Smashing Pumpkins

On 4/29/2017 at 4:01 PM, highfives said:

It's probably just the next bootleg that is coming out.  There has been a consistent output of SP radio  roadcast bootlegs coming out.

maybe. but i've never seen bullmoose carry any of those bootlegs, and those are usually put out by that Let Them Eat Vinyl label. This one is listed as 'BMG Rights Management' which is the distributor for Billy's "Martha's Music" label. Also, the fact that Bullmoose had it in their catalog as an RSD release is interesting (didn't allow preorders like other RSD releases). 

3 hours ago, dreamover said:

maybe. but i've never seen bullmoose carry any of those bootlegs, and those are usually put out by that Let Them Eat Vinyl label. This one is listed as 'BMG Rights Management' which is the distributor for Billy's "Martha's Music" label. Also, the fact that Bullmoose had it in their catalog as an RSD release is interesting (didn't allow preorders like other RSD releases). 

Consider my interests piqued.

• 2 months later...
5 hours ago, highfives said:

There's been some movement on the official Facebook page.  Profile and Cover images have been updated to the sacred heart (black and white) and they're posting old concert posters. 

Edit:  also, this:  http://smashingpumpkins.com/

What are we thinking here? I know Corgan is selling pretty much his entire suite of instruments from various recording sessions in his career, think this has anything to do with that? 

Just now, pepperonigin said:

What are we thinking here? I know Corgan is selling pretty much his entire suite of instruments from various recording sessions in his career, think this has anything to do with that? 

I think they're ramping up the OG lineup.  I'm not sure if Billy is selling off the old stuff to get capital for a world tour or just to clear the slate and start SPOG fresh.  I guess we'll find out!

Just now, highfives said:

I think they're ramping up the OG lineup.  I'm not sure if Billy is selling off the old stuff to get capital for a world tour or just to clear the slate and start SPOG fresh.  I guess we'll find out!

That's right, I completely forgot about those rumors. It would definitely bring a dynamic element back to the band but SP was always Corgan and Chamberlain anyways. I would still be excited about this though. I honestly love everything he's put out under the Pumpkins moniker, as well as everything else in between.

Just now, pepperonigin said:

That's right, I completely forgot about those rumors. It would definitely bring a dynamic element back to the band but SP was always Corgan and Chamberlain anyways. I would still be excited about this though. I honestly love everything he's put out under the Pumpkins moniker, as well as everything else in between.

After the 07 reunion, it kind of became apparent to me that even though the majority of the Pumpkins sound is from BC and JC, James and Darcy definitely had a hand in cultivating songs.  The word was always that Darcy was the kind of taste maker in the band and would steer Billy away from things that weren't working.  If the OG lineup does reform and write new music, we'll see if that's the case or not.

I do enjoy the entire catalog, but the later stuff is missing something compared to the pre-breakup material.  BC's vocal delivery is one of those things, but there are other things too.

His heavier hand in production has turned me off. Machina is good, but there is something about the sound of it vs. all the earlier SP stuff is off for me. I can't put my finger on it. Post breakup, I think his songwriting has been pretty crappy. 25% good stuff, the rest meh.

Edited by timsimmons

58 minutes ago, timsimmons said:

His heavier hand in production has turned me off. Machina is good, but there is something about the sound of it vs. all the earlier SP stuff is off for me. I can't put my finger on it. Post breakup, I think his songwriting has been pretty crappy. 25% good stuff, the rest meh.

Pre-Zwan stuff was awesome and Zwan proper was really solid with some of it rivaling the best SP work (full version of MSTOS specifically).

I think the later full length SP albums have a definite hit or miss quality.  The hits are great but the misses are big misses.

Monuments suffers from not having Jimmy, as does Oceania and the Teargarden songs, but there are great songs in all of that. 

2 hours ago, highfives said:

Pre-Zwan stuff was awesome and Zwan proper was really solid with some of it rivaling the best SP work (full version of MSTOS specifically).

I think the later full length SP albums have a definite hit or miss quality.  The hits are great but the misses are big misses.

Monuments suffers from not having Jimmy, as does Oceania and the Teargarden songs, but there are great songs in all of that. 

I think Zwan is fantastic. Zeitgeist is probably half good, Oceania I really enjoy; not too many misses there for me. Monuments I really didn't enjoy too much. All things considered I think it's been more good than bad. I do agree that without Chamberlain there's a hole there. Despite all of his foibles and questionable actions, Corgan is still a great songwriter. If the rumors are true this would really be something fun to see.

• 3 weeks later...

My favorite record post break-up is, believe, TheFutureEmbrace. It's the most representative effort of Billy following his instincs without worrying about the connections with Pumpkins, drummers, old members, social media... and I also love the way there's this synthpop connection all over it. Hopefully he'll eventually follow this path in the future, he's pretty good with blending his songwriting with 80's goth/synth influences.

The thought of an original lineup reunion doesn't do much for me - except maybe for touring reasons although I don't go to stadium shows.

I know better than to have high expectations for any potential new material this long after the band's prime, no matter who's in whatever band is being discussed.

2 minutes ago, jeromium said:

The thought of an original lineup reunion doesn't do much for me - except maybe for touring reasons although I don't go to stadium shows.

I know better than to have high expectations for any potential new material this long after the band's prime, no matter who's in whatever band is being discussed.

There are loads of bands who have released new material, after their prime, that has been on the level of their prime material.  I'm not saying an OG lineup would release another Siamese Dream but I won't completely discount it either.

2 minutes ago, highfives said:

There are loads of bands who have released new material, after their prime, that has been on the level of their prime material.  I'm not saying an OG lineup would release another Siamese Dream but I won't completely discount it either.

It's all subjective of course, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. 

I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than to have any sort of high expectations. :)

2 minutes ago, jeromium said:

It's all subjective of course, but I can't think of any off the top of my head. 

I prefer to be pleasantly surprised than to have any sort of high expectations. :)

Agreed about being surprised.  I check my expectations with all post-Zeitgeist output.  

Some bands I can think of; My Bloody Valentine, Afghan Whigs, Weezer.

2 minutes ago, highfives said:

Agreed about being surprised.  I check my expectations with all post-Zeitgeist output.  

Weezer hurts your argument here, but your point is solid.

I would add Slowdive, Swervedriver and Ride to your list. Apparently it is easier for shoegaze bands to come back strong though haha.

5 minutes ago, highfives said:

That Weezer claim is a mighty one...Feels Like Summer is....hardly Weezer at all. But half of white and most of ewbaite were pretty solid for what they've become. They will never be og lineup without Matt Sharp...which will never happen. 

Slowdive though...god yes that new album is so solid!