying the Melon Collie vinyl reissue because of all the returns due to heavy distortion on even the most advanced cartridges during inner groove tracks like ZERO, etc. 

I'm a record collector for 25 years, have 4000 LPs, and an audiophile all-analog setup.  So please understand my concern is not that of an online "gang mentality", but of quality control for vinyl releases which are so important to music lovers.

Thanks,

Mike

its like the plague.
I have 30 + years.
I have spent my life to be here now today.
Can I ask a question?? what have you spent youre entire life dream on?
I am blessed to have my name on the dead wax.
I am broke, 2 fucked up marriges and single.
I dont give a shit about amazon.
I cut the re release,and everyone wants to bring me down.
just return it.

I am positive you love doing what you do and many congrats are due to you for following that dream and making a business out of it.  That's rare.

I will answer your question to me:  My lifelong dream is to be a filmmaker and I am in Los Angeles following that dream.  In the last two years I have directed and produced episodes of Tv for both SPIKE TV and HULU.com.  

But I also am always interested in bettering my craft and if someone has a valid note for me, I take it into consideration and don't just say "Hey! I'm followin' my dream here!  Leave me alone!"

The problems with OCEANIA and MCIS are not based in artistic opinion like "there's a little too much in the high end than what I prefer."  It's purely technical:  By mastering for vinyl at a loud volume near inner grooves, you are causing playback of everyone's vinyl on 8 songs to distort so bad that they are returning it in favor of not owning it at all for the price.

I did return it, as i have the original pressing which does not have this issue (squeezed onto 3 vinyl, not 4).  

Look man...I understand it's shitty to have people bitching at you.  Keep doing what you're doing, brother.  Just stay away from the inner grooves.  The rest sounds beautiful.

Here's to more vinyl for both of us in 2013.

Mike

The problem is not Getz exclusively, it is the missing quality control at fucking Virgin Records America Inc. They have twentysomethings managing affairs for a couple of months before they're fired and this record is one of the shameful results of this catastrophic music industry.

Either nobody bothered to listen through all eight sides of the test press from start to end or... I can't think of another reason. You must be deaf not to hear that kind of distortion. I have a very good record player and a pretty good cartridge, all precisely adjusted, and the distortion is undebatable and a shame for the format vinyl in today's market. Obviously -and utterly unbelievably- this Stan Getz gets through with it (until now) - but I absolutely agree with people being angry, returning the record, the survey and all that. The tendency is to make records as heavy as possible, remaster every reissue (what for, by the way? They used to master better in the 80s and 90s than today!), and sell the records at ridiculous prices, somehow trying to compensate a portion of the major labels' losses on other formats. This is all absolutely ridiculous, as is the MC reissue in general. Starting with the waste of resources by pressing onto 4 LPs, not ending with all the listed bonus tracks in the bookletthat are not on the records (obviously the same booklet as the CD version, as the box that has a big sheet of paper with the tracklist glued to the back), the black letterbox wide screen stripes on the 4:3 screen shots in the booklet, and finally and most outrageously, the price (here in Europe at least: more than 100 Euros).

What an ugly light this reissue casts on the beautiful music that constitutes part of the album.

The problem is not Getz exclusively, it is the missing quality control at fucking Virgin Records America Inc. They have twentysomethings managing affairs for a couple of months before they're fired and this record is one of the shameful results of this catastrophic music industry.

Either nobody bothered to listen through all eight sides of the test press from start to end or... I can't think of another reason. You must be deaf not to hear that kind of distortion. I have a very good record player and a pretty good cartridge, all precisely adjusted, and the distortion is undebatable and a shame for the format vinyl in today's market. Obviously -and utterly unbelievably- this Stan Getz gets through with it (until now) - but I absolutely agree with people being angry, returning the record, the survey and all that. The tendency is to make records as heavy as possible, remaster every reissue (what for, by the way? They used to master better in the 80s and 90s than today!), and sell the records at ridiculous prices, somehow trying to compensate a portion of the major labels' losses on other formats. This is all absolutely ridiculous, as is the MC reissue in general. Starting with the waste of resources by pressing onto 4 LPs, not ending with all the listed bonus tracks in the bookletthat are not on the records (obviously the same booklet as the CD version, as the box that has a big sheet of paper with the tracklist glued to the back), the black letterbox wide screen stripes on the 4:3 screen shots in the booklet, and finally and most outrageously, the price (here in Europe at least: more than 100 Euros).

What an ugly light this reissue casts on the beautiful music that constitutes part of the album. I suppose the bootleg 3xLP is a better bet soundwise than this.

Guy obviosuly has some issues.  But I think I suggested about 15 pages ago that people complain directly to EMI.  Poor Stan with his sore back and headache is just a contractor EMI brought in to do some work for them.  If you wanna return it, take it to where you bought it.  If you want it totally redone, only EMI can green-light that.

Wah! Everyone wants to bring me down! WAAAHHHHHH!!!

Blaming a shitty vinyl repress on 2 fucked up marriages has to be a first. 

And I'm sure the fucked up marriages weren't his fault either! amirite?

but seriously, the reason i don't think it was necessarily a quality control issue at virgin is, i'm sure the test presses sound fantastic. those are probably the ones he listened to and what he is defending. the problem is, the stampers probably breaking down in the inner grooves as the pressing went on, which is why we have some people saying it sounds fine, some people saying it sounds bad for the last minute, and some people saying the last two songs sound bad.

This guy's attitude towards the release pretty much made my decision for me. He could have at least cared a little. A little concern at least tells people you're willing to take some initiative on finding the culprit for this mess.

Apparently Oceania has this problem according to the board. Is it that bad? Haven't picked it up yet. The only reissues I've bought so far are Gish, Siamese, and Pisces.