Smashing Pumpkins

I always have mixed feelings with new SP stuff... I go in open-minded but with low expectations, and I can usually find some positives, but then things just don't stick for very long. I think the biggest disappointment for me as a life-long fan is that everything they've done since they started declining commercially is clearly marked by an effort to get back to their original relevance, instead of just making whatever the hell they wanted, which is what made them great to begin with. Although, I gave Oceania another listen recently and I have to say it's holding up really well. As a sequence of songs I think it's actually stronger than Machina. All it's really lacking is that unhinged side of the SP spectrum that we will likely never hear again (think XYU, etc.), and there are a few unfortunate lyrical choices, but all in all it's a beautiful record that really should have made a bigger splash.

Anyhow, these new singles are sneakily catchy and I'm enjoying them; it definitely feels like a more upbeat continuation of The Future Embrace.

Edited by bjorn

Like Cyr.... But LOVE The Colour of Love. Sounds fresh, which I don't think I've said about a pumpkins release for 10 years.

Already 100x better than anything on Vol 1. Really hope they haven't put out the best tracks first and were treated to a killer album

Edited by beags

13 hours ago, dfresh said:

Been a fan since Gish and have liked much of their out put right up to the last album but Jimmy Chamberlain's talent is wasted on these tracks imo.

That thought crossed my mind as well. I'm hoping the full album lets him shine more. Also, the fact that there are now three guitarists in this band doesn't seem relevant in these tracks either.

14 hours ago, dfresh said:

Been a fan since Gish and have liked much of their out put right up to the last album but Jimmy Chamberlain's talent is wasted on these tracks imo.

I couldn't care less as long as the tracks are good, which I think these are (and much better than anything since Oceania)

Edited by craigeduk

For Shiny to be so short to begin with, and include a track as infuriatingly tepid as Travels, is tough to swallow. Monuments is pretty good and quite refreshing in its directness. But with it being so compact it really needed to be loaded front to back with bangers, which sadly wasn't quite achieved.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/31/2020 at 3:35 PM, bjorn said:

For Shiny to be so short to begin with, and include a track as infuriatingly tepid as Travels, is tough to swallow. Monuments is pretty good and quite refreshing in its directness. But with it being so compact it really needed to be loaded front to back with bangers, which sadly wasn't quite achieved.

Well the new one certaily won't be short.  20 track double album out 27th Nov 

Cyr:

01 The Colour of Love
02 Confessions of a Dopamine Addict
03 Cyr
04 Dulcet in E
05 Wrath
06 Ramona
07 Anno Satana
08 Birch Grove
09 Wyttch
10 Starrcraft