Smashing Pumpkins

1 hour ago, timsimmons said:

Yes. But for the past 10 years. Something will happen at some point, but don't hold your breath. Billy has lots of plans, but rarely sees things through.

Hes always been so down on Zwan and how it ended that i figured there was no chance in hell.  

that record is tied to such a fun time period for me 

14 hours ago, highfives said:

Another counter has been added and the “Explore the Ritual” site.

https://www.smashingpumpkins.com

Still trying to figure out puzzle #2, but answering the word jumble will get you a 20% off code good between 8/28 and 8/31... so you can guess something is popping up on the store after the single is released Friday.

you mind sharing the answer?

He wants it out there, yes.

But like I said, he WANTS a lot of stuff out there and has talked about dozens of releases over the years that haven't seen the light of day. He talked about archival live releases, maybe 5-6 years ago. It only looks like now one is getting done.

Edited by timsimmons

Just now, timsimmons said:

I think you’d get the casual fans for sure. A hits wouldn’t sell like a Siamese or MCIS would, but people would buy it. 

I'd buy it and I already own their first 3 and newest. I think it was the first CD I had if theirs (I had tapes of MCIS and Gish)

Initial thoughts on the two singles:

Overall, the production is a lot warmer and cohesive than Vol. 1.  The vocals are still a little higher than I think everyone prefers with BC's voice, but it's sitting a little better in the mix than most of the SP V2 stuff.

The Colour of Love is the stronger of the two for me, although the two songs remind me a little of Zero/God where they're kind of similar to a fault.  It might be the synth lines and prominent female vocals.  

The bridge in TCOL, where everything  drops and it comes back into that driving bass line and synth is perfect.  Vocally and lyrically, TCOL is the stronger of the two.  I dig the delivery BC's got going on.  Overall, I think this one is a really great intro to what this record might be.

The tease of Cyr had me anxious in a good way, but it's almost like everything heard in the teaser is everything the song has to offer.  Kind of a one-trick pony.  I dig the vibe but I almost feel like it should be the b-side to TCOL. 

There's some weird vocal phrasing, especially in that bridge.  It kind of suffers from the newer lyrical approach Billy has had for a while where he's trying to sound really smart and uses uncommon wording.  "TANGENTS VEX THE WHORL", "‘MIDST THE CHAFF, AS MEEK AND THOSE WEAK, AS SAND "... lines like that are just not that relatable, a spot where old SP really shined. 

Maybe all of this rolls up into a bigger story (obviously we're in some kind of big concept, whether that ends up being explained or not...) but as a song, that lyrical wordplay doesn't really do it for me on the  surface.

After these two, I think we're in for a solid record.  Although I am hoping for some huge drums, crushing guitars, and some dream-pop metal or something.