Smashing Pumpkins

got an email from amazon today about insufficient funds in my bank account. apparently they didn't take my money a fucking MONTH ago, when i preordered.

now all i can do is wait another week for my paycheck and hope these don't sell out. i know they made a ton.

(talkin' about the siamese dream and gish boxes, not the vinyl)

When I placed my pre-order, the CD/DVD boxes showed an estimated delivery of November 29th with 2 day shipping but the vinyl showed December 2nd for some reason, so I only pre-ordered the CD/DVD and am hoping to find the vinyl locally tomorrow.

UPS says my package is out for delivery RIGHT NOW so I should have them tonight. Huzzah!

Listening to the Deluxe CD version of Gish right now. The remaster on the album is great, but it really shines on the bonus material. Starla has never sounded this good outside a live setting!

Giving it a first listen now and I love what he's done with the new mix of 'Starla'. It wasn't lacking in muscle before but - especially the ending guitar solo - it has all kinds of new ooomph. I never thought I'd say this again with the past decade plus of mis-steps, but well played Mr. Corgan. Well played.

Giving it a first listen now and I love what he's done with the new mix of 'Starla'. It wasn't lacking in muscle before but - especially the ending guitar solo - it has all kinds of new ooomph. I never thought I'd say this again with the past decade plus of mis-steps, but well played Mr. Corgan. Well played.
I always thought Starla was one of the best Gish-era songs, but that it lacked some proper mastering. A bit soft and thin for my taste even when played at high volumes. This new master brings out a lot of the punch the Pisces Iscariot version was missing, in my opinion.

Another interesting thing to note is that while these remasters are definitely louder than their 90s counterparts, they are not compressed to death or brickwalled. Thank you Billy, Thank you.

I was wondering the sound quality on these. I have the old vinyl of both of these (and Pisces). The artwork looks kind of cool.

I've heard the Pisces Iscariot may be released for RSD 2012. Also in 2012, Mellon Collie and Aeroplane Flies High- first time on vinyl. Wondering how that will be done? it'd be cool if they did a replica of the CD box set, except on 10" or 12". Still wonder what extras these will all have.

i couldn't wait til tonight and downloaded the mp3s last night. didn't get much out of listening to it on my computer and it was too late to listen to them on my stereo. but i listened to the first four tracks off gish on the way to work this morning and HOLY CRAP do these sound good. it's so loud but not too loud. no clipping or wall of distortion. these sound GOOD. if you are a pumpkins fan and are on the fence about these reissues, trust me, you want these.

i'll spin the vinyl tonight and comment on those specifically, but if they sound as good as the mp3's they already make the original issues obsolete.

My CD boxes arrived last night and the packaging alone is worth the price. Just gorgeous.

Of the two stores I checked with today, the first only had 'Siamese Dream' on vinyl - why would you stock one but not the other, especially since they had both CD formats for 'Gish' - so I grabbed that but was more than a little miffed. The second shop hadn't gotten their UPS shipment yet so no go.

Sometimes I hate this town. Oh well. The vinyl packages are even more gorgeous than the CD boxes. If you weren't going to get the new rekkids because you had original pressings, I think you're making a mistake. Both have their place in any fan's collection.

I guess the LPs dont have the Billy liner notes? Would really like to read those.

I don't think so :( That would be cool though. Do these come with DL coupons? I'm thinking not, but i'm having trouble finding Gish Deluxe to download ???

No liner notes - which is silly because there's two sides of inner sleeve wasted with just the flower design on the 'Siamese Dream' issue where his notes would have easily fit - and no download coupon. (Again, kind of silly, but my understanding is that the vinyl got a different master from the disc and anyone who is buying the vinyl is most likely not purchasing their first copy of the albums. That said, I firmly believe every LP should come with a download code so that's a bit of a miss.)

These do, however, come with a download code for the Smashing Pumpkins Record Club. Not sure if it's a new track or one of the ones that he's already put out as I haven't gotten around to trying them yet, but there's something.

I've got all those SPRC demos. They're good. I think there are like 5 of them. Barb Wire is the best one, its rockin'.

barb wire is an instrumental to an old cutting room floor ditty called Tulips, it was recorded for siamese dream but never made the record.

you can find it on the bootleg "quiet and other songs" or you can possibly even find the actual studio session it came from (which this bootleg pretty much is, just in the wrong order and missing some songs), if you want to go that rout.

the internet is a magical and wonderful place.

p.s.

there is a really interesting alternate take of "set the ray to jerry" on the same bootleg, with completely different lyrics for the verses, and a horrible vocal performance during the choruses, if this means anything to you.

I've got all those SPRC demos. They're good. I think there are like 5 of them. Barb Wire is the best one, its rockin'.

barb wire is an instrumental to an old cutting room floor ditty called Tulips, it was recorded for siamese dream but never made the record.

you can find it on the bootleg "quiet and other songs" or you can possibly even find the actual studio session it came from (which this bootleg pretty much is, just in the wrong order and missing some songs), if you want to go that rout.

the internet is a magical and wonderful place.

p.s.

there is a really interesting alternate take of "set the ray to jerry" on the same bootleg, with completely different lyrics for the verses, and a horrible vocal performance during the choruses, if this means anything to you.

Sure does. I dl'd that a while back and I love that version of Set the Ray to Jerry. Thats one of my favorite Smashing Pumpkins songs. ;D

listened to both remastered cds in the car today and i'm really impressed. spun SD vinyl and not impressed. hopefully i just gotta do some tuning on the table.

I'm listening to the vinyl now and I'm similarly not terribly impressed. It's not bad but it's not really any sort of improvement over the original.

The packaging, though, is worth the price alone.