Smashing Pumpkins

I love Starrcraft, that's easily my favorite from the album because it's a little odd and has some of that magic from their creative peak. With a few tweaks I could see it as a Mellon Collie b-side or something. Intellectually I can appreciate trying to take a left turn by not relying on guitars. I also think the backing vocals really work, even though it's not my thing. Billy mentioned recently how much he likes Phantogram, and that gave me a little context for what I think he was trying to go for. But there's just no reason to make a double album based on that, so of course it collapses under its own weight. Releasing it as a shorter solo album would have made much more sense.

• 3 months later...

Machina update:

Universal has it in production and slotted for release. No release date. Really depends on the production time line which as we all know is currently fucked. 

sounds like his post 2000 material is being negotiated to be reissued with his current label. 

Third archive release TBA soon.

Edited by timsimmons

28 minutes ago, stl_ben said:

Heck I would even be happy if TheFutureEmbrace was just finally on spotify.  Don't make me get out my CDs!

I really like TheFutureEmbrace as well. I’ve never gotten around to listening to Zwan for some reason, but I listened to that solo album so much when it came out. 

7 hours ago, achillesstand7 said:

I really like TheFutureEmbrace as well. I’ve never gotten around to listening to Zwan for some reason, but I listened to that solo album so much when it came out. 

I think Mary Star of the Sea is probably my second favourite Billy release after Machina. You definitely should give it a whirl, it's actually insanely good.

• 6 months later...
26 minutes ago, chiefwahoo said:

Someone posted this on Discogs, so maybe? I am not on Instagram so I can't see the relevant post

referencing Siamese Dream, 2xLP, Album, RE, RM, RP, 180, 50999 67928 9 10

This is being pressed right now. Expect release soon. Follow Memphis Record Pressing Instagram.

prayer GIF

1 hour ago, highfives said:

Maybe it's both?  Kinda weird to wrap the Shiny-era artwork up with the Disarm clip.

I think it's tour with Jane's Addiction. A while back, Billy said they had a planned tour for 2020/21 for the 25th anniversary of MCIS that would be heavy MCIS setlist but that would be postponed. Perhaps they're planning something similar since 2023 is the 30th anniversary of Siamese Dream. So the setlist would be mostly SD/PI songs. They've been using some version of the Shiny imagery for all tours since James came back. 

2 hours ago, dreamover said:

I think it's tour with Jane's Addiction. A while back, Billy said they had a planned tour for 2020/21 for the 25th anniversary of MCIS that would be heavy MCIS setlist but that would be postponed. Perhaps they're planning something similar since 2023 is the 30th anniversary of Siamese Dream. So the setlist would be mostly SD/PI songs. They've been using some version of the Shiny imagery for all tours since James came back. 

It definitely is a tour with Jane’s.  They posted the same clip but with one of their songs playing.

Good call about the 30th anniversary.   I’m gonna have to see a Siamese tour if it happens.

57 minutes ago, Bronchitis said:

I had no idea that the 2011 Siamese Dream is going for so much. Same with the Mellon Collie box. That’s insane. I really wish I would have replaced mine when it was cheaper. I got the janky first pressing when it was $25 or whatever on Amazon and never bothered to get the fixed version. 

Yeah, I was unsure how long any of those represses were going to stick around so I grabbed like...every single one. Not the world's hugest Machina guy, but when those come out I'll probably snag them too just so I don't regret it down the line.

1 hour ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Yeah, I was unsure how long any of those represses were going to stick around so I grabbed like...every single one. Not the world's hugest Machina guy, but when those come out I'll probably snag them too just so I don't regret it down the line.

I grabbed SD on a whim at Everyday Music back when it first came out and ended up falling in love with the album. Glad I did because there’s no way I would pay the current price at all. I have never listened to a single song past Mellon Collie but will have to check Machina out when preorders go up.