Sortof Official Tooth and Nail Vinyl Discography

kriss

He Is Legend - I Am Hollywood

Showbread - No Sir Nihilism Is Not Practical

and Dead Poetic - New Medicines

Would all do really well as far as sales. I ecspecially see I Am Hollywood happening the way Son I Loved You At Your Darkest did.

I had seen just as many people clamor for I Am Hollywood that begged for SILYAYD. I think that 2002-2004 Era stuff would do really well.

I also think that pressing all of The Chariots SS catalog would do well, considering that their Good Fight releases have done well on vinyl.

Individual presses of Norma Jeans discography would also do well considering the only way they were available before was the box set and there were issues with those.

I'm sorry. Technically it's all the same label. Both the As Cities Burn releases after SILYAYD were tooth and nail, obviously those would do well.

I think Far-Less - Everyone Is Out To Get Us would do well/would appeal to mostly the same crowd as the other bands I listed. Emery - The Question and In Shallow Seas We Sail have been begged for, for awhile.

I would personally DIE if any of the Sent By Ravens or Ivoryline stuff got pressed, but that's more of hopeful dream.

Thousand Foot Krutch, Classic Crime, and Number One Gun stuff might do well, as well as repress of Mae and Anberlin stuff, Never Take Friendship Personal especially.

I'm sorry. Technically it's all the same label. Both the As Cities Burn releases after SILYAYD were tooth and nail, obviously those would do well.

I think Far-Less - Everyone Is Out To Get Us would do well/would appeal to mostly the same crowd as the other bands I listed. Emery - The Question and In Shallow Seas We Sail have been begged for, for awhile.

I would personally DIE if any of the Sent By Ravens or Ivoryline stuff got pressed, but that's more of hopeful dream.

Thousand Foot Krutch, Classic Crime, and Number One Gun stuff might do well, as well as repress of Mae and Anberlin stuff, Never Take Friendship Personal especially.

You're good, no worries :) I don't think T&N is looking to repress Mae and Anberlin right now...those albums sold out but you can still track down those albums if you look--maybe not for their original retail price but they're still out there. Number One Gun probably wouldn't sell through a press of 500, in my opinion. The Classic Crime albums, particularly The Silver Cord, might be good candidates. With Thousand Foot Krutch, I'm not sure they have a vinyl-buying fanbase. Sure, their Kickstarter for their last album did quite well and that demonstrates that they have a fanbase who is willing to spend money, but I think TFK vinyl would end up being a collector's item for the 200-300 people who'd *might* buy their records. I think TFK vinyl is just too big of a question mark for the label to bet on. Farless, Ivoryline and Sent By Ravens would be tough sells as well, I hate to say.

I think Emery is a very likely candidate for vinyl pressings...

How about some 'Slick Shoes'...

Burn Out

Wake Up Screaming

I know they've been inactive for awhile, but i think they deserve some pressing love.

I agree, they do deserve some pressing love. But you touch on the problem with attempting a Slick Shoes pressing, and that's their inactive status..they haven't been active for 10 years...yeah, you'd get maybe 150-200 people stoked to buy but no more. And to be honest, I think the best shot T&N would have for selling through a pressing of Slick Shoes would be of the Self-Titled album.

oh, this thread is back! I'll try to cut out a half an hour or so in the coming week to update the list on page 1 with all the stuff that's come out over the past year.

Also, while I'm not a huge Slick Shoes fan AT ALL these days, I'd totally grab a copy of Burn Out since that was my jam when I was 16.

As much as I kind of liked I Am Hollywood, I honestly can't see that selling anywhere close to a chunk in a pressing of even 500.

I'm not good for Combat's question, because honestly, I can't stand 99% of what T&N put out after 2000. The stuff I'd want pressed to vinyl - Morella's Forest, Joe Christmas's Upstairs Overlooking, etc - I know wouldn't justify a pressing by any stretch.

Blenderhead - Prime Candidate for Burnout (1994)

One of the first Tooth & Nail releases, and definitely one of the first few that still holds up. I love all the Blenderhead albums, but I have no idea what the demand is for them given that they never reunited or did many other projects. Then again, people are apparently still interested in Craig's Brother on vinyl, so what the hell do I know.

Danielson Famile - A Prayer for Every Hour (1995)

This might be owned by Secretly Canadian now, but if it's not... Danielson for me encapsulates why T&N was great in the 90s. For every samey pop punk album they put out, there was a cool off-kilter release like this, Joy Electric, Pedro the Lion, Frodus, Havalina, etc. Plus it's the debut album by a critical darling that's still active.

Starflyer 59 represses (1995-2006)

I mean come ON. The original presses of everything Gold through Leave Here a Stranger go for $50-$100+, and there's lots of demand from people who love the first half of his discography but don't want to touch it at those prices. Also pressing My Island and I Am the Portuguese Blues would complete their full-length discography, and both are great albums.

Roadside Monument - Beside This Brief Hexagonal (1996)

Great band, significant for having a sizable fanbase outside the Christian rock bubble, this is their only album short enough to fit on a single LP and it's a good one. Runner-up goes to I Am the Day of Current Taste for also being awesome and being produced by J Robbins.

MxPx - Let It Happen (1998)

If they're going to to a 2xLP pressing of Pokinatcha, which is their worst "true punx" album, they might as well do a 2xLP pressing of Let It Happen (and include the 2 missing songs from the 17 7"). Let It Happen was the introduction to the band for a lot of people, myself included, lots of people still don't even know it's a collection. And at that point, might as well just repress all the MxPx albums, since people will buy them.

Further Seems Forever - The Moon Is Down (2001)

No explanation necessary really.

Joy Electric - The White Songbook (2002)

A mainstay of the label, one of the longest-running acts on T&N, Ronnie Martin has been under appreciated and dismissed as a novelty by everyone because he was always that "weird techno guy" on all the label samplers, so he toils on, making brilliant synth pop for the last 20 years. Joy Electric's releases got stronger as he went on, but of the second half of his catalog only Ministry of Archers has been pressed. This album starts the Legacy Series, and has a few of his more well known songs.

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr and Kiss the Child (2002)

The version in the Vinyl Collective box set was a nightmare. Shitty GZ vinyl, mediocre sound, laughable packaging, and most jarringly, second-long gaps between songs. This is the most popular Norma Jean album by far and it deserves to be presented properly.

Discover America - Psychology (2005)

I don't know about it being part of any sort of Tooth & Nail retrospective series because in terms of the label, it's more of a curiosity, but Chris Staples is still active, twothirtyeight just reunited for some shows, and it's a really strong, critically acclaimed release.

The Chariot back catalog (2005-2009)

Durrrrrrrrrr.

Children 18:3 - Children 18:3 (2008)

500 copies, foldover jacket, black vinyl, ten bucks. I think it would be awesome, since they're currently the closest thing to a punk band on Tooth & Nail and also because I have bad ideas.

Bleach - Again, for the First Time (2002)

Bleach - Farewell Old Friends (2005)

Far-Less - Everyone Is Out to Get Us (2006)

Neon Horse - Neon Horse (2007)

These would be a bad idea and would lose a lot of money. Do it anyway.

oh, this thread is back! I'll try to cut out a half an hour or so in the coming week to update the list on page 1 with all the stuff that's come out over the past year.

Also, while I'm not a huge Slick Shoes fan AT ALL these days, I'd totally grab a copy of Burn Out since that was my jam when I was 16.

As much as I kind of liked I Am Hollywood, I honestly can't see that selling anywhere close to a chunk in a pressing of even 500.

I'm not good for Combat's question, because honestly, I can't stand 99% of what T&N put out after 2000. The stuff I'd want pressed to vinyl - Morella's Forest, Joe Christmas's Upstairs Overlooking, etc - I know wouldn't justify a pressing by any stretch.

I've seen A LOT of people on this board clamoring for I Am Hollywood. I think it would sell roughly the same way SILYAYD did.

One of the first Tooth & Nail releases, and definitely one of the first few that still holds up. I love all the Blenderhead albums, but I have no idea what the demand is for them given that they never reunited or did many other projects. Then again, people are apparently still interested in Craig's Brother on vinyl, so what the hell do I know.

This might be owned by Secretly Canadian now, but if it's not... Danielson for me encapsulates why T&N was great in the 90s. For every samey pop punk album they put out, there was a cool off-kilter release like this, Joy Electric, Pedro the Lion, Frodus, Havalina, etc. Plus it's the debut album by a critical darling that's still active.

I mean come ON. The original presses of everything Gold through Leave Here a Stranger go for $50-$100+, and there's lots of demand from people who love the first half of his discography but don't want to touch it at those prices. Also pressing My Island and I Am the Portuguese Blues would complete their full-length discography, and both are great albums.

Great band, significant for having a sizable fanbase outside the Christian rock bubble, this is their only album short enough to fit on a single LP and it's a good one. Runner-up goes to I Am the Day of Current Taste for also being awesome and being produced by J Robbins.

If they're going to to a 2xLP pressing of Pokinatcha, which is their worst "true punx" album, they might as well do a 2xLP pressing of Let It Happen (and include the 2 missing songs from the 17 7"). Let It Happen was the introduction to the band for a lot of people, myself included, lots of people still don't even know it's a collection. And at that point, might as well just repress all the MxPx albums, since people will buy them.

A mainstay of the label, one of the longest-running acts on T&N, Ronnie Martin has been under appreciated and dismissed as a novelty by everyone because he was always that "weird techno guy" on all the label samplers, so he toils on, making brilliant synth pop for the last 20 years. Joy Electric's releases got stronger as he went on, but of the second half of his catalog only Ministry of Archers has been pressed. This album starts the Legacy Series, and has a few of his more well known songs.

The version in the Vinyl Collective box set was a nightmare. Shitty GZ vinyl, mediocre sound, laughable packaging, and most jarringly, second-long gaps between songs. This is the most popular Norma Jean album by far and it deserves to be presented properly.

I don't know about it being part of any sort of Tooth & Nail retrospective series because in terms of the label, it's more of a curiosity, but Chris Staples is still active, twothirtyeight just reunited for some shows, and it's a really strong, critically acclaimed release.

Durrrrrrrrrr.

500 copies, foldover jacket, black vinyl, ten bucks. I think it would be awesome, since they're currently the closest thing to a punk band on Tooth & Nail and also because I have bad ideas.

YES! Far-less and Neon Horse need to happen for sure. Agree with all of these other ones...

BUT ALSO WATASHI WA!

Alex's list is actually perfect to what I'd love to see, right down to the few post 2000 exceptions (including that Children 18:3 album, which, as embarrassing as it is, was a total favorite for me for awhile). I remember paying $65 for a copy of Gold and thinking I was getting a solid deal, I'd eat up EVERY SF59 release the Nail deigned to release - same with Let It Happen (I won't lie, totally caved and got Pokinatcha when it went up). Thinking back on it, it'd actually be really nice to get the first Velour 100 record as well, which I think would have a fighting chance along with Morella's Forest since both bands were really shoegaze-y and could have potential 'lost' appeal to fans of that genre's resurgence nowadays. Weak as some of them were, I'd buy every Joy Electric record on the format as well. On the Solid State side of things, Extol's Burial, Embodyment's Embrace The Eternal, etc, etc.

I would like to see some Project 86 on vinyl, especially And The Rest Will Follow. I would absolutely love Secret & Whisper Great White Whale but doubt there would be enough interest.

I totally forgot about SAW. Both of their albums would be amazing on vinyl, but probably wouldn't be guaranteed money.

Mxpx - Slowly Going The Way Of The Buffalo would rule!

I realize I'm kind of bowing this thread up but Solid State/Tooth And Nail was my favorite label for a good 10+ years.

The records MxPx did on A&M Records have a nearly zero percent chance of being repressed. The process of acquiring the rights to those albums is far beyond what T&N is willing to do from what I understand, so if you can track down a copy for a decent price, get it.

Good Business Decision/why:

SF59 represses - Huge demand still for many oop items

Zao - Parade of Chaos - Small runs sell well

Blindside - ATCMM - we all know there is a huge demand for this

Project 86 - TH, and STBYBB - DBL was not T&N, unfortunately, but I think these two would sell fine

The Chariot - this would sell fine if they got off their ass and did it

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr repress

Unsure, but I would buy them in a second:

Stavesacre - Maybe a boxset?

Training for Utopia - Throwing a Wrench/Plastic Soul - If marketed right this Throwing a Wrench would be a big seller, play up the Demon Hunter connection, a Plastic soul repress is less viable I think

Zao / Training for Utopia Split - again, play up Demon Hunter, Zao sells small runs, make this super limited/collectable and you'll turn a profit

Zao - Splinter Shards repress - might be hard to market

Blindside - ST - sell ATCMM first

Norma Jean - The other two boxset albums after you sell BTM

Neon Horse - could work depending on how you market it

Trenches - no idea of viability but I like this album

Terrible Business Decisions, but I would buy them in a second:

Chatterbox - Despite

Klank - Still Suffering

Klank - Downside EP

AP2 - Suspension of Disbelief

Luti-Kriss - yeah, no one will buy this, except me

Brave Saint Saturn - ditto

Showbread - Anorexia Nervosa - It would make no fucking sense to put in on vinyl, but I'd still buy it

Definitely Project 86, any of them, but start with Drawing Black Lines.

I'd like to see the Almost - Monster, Monster though I know that's a newer album.

FSF - Moon is Down

MxPx - Ten Years and Running or Teenage Politics

Blindside - any

Brave Saint Saturn - I mean didn't Five Iron's kick starter convince you of that?

Would buy all these, but I'd buy Rain's 'A Coming before S/T (C18:3), but I see why the debut should get pressed first.

Apart from that, I'd buy any T&N-vinyl from Number One Gun, Brave Saint Saturn, Slick Shoes, Dogwood, Side Walk Slam, (any skatepunk, really) Search The City, Surrogate (especially the debut), The Classic Crime, The Fold, Run Kid Run, Watashi Wa, and these albums: Jonezetta - Cruel To Be Young, Emery - The Question, Joel Bruyere - the Drawing Room, and the Denison Witmer album he put out on T&N (under the name The River Bends), and maybe The OC Supertones - Hi Fi Revival, Sullivan - Close Your Eyes, but I'm guessing only maybe BS2 would sell at all. and maybe the Question. Hopefully we'll see them :) I'd also buy V/A - I'm Your Biggest Fan Volume 2.

I'm glad to have (or soon have) Pokinatcha and SILYAYD and the licensed Craig's Brother and Strongarm albums, and also looking forward to what ever they have in store for ACB.

Whatever happened to Blindside - ATCMM? weren't there supposed to be some kind of co-op for this?

Instead of rehasing all of the regular ones. Here is my wishful thinking...

I'd love to see Dead Poetic - Four Wall Blackmail and New Medicines. I don't think the fanbase or demand justifies a large pressing but it could do alright.

I think a Project 86 Boxset would be really cool.

All 3 of the Spoken albums are absolutely fantastic to me. One band I've loved everything they've done w/ t&n.

Terminal - how the lonely keep is in the same league as dead poetic. wont sell a ton but the people who want it will love a pressing of this.

the Classic Crime - Albatross and the Silver Cord. Not really into the dudes personally but i love the music. Thought it was some of the better poppy stuff t&n has been putting out.

Dogwood, Bon Voyage, Far Less, Fair, as well as so many others.

Solid state wise.

A Demon Hunter Boxset would be killer. and would probably sell good.

Soul Embraced, He Is Legend, Haste the Day, Once Nothing, Advent, Wolves At the Gate.

and all the usuals.

The Craig's Brother vinyl was pressed in runs of 300 for each album, they're currently $9.99 in the T&N store with a 20% off code, and they still haven't sold out. To say the least, the Craig's Brother records have been a disappointment for T&N, especially with such a small (and likely costly) run. I would say the same thing would happen with a Blenderhead release.

Their active status is definitely a positive. I do wonder how many people who listen to music on vinyl listen still listen to the Danielson Famile (or have even heard of the Danielson Famile). And like you said, it depends on who owns the rights to those songs. It would also depend on if the group was in support of the vinyl release and helped market it/support it.

Good argument. However, I do believe it is difficult to gauge just how much demand there is for their albums. For the sake of argument, we could be talking about ~50 people who are BIG SF59 fans, constantly on the lookout for their back catalog of vinyl and the inflated prices we're seeing for those albums is simply due to competition between those people. Also, T&N is going to be looking at the ___ number of unsold copies of "Changing of the Guard" that have been sitting in their webstore for the past two years. That being said, SF59 is still active (to the best of my knowledge) so that's a GOOD thing for the possibility of pressings.

Great band/great releases, inactive for the past 10 years. Going to be a difficult sell all-around.

I completely agree that a pressing of Let It Happen makes sense. But the unfortunate problem that's being run into is that T&N decided to test the MxPx-vinyl waters by pressing Pokinatcha in a really small run (500) and those have not sold the way they were hoping they would--the way that would prompt them to want to press Let It Happen. Part of that problem is that MxPx has not done anything to support the vinyl release of Pokinatcha--check their website/fanclub boards--nothing. The other part of the problem remains the contentious nature of Let It Happen itself related to the band/label relationship. Yes, the re-release of Let It Happen happened with the band's support but it was more of an agreement related to the label's support of "Secret Weapon." So the label and the band still see Let It Happen as a touchy subject, and consequently, it's actually low on T&N's list of albums to repress. I think it would sell great and I completely agree that it's the album everyone loves.

I'm not sure what the story is behind this album. If it's true that 5000+ copies were released, then the label may not be terribly keen on repressing it, despite it being a sought after album. On the other hand, FSF is active again and that's a good thing.

To me, Joy Electric is one of those bands where vinyl pressings could go either way- they could sell well or they could flop. It certainly helps that Ronnie is still active with Joy Electric and he continues to have a pretty steady, loyal following. The question is whether or not that would translate into vinyl sales for his back catalog.

Great argument! I agree that it deserves to be presented properly. Here is something to consider though- the box set took a long time to sell. And while people here in this community may have known about the problems with the pressing, I don't think it was an issue many knew about--translation: relatively no one knew about the pressing problems and it still didn't sell that well/fast. I'm not going to paint T&N as a callous company who doesn't care about the quality of vinyl pressings but I believe they're primary concern right now is the bottom line when picking what to press. If you ask me, the existence of a Norma Jean box set, regardless of quality, makes future pressings less likely--although not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

He's going to have a fairly niche group of interested fans, especially vinyl-buying fans. Could happen but would a minimum pressing of 500 of this sell?

Durrrrrrrrrr.

Haha, I think T&N was pleasantly surprised by how well As Cities Burn sold and The Chariot may be one of those bands who would sell well, also.

I could see this selling.

I love Bleach and would love to see those pressed. But like you said.... :)

Great post, Alex. Thank you for your thoughts!

Good Business Decision/why:

SF59 represses - Huge demand still for many oop items

Zao - Parade of Chaos - Small runs sell well

Blindside - ATCMM - we all know there is a huge demand for this

Project 86 - TH, and STBYBB - DBL was not T&N, unfortunately, but I think these two would sell fine

The Chariot - this would sell fine if they got off their ass and did it

Norma Jean - Bless the Martyr repress

Unsure, but I would buy them in a second:

Stavesacre - Maybe a boxset?

Training for Utopia - Throwing a Wrench/Plastic Soul - If marketed right this Throwing a Wrench would be a big seller, play up the Demon Hunter connection, a Plastic soul repress is less viable I think

Zao / Training for Utopia Split - again, play up Demon Hunter, Zao sells small runs, make this super limited/collectable and you'll turn a profit

Zao - Splinter Shards repress - might be hard to market

Blindside - ST - sell ATCMM first

Norma Jean - The other two boxset albums after you sell BTM

Neon Horse - could work depending on how you market it

Trenches - no idea of viability but I like this album

Terrible Business Decisions, but I would buy them in a second:

Chatterbox - Despite

Klank - Still Suffering

Klank - Downside EP

AP2 - Suspension of Disbelief

Luti-Kriss - yeah, no one will buy this, except me

Brave Saint Saturn - ditto

Showbread - Anorexia Nervosa - It would make no fucking sense to put in on vinyl, but I'd still buy it

Copies of Zao's older albums have been sitting comfortably in T&N's store for the past few years. Not high on the list, if you ask me. Not sure about a Stavesacre box set...I could see their most popular album maybe making the cut for a vinyl club release but I couldn't really say. Training for Utopia, Trenches and Neon Horse would be very difficult to sell, in my opinion. Sure, you and a few others would buy them but who else? :)