Smashing Pumpkins

Just finally got around to listening to the new song.  My thoughts are that it's just ok, not great but not bad either.  The drums stand out to me, I love Jimmy Chamberlin's drumming, always have.  I guess they're performing on the Late Show with Jimmy Fallon on Monday, might be an interesting thing to watch, especially if D'arcy shows up in disguise and starts a fight on live tv.

4 hours ago, thesecrets0308 said:

My thoughts are that it's just ok, not great but not bad either.  The drums stand out to me, I love Jimmy Chamberlin's drumming, always have. 

9 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

I wish Billy would bury his vocals a little more in the mix. 

Pretty much all that can be said about it

New song sounded unnecessary. It takes more than just reuniting old members in a practice studio to jam around ideas. It still sounds like post-breakup SP music so if you dig Billy's efforts since then and recognize it as genuine Smashing Pumpkins, this single is for you. Don't think that J.Iha brought anything to the table or his presence helped to dig something that was buried in the past. 

From any expectations that I ever had left regarding SP, the one that I still have seems the most impossible at this point: getting the Machina reissue to finally lock the door.

• 2 months later...

Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems like the label said, "oh, attention on the band is at the highest its been in 15 years, yeah, we'll do it now".

But in a way, its kinda cool. This is basically the 2000 incarnation of the band, so to put this out now is basically saying, "heres where we left off..."

That being said, I'm happy to finally get this so I can be done with the band. 

On 8/25/2018 at 3:40 AM, kramer73 said:

Honestly, just give me the greatest hits.

Just curious,  what is the appeal of that when you most likely have all the albums. To me,  sp was an album not a singles band and just throwing songs on a record for the sake of consumerism  (especially in a digital age) is pointless.

53 minutes ago, youspinmeround said:

Just curious,  what is the appeal of that when you most likely have all the albums. To me,  sp was an album not a singles band and just throwing songs on a record for the sake of consumerism  (especially in a digital age) is pointless.

I just want it on vinyl, that's all.

14 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Maybe I'm being cynical, but it seems like the label said, "oh, attention on the band is at the highest its been in 15 years, yeah, we'll do it now".

But in a way, its kinda cool. This is basically the 2000 incarnation of the band, so to put this out now is basically saying, "heres where we left off..."

That being said, I'm happy to finally get this so I can be done with the band. 

If you follow Billy’s Instagram account, he’s been doing Q&A’s all the time.  He said they just wrapped up the legal bullshit that was keeping the Machina reissue from happening.  So it isn’t a “we’re kinda popular right now” thing and more of a “we finally dealt with label bullshit” thing.

He also said all the procurement and backend stuff for getting the reissue ready has been completed, so we’ll hopefully see it sooner rather than later.

He also talked about the archival releases and setting up vinyl distribution for that series, which will start in 2019.

11 hours ago, highfives said:

So it isn’t a “we’re kinda popular right now” thing and more of a “we finally dealt with label bullshit” thing.

Not so sure the two are mutually exclusive. I would speculate that the tour proving their popularity helped clear some hurdles. I'm still not sure this will be a big seller, but I'm happy it is happening.