Smashing Pumpkins

On 12/23/2020 at 11:30 PM, kannibal said:

No, the price went up dramatically sometime after TAFH box set came out and they realized people would pay $30 per 12”. Originally Gish was $20 and SD was $25. Now SD goes for $50 list. 

I remember seeing this happen at Amoeba in LA. I scored a copy back then on these boards in a trade, but remember the price doubling on Siamese Dream in a matter of a month or two. One time it was $25, the next time it was like $45. No difference, just a new price. Someone for sure recognized that people would pay $25 per disc. Gish’s price never moved. 

• 2 months later...
31 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

First 2 vinyl only archival pressings going up soon (tomorrow?). Gonna be a 3-4 week window to order.  1 time Pressed to order.  Ships in 4-6 months.  Billy will post clips of all tracks.

Awesome! Maybe I’m just out of the loop, but any indication what these are? Live recordings? Part of Machina?

22 minutes ago, craigeduk said:

Hope we get a pressing of the real early demo tracks

I asked a while back when he was doing the Q&A’s if the Reel Time Studio sessions would be an archival release.  He said that would be one of them, so hopefully they’ll see the light of day at some point.

I’d love to have those pre-Gish tunes in an official release.

51 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

I'll take any show up through The Arising tour. 

What really made me a fan of Adore was some of those bootlegs that were online.  Boston ‘98 was a magical show.

There are some others that ended up becoming Euro CD boots back in the day that could be really dope too.  That ‘93 Astoria run would be amazing.

Ok, just rewatched his bit. 

they are ready finished short of production, but they won’t be up for order yet. They need to tie down the manufacturer. But they are mastered. So maybe a PO soon.

he did say there is a “wax” shortage. Which is news to me. I assume he’s referring to the lacquer shortage, or plants being way backed up. I’ve not heard of a PVC shortage too. 

Edited by timsimmons

• 2 months later...
11 hours ago, nelso330 said:

Disappointing - a shorted version of the LP and on 7”s - gross 

if this LP was amazing maybe it would be slightly tempting… 

Or if there were cool b-sides like on Aeroplane or the Siamese Singles box. My favorite songs from Zeitgeist were the bonus tracks. Cyr is a frustrating album because if you pick out the best 14 tracks you'd have a solid and completely enjoyable record. But suffering through Disney Halloween nonsense like Wyttch (worst SP song ever IMO), torpedoes the experience. Here's a version I'd find very little to complain about:

The Colour Of Love  
Confessions Of A Dopamine Addict  
Cyr  
Dulcet In E  
Wrath  
Ramona  
Anno Satana  
Birch Grove  
Wyttch  
Starrcraft  
Purple Blood  
Save Your Tears  
Telegenix  
Black Forest, Black Hills  
Adrennalynne  
Haunted  
The Hidden Sun  
Schaudenfreud  
Tyger, Tyger  
Minerva  

I’m still surprised at how bad the entirety of Cyr is. The pumpkins have been my favorite band since I was a kid and I’ve always found something on all of their releases to enjoy up until now. To each their own. I’m glad some people are digging it and I’m glad they’re still making music, but I just can’t bring myself to listen to it. That said, I’m super pumped for the Machina release and the live stuff as well. Hopefully the archival stuff isn’t astronomically expensive. 

6 minutes ago, derek123 said:

I’m still surprised at how bad the entirety of Cyr is. The pumpkins have been my favorite band since I was a kid and I’ve always found something on all of their releases to enjoy up until now. To each their own. I’m glad some people are digging it and I’m glad they’re still making music, but I just can’t bring myself to listen to it. That said, I’m super pumped for the Machina release and the live stuff as well. Hopefully the archival stuff isn’t astronomically expensive. 

Did you miss the first archival release?  Because it wasn't cheap.

24 minutes ago, highfives said:

Did you miss the first archival release?  Because it wasn't cheap.

No I saw it, but could not justify pulling the trigger on it. I don’t even know if it’s gatefold. If it had a book-like spine jacket with a lot of pictures and extensive liner notes or something then maybe. I’m ust being optimistic, but hopefully they’ll lower the price on a standard release on black vinyl for the archival stuff. Not too worried about it. I just really want Machina. I’ll pay whatever. I hope the artwork is sweet. I really really like the artwork for Machina l and ll. 

Edited by derek123

1 minute ago, derek123 said:

No I saw it, but could not justify pulling the trigger on it. I don’t even know if it’s gatefold. If it had a book-like spine jacket with a lots of pictures and extensive liner notes or something then maybe. I’m ust being optimistic, but hopefully they’ll lower the price on a standard release on black vinyl for the archival stuff. Not too worried about it. I just really want Machina. I’ll pay whatever. I hope the artwork is sweet. I really really like the artwork for Machina l and ll. 

I think I remember BC alluding to the initial price being lower than what the next one will be.  But I can't imagine the black press will be more expensive, especially if they're doing more than the purple 1st press.

For Cyr, I think that album will benefit from a lot of time and distance.  It's challenging, but in a lot of the wrong ways (lyrically, thematically, diversity, length, etc.).  However, I think once enough time has passed and all expectations have been removed, it will be viewed more favorably than it has been.  

46 minutes ago, highfives said:

I think I remember BC alluding to the initial price being lower than what the next one will be.  But I can't imagine the black press will be more expensive, especially if they're doing more than the purple 1st press.

For Cyr, I think that album will benefit from a lot of time and distance.  It's challenging, but in a lot of the wrong ways (lyrically, thematically, diversity, length, etc.).  However, I think once enough time has passed and all expectations have been removed, it will be viewed more favorably than it has been.  

Yeah, you may be right. Ive been skimming it today and there are some (very few) silver linings. Theres something there with the chorus in Wrath. Parts of Dulcet in E. Starrcraft is decent by this records standards. Here and there I hear something that moves me slightly, but I really have to dig. I think it’s just a very flat,  mono-toned record that lacks dynamics and guts. Its full of cheese and is completely saturated with synth. There’s nothing tasteful about it. It’s frustrating that this band has 3 incredibly bad ass guitar players and one of the best rock drummers that has ever lived and they have a record that sounds like Cyr. I guess I’m being selfish, but I just want them to kick out the jams. They try on Wyttch, but I think it’s pretty lack luster, but at least it kicks it up a notch for a minute. I’m not asking for another Siamese dream or Mellon collie, or anything, but it would be nice to hear what I love about this band on a record again, which is the ability to pick you up and beat the shit out of your ears for a while, then lay you down, patch you up, and sing you to sleep (without the overuse of synths and emphasizing the incredible talent of everyone in the band). I’m done. I’ll probably love the record 5 years from now. 

6 hours ago, highfives said:

Cyr exceeded my expectations. I was expecting it to be their worst album, but I think it's their third worst.