Smashing Pumpkins

I just assumed the label issues stemmed from not wanting to put out a massive box set of their last popular (original group) album after putting out a large box set of Adore which is generally regarded as their the start of their decline.  So a renewed interest in the band could mean a renewed interest in sales. 

I asked my friend who went to the Toronto show if they played any Machina tracks fwiw. He said they played 3 in a 3.5 hr set.

I managed to buy a copy a decade ago on Discogs when it was 80 dollars-ish... Maybe even less. But I would sell that and re-up on a big-ass vinyl box set in a heartbeat.

Edited by arumajiro 零 一つ

On 8/25/2018 at 7:32 PM, timsimmons said:

I just assumed the label issues stemmed from not wanting to put out a massive box set of their last popular (original group) album after putting out a large box set of Adore which is generally regarded as their the start of their decline.  So a renewed interest in the band could mean a renewed interest in sales. 

Yeah, but they haven't had an album as good as Adore since either...

5 hours ago, arumajiro 零 一つ said:

I asked my friend who went to the Toronto show if they played any Machina tracks fwiw. He said they played 3 in a 3.5 hr set.

I managed to buy a copy a decade ago on Discogs when it was 80 dollars-ish... Maybe even less. But I would sell that and re-up on a big-ass vinyl box set in a heartbeat.

It is a greatest hits show with an unvarying setlist. 3 songs doesn't sound like much, but there are a lot of songs from the previous albums that need to be included.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:32 PM, timsimmons said:

nope. the original reissue deal was inked with Virgin/EMI. But Virgin again changed hands and management after Adore came out, and they weren't interested in doing more reissues the way Corgan wanted to. So he just abandoned it. He was more focused on new music at the time anyway. Now that Jimmy and James are back and they're playing the old songs, I think he became motivated to get the reissues rolling again. Machina/Machina II as originally planned is the most important reissue anyway. It's the one album that was never truly finished.

Though, I am also interested in the Greatest Hits CD boxset as he said it would finally contain the Metro DVD.

I also want a Zwan reissue because there were so many more songs recorded that never got released. (Spun soundtrack, ETC)

8 hours ago, endlessslog said:

It is a greatest hits show with an unvarying setlist. 3 songs doesn't sound like much, but there are a lot of songs from the previous albums that need to be included.

It's a  great show. I've seen them several times post original lineup, and this blows all of those away.  They sound great.  James handles most of the interaction with the crowd, band introductions, etc. I'd forgotten how funny of a guy he is. 

The 32 song setlist breaks down like this:

2 from Gish, 7 Siamese Dream, 8 Melon Collie. 3 Adore, 3 Machina. 4 covers, 2 soundtrack songs, 2 b-sides & 1 new song.

If you're are fan, I highly recommend you catch this tour. I can't imagine a Pumpkins show better than this in the future. 

Edited by tussin

1 hour ago, tussin said:

It's a  great show. I've seen them several times post original lineup, and this blows all of those away.  They sound great.  James handles most of the interaction with the crowd, band introductions, etc. I'd forgotten how funny of a guy he is. 

The 32 song setlist breaks down like this:

2 from Gish, 7 Siamese Dream, 8 Melon Collie. 3 Adore, 3 Machina. 4 covers, 2 soundtrack songs, 2 b-sides & 1 new song.

If you're are fan, I highly recommend you catch this tour. I can't imagine a Pumpkins show better than this in the future. 

I haven't really been a fan at all since Melon Collie but I had  a great time at the gig. Enough old stuff to keep me happy. Would have taken 2 more Gish tracks and a couple less  MC but whatever. Seeing Drown live was cool. It also helped the experience that I got a great $125+ ticket for $30 on stubhub an hour before the show. But Detroit was maybe half full. They actually closed off the upper deck and upgraded those people down to the lower bowl.

• 3 weeks later...
14 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

If you've followed the Instagram Q&A, all of that info came from there.  Billy said there will be some remixing and possibly some writing for interludes or something so the songs can connect better.  There will be new artwork for the set as well.

12 minutes ago, tonyfranciosa said:

Is the most recent re-issue of Adore out of print? I see it on Amazon from some 3rd party sellers. Had a backorder for it canceled by another vendor... seems to be scarce at the moment.

Yeah I recently bought it and it seemed that way. Gish seems to be in print & widely available, and Melloncollie boxset has recently been repressed but the others don't appear to have

4 hours ago, tonyfranciosa said:

Is the most recent re-issue of Adore out of print? I see it on Amazon from some 3rd party sellers. Had a backorder for it canceled by another vendor... seems to be scarce at the moment.

Seems like they lapse from time to time.  It's kind of crazy the Siamese Dream reissue is so much more expensive than Adore or Pisces Iscariot.  Even at the tour shows SD was twice as much as Adore at the merch tables.

Shiny and Oh So Bright Vol. 1.

Looks like we’ll probably see more preorders go up tomorrow when they drop Silvery Sometimes.

Maybe this will be followed with another LP next year?  Billy keeps mentioning new SP in 2019.  

https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B07H52J4GN/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_3BUMBbAAN6XHP

https://www.napalmrecordsamerica.com/store/smashingpumpkins/shopby/category-sound/

https://shop.napalmrecords.com/thesmashingpumpkins

label links which include the gold vinyl

LP details

SIDE A    (running time:17:53 )
1    Knights Of Malta
2    Silvery Sometimes (Ghosts)
3    Travels
4    Solara    
SIDE B    (running time:13:55 )
5    Alienation
6    Marchin’ On
7    With Sympathy