Smashing Pumpkins

2 hours ago, jrodan said:

Weezer hurts your argument here, but your point is solid.

I would add Slowdive, Swervedriver and Ride to your list. Apparently it is easier for shoegaze bands to come back strong though haha.

Slowdive seconded. Saw them a couple months ago, absolutely astounding sound live. Almost positive it's going to be show of the year for me and I've still got some shows left-- Gorillaz, QOTSA, LCD Soundsystem, U2, and some smaller bands.... Hard to say LCD won't at least match them though.

Still upset I missed MBV though, they came through here the year before I discovered and got really into them. Hoping for that Loveless reissue and a tour... last I heard Shields had mentioned the possibility of a 2017 tour but so far no word on that. 

Edited by bluescreenlife

15 minutes ago, unravelled said:

Dino Jr says hello

But I'm afraid Billy's heavy hand in production has been a recent turn off for me.   He needs someone to help edit his vision and he definitely needs Jimmy. 

Not to mention his "new" vocal style and very prominent vocal production.  That shit needs to go back in the mix.

8 minutes ago, unravelled said:

Dino Jr says hello

But I'm afraid Billy's heavy hand in production has been a recent turn off for me.   He needs someone to help edit his vision and he definitely needs Jimmy. 

Beat me to it in regards to Dino Jr!

I'll also add the Descendents and Nine Inch Nails to the list of artists with strong late showings. Definitely don't agree with the inclusion of Weezer.

13 hours ago, unravelled said:

Dino Jr says hello

I was able to see Dino for the first time last year, at a Lollapalooza aftershow only for folks who work with their PR company (got in through a friend that works there), it was a room of about 150 people, Dino cramped onto a small stage, me standing right in front of J with his three marshall full stacks aimed right at my ears. He must not have felt the need to turn the volume down for a smaller room, I'm pretty sure it was just as loud as if he played a typical indoor venue. Lost my hearing for a couple days but it was worth it. At the time I was thinking man he plays in such a sloppy, hurried way, but I assume that's just his style.  Here's a pic: 

• 5 months later...

They're hardly teasing it, Billy's been posting on Instagram that they're in the studio with Rick Rubin. D'Arcy won't be joining them, but she confirmed there's a tour planned.

Their first show ever was October 5 1988 at the Metro in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if this is billed as a reunion-anniversary deal and the first show takes place in Oct at the Metro.

1 hour ago, gracetoo said:

They're hardly teasing it, Billy's been posting on Instagram that they're in the studio with Rick Rubin. D'Arcy won't be joining them, but she confirmed there's a tour planned.

Their first show ever was October 5 1988 at the Metro in Chicago. I wouldn't be surprised if this is billed as a reunion-anniversary deal and the first show takes place in Oct at the Metro.

No way this waits till Oct.

Either riotfest or some summer shed tour

2 hours ago, gracetoo said:

I heard the D'Arcy thing isn't true - that she had an account hacked or something and there hasn't been a confirmation either way about her being included in the reunion.

What we do know is Jeff is also playing on the music they're recording right now.  James may or may not be as we've only seen a photo of him in the studio talking to Billy and Jimmy.   Billy also snapped a pic of his guitar rig and it showed some basses on the rack.  So we can assume he'll be covering bass duties on the record.

18 hours ago, youspinmeround said:

No way this waits till Oct.

Either riotfest or some summer shed tour

I think Riot Fest is likely too, but that history with the Metro isn't to be ignored. Also, Iha has touring commitments  w/ A Perfect Circle through June. I really don't think a 30th Anniversary, reunited Smashing Pumpkins are going to do two months of dates before headlining Riot Fest. It takes place two weeks before the aforementioned "first show ever" so I'm pegging Mid Sept / Early Oct for this to be happening.

If the big announcement happens to be a Riot Fest reunion, expect them to do  a pre-show beforehand at the Metro to officially kick it off.  

No way that first show with the three of them together isn't in that room though.

Edited by gracetoo