Smashing Pumpkins

Just now, mcpherson123 said:

Now I'm curious to see what you edited out. Didn't catch your initial post before the edit.

It was back up on the SP site; went back to sold out after about 15 seconds.

(The thing that annoys me is the delay between getting an order in from a retailer and then them going through and cancelling them; i passed on two different site's listings thinking I'd bought one already only to find out later i hadn't.  I bought a copy yesterday from Acoustic Sounds *after* you posted it and have not received a cancellation email.  So i have no idea if i'll get that email at some point in the future as they work through all the orders, or if I actually have one of these coming my way 🙃 )

1 minute ago, iwokeinrelief said:

It was back up on the SP site; went back to sold out after about 15 seconds.

(The thing that annoys me is the delay between getting an order in from a retailer and then them going through and cancelling them; i passed on two different site's listings thinking I'd bought one already only to find out later i hadn't.  I bought a copy yesterday from Acoustic Sounds *after* you posted it and have not received a cancellation email.  So i have no idea if i'll get that email at some point in the future as they work through all the orders, or if I actually have one of these coming my way 🙃 )

GOOD. LORD.

I can't believe it was back yet again and then gone again. They have a 2 per customer limit on there. Honestly it really should be only 1 per customer at this point.

If you get that Acoustic Sounds one, I'm gonna shit myself. Intentionally. As a form of silent but stinky protest.

56 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

Think about which side of capital your mindset is conditioned to protect and defend. Hint: its not the consumer. Even if you're caught up in the issue of likelihood based on a pragmatic view that insinuates the tendency of a large business to blow off a person who was delivered a poorly manufactured that was acknowledged as poor and re-manufactured from scratch just because its been 10 years. Think about whose side you're taking by default and reconsider the utility of defending the party that you definitely don't belong to in a categorical and economic sense. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that you are not worldwide corporate record label.

Get real. You can't buy pants in 1972 and then return them to sears today because they're itchy (also not sure if sears still exists). Things have a finite warranty and it's ridiculous to think that any business could stay open if they just gave away new product if someone has a complaint and sat on it for a decade. You dropped the ball, the label owes you nothing. Stop being a karen.

7 minutes ago, SNEAKORDS said:

Get real. You can't buy pants in 1972 and then return them to sears today because they're itchy (also not sure if sears still exists). Things have a finite warranty and it's ridiculous to think that any business could stay open if they just gave away new product if someone has a complaint and sat on it for a decade. You dropped the ball, the label owes you nothing. Stop being a karen.

I feel like a Karen is more of a bootlicker who bows to authority both legal and corporate. I'd say you're fulfilling that role much better than I am.

The company still exists and the product has been continuously or frequently manufactured in its current and corrected form. The span of time from 1972 until today is FAR greater than the span of December 2012 until today. The product exists. Its not pants. Pants are definitively considered to wear out at a rate far greater than that of a vinyl record with regular normal use. Also, itchy pants is not a relevant analogy to audio quality degradation from the manufacturer on a vinyl record, the sole purpose of which is to produce sound and produce it as pleasantly and accurately as possible. The pants in your analogy, I assume, would still cover my legs.

The reality is if there are corrected copies of 4 PVC discs to replace my terrible sounding copies, they should be honored. A paying customer should receive what they paid for. If a replacement exists and the label is sitting on a correct product which costs them a minuscule amount of money to produce, they ought to replace it.

I understand there was no implicit warranty on the records to begin with but when you consider the history of this product and how the label responded to the criticism of the botched mastering that was manufactured, I don't think its crazy to request a replacement EVEN 10 years later. Do I believe I will definitely get one? Not necessarily. Do I believe people like yourself and myself and every other consumer of massive scale productions should expect to be honored for their purchase by a large business? Yes. Do I believe consumers like us should demand satisfaction from a raw deal from a major corporate business who took our money and delivered garbage, even IF it was 10 years ago? Yes.

Do I think people who purchase expensive products which essentially amount to luxury items should operate from  an ideology of pro-consumer expectations within their economy? Yes.

Do I find it utterly pathetic when a set of  consumers with comparatively no power other than the purchasing power of their dollar and the choice of where to spend it IMMEDIATELY unconsciously sides with a large multi-million dollar company when the issue of a dispute regarding a malfunctioning product comes up?

YES. I. DO.

Breakdown: Its not so much that I believe that you should believe that the label will or should definitely agree to my request. Its that you should come to a discussion of this nature thinking that you are on the side of the consumer in the dichotomy of consumer vs corporation because you are also a consumer and have more in common from an economic and social class perspective with the consumer in question.

See?

2 hours ago, iwokeinrelief said:

Available on the Smashing Pumpkins site again:

https://store.smashingpumpkins.com/collections/new-items/products/mellon-collie-and-the-infinite-sadness-4lp-box-set

must have been only a few; 3 minutes later it's back to sold out.

😂 up again for the moment. ~1 minute and gone.  wonder what's going on with the tiny micro stock adjustments.

Edited by iwokeinrelief

2 hours ago, SNEAKORDS said:

You actually can do this at Nordstrom. No joke. They will take back anything for any reason at any time. Best customer service and return policy in the world. 

It works for Nordstrom because it earns them lifelong customers and because the number of people who abuse the policy is very small. It wouldn't work for.a vinyl reseller, record label, or band. 

Just now, ntslash said:

You actually can do this at Nordstrom. No joke. They will take back anything for any reason at any time. Best customer service and return policy in the world. 

It works for Nordstrom because it earns them lifelong customers and because the number of people who abuse the policy is very small. It wouldn't work for.a vinyl reseller, record label, or band. 

Man, you were so close to proving my point until that end part. If a label is as big as Virgin or UMG or Atlantic, I don't see why you would say it wouldn't work when you already started from the Nordstrom paradigm. They have the resources.

Just now, deftbarley said:

REPLACE 👏 MY  👏 RECORDS  👏 THE  👏 CUSTOMER  👏 IS  👏 ALWAYS  👏 RIGHT 

Yes. My erroneously manufactured records should be replaced by the company that sold the poor quality product at a high premium. Was that supposed to be sarcastic?

You should have more defense on the customer side than the big business side unless you yourself are a big business. Find some class solidarity.

40 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Don't tell me what to do.

It was only a suggestion but if you're going to avoid doing something in your own best interest out of spite that's up to you. 

43 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Return them ding dong.

The store is not responsible and I would never expect a brick and mortar vendor to take responsibility for what is clearly the fault of the manufacturer or company that ordered the manufacturing. 

Plus it was a gift and I don't hold the receipt. 

9 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

The store is not responsible and I would never expect a brick and mortar vendor to take responsibility for what is clearly the fault of the manufacturer

The store should stand behind the products they sell. They would have accepted a return. Sounds like you're shirking responsibility.

12 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

The store should stand behind the products they sell. They would have accepted a return. Sounds like you're shirking responsibility.

The store is not responsible for the mistake and as an informed consumer, I know enough to be aware of that. The store would likely have no stock of the item and also foots the cost of replacement if i hold them specifically to account which I know not to do. If it's not their fault, they should not pay for it. It's not their fault.

Lol still fighting in favor of the party with all the resources who failed to meet their end of the transaction and clearly has the resources to rectify the problem. 

That's extra weird, dude. 

Just now, mcpherson123 said:

The store is not responsible for the mistake and as an informed consumer, I know enough to be aware of that. The store would likely have no stock of the item and also foots the cost of replacement if i hold them specifically to account which I know not to do. If it's not their fault, they should not pay for it. It's not their fault.

Lol still fighting in favor of the party with all the resources who failed to meet their end of the transaction and clearly has the resources to rectify the problem. 

That's extra weird, dude. 

Wrong. You could have returned it. You've obviously never worked in retail. I have. Class solidarity brother. 

The store should 100% stand behind delivering a quality product to the consumer. That's their business after all. If they get a return for a faulty product, they refund the customers money and then send the product back to the manufacturer. 

You didn't return your faulty product when you had the chance. You're drawing a crazy wavy line of who should be responsible and who shouldn't. There's a system setup for cases like this and you didn't do anything at the time. It's your fault for keeping the product. Sometimes manufacturers/distributors will issue a recall program for faulty vinyl. Just happened with Green Day's Insomniac. They didn't do this for this release. Although it looks like some people that took proactive steps had theirs replaced. You did nothing proactive and you're just complaining. That's extra weird, dude. 

7 minutes ago, deftbarley said:

Wrong. You could have returned it. You've obviously never worked in retail. I have. Class solidarity brother. 

The store should 100% stand behind delivering a quality product to the consumer. That's their business after all. If they get a return for a faulty product, they refund the customers money and then send the product back to the manufacturer. 

You didn't return your faulty product when you had the chance. You're drawing a crazy wavy line of who should be responsible and who shouldn't. There's a system setup for cases like this and you didn't do anything at the time. It's your fault for keeping the product. Sometimes manufacturers/distributors will issue a recall program for faulty vinyl. Just happened with Green Day's Insomniac. They didn't do this for this release. Although it looks like some people that took proactive steps had theirs replaced. You did nothing proactive and you're just complaining. That's extra weird, dude. 

I have absolute worked in retail. Class solidarity is a frame of mind, not a resume entry. You embody it in your ideological stances and personal ethics. Simply working in retail does not automatically grant you class solidarity. You could work in retail and still side with an abusive management system. You would definitely be lacking class solidarity in that case and still working in retail.

The store obviously cannot be expected to maintain stock of the item but I know the owner of the intellectual property of the music has ordered the manufacture of more copies of the product. So now that we've wasted time coming to the conclusion that the return to the vendor is out of the question or just less logical, I'm simply positing that its a good idea to contact the company responsible for the manufacturing of the product to attempt to get satisfaction. And you don't have to believe that they will do anything to help me but you should be operating from the perspective that they SHOULD provide me with a corrected product.

And actually, we don't know for certain that I no longer have "the chance."  I'm just assuming I wouldn't trouble a small business with something that should be a walk in the park for the source of the product. But maybe I still can consult with the store for advice. I haven't done that yet. I know the stores are generally expected to "stand behind" or "guarantee" products but that is also an outdated and unduly troubling paradigm for the vendor. I have the capability of reflection and critical thought.  If a store no longer carries a produce I have an issue with, I go to the manufacturer. Its very simple. Its not a "crazy wavy line" its pretty simple logic. Even if it was 2013 or 2014 right now I would think to contact the record label directly.

I'm literally not just complaining. I'm offering an idea for a solution after considering all of the hurdles that are up in the face of your incessant reliance on there being only ONE SOLE solution and no other possibilities whatsoever at all to protect the honor(?) of a record label being able to dismiss me outright. Truly weird, dude.

17 minutes ago, mcpherson123 said:

I have absolute worked in retail. Class solidarity is a frame of mind, not a resume entry. You embody it in your ideological stances and personal ethics. Simply working in retail does not automatically grant you class solidarity. You could work in retail and still side with an abusive management system. You would definitely be lacking class solidarity in that case and still working in retail.

The store obviously cannot be expected to maintain stock of the item but I know the owner of the intellectual property of the music has ordered the manufacture of more copies of the product. So now that we've wasted time coming to the conclusion that the return to the vendor is out of the question or just less logical, I'm simply positing that its a good idea to contact the company responsible for the manufacturing of the product to attempt to get satisfaction. And you don't have to believe that they will do anything to help me but you should be operating from the perspective that they SHOULD provide me with a corrected product.

And actually, we don't know for certain that I no longer have "the chance."  I'm just assuming I wouldn't trouble a small business with something that should be a walk in the park for the source of the product. But maybe I still can consult with the store for advice. I haven't done that yet. I know the stores are generally expected to "stand behind" or "guarantee" products but that is also an outdated and unduly troubling paradigm for the vendor. I have the capability of reflection and critical thought.  If a store no longer carries a produce I have an issue with, I go to the manufacturer. Its very simple. Its not a "crazy wavy line" its pretty simple logic. Even if it was 2013 or 2014 right now I would think to contact the record label directly.

I'm literally not just complaining. I'm offering an idea for a solution after considering all of the hurdles that are up in the face of your incessant reliance on there being only ONE SOLE solution and no other possibilities whatsoever at all to protect the honor(?) of a record label being able to dismiss me outright. Truly weird, dude.

In other words, you want to speak to the manager?

Such a long winded way to say you've done nothing and expect a corrected product.

Edited by deftbarley