Sortof Official Tooth and Nail Vinyl Discography

kriss

Definitely Project 86, any of them, but start with Drawing Black Lines.I'd like to see the Almost - Monster, Monster though I know that's a newer album.FSF - Moon is DownMxPx - Ten Years and Running or Teenage PoliticsBlindside - anyBrave Saint Saturn - I mean didn't Five Iron's kick starter convince you of that?

The Almost "Southern Weather" hasn't sold as well as it could, I believe. Monster, Monster may be a tough sell for convincing T&N.

Brave Saint Saturn- would LOVE to see their stuff get pressed and I agree with the argument regarding their Kickstarter. However from what I understand, their only album on T&N, "The Light of Things Hoped For" sold extremely poorly. It's not likely to happen, I'm pretty sure.

One thing to note, most of what's unsold in the T&N store is from bands who are no longer active/no longer on T&N.

In Zao's case they HEAVILY repped Broken Circles, and they sold out relatively quickly. Most fans were oblivious to T&N having stock and turned to eBay after BC sold out.

T&N doesn't do a good job of getting themselves out there, I know this has a lot to do with the fact that they burned a lot of bridges in the late 90's/early 2000's, but still.

I do know that if T&N did any sort of vinyl club (as long as it included Solid State releases) I would subscribe regardless of what might/might not get pressed. T&N has always (until very recently) released pretty great stuff and I would love to own anything from their catalog on vinyl. Some of their more recent stuff however (Family Force 5, Rocky Loves Emily, Blessed By A Broken Heart) I could do without.

did 5k copies of the moon is down actually get pressed though? you'd think they'd pop up more often for sale if that was the case.

There's just no way there's 5000 copies, otherwise I have a feeling copies would be going for less than fifty bucks.

Also a note for combatchuck: just because copies are still available in the Tooth & Nail store shouldn't mean the release isn't selling well. Zao's Self Titled is available from Solid State, but it's sold out through Broken Circles, because Brent promoted the release and got the band to spread the word to their fans. People might not know Tooth & Nail even has a webstore. I remember when mewithoutYou records were going for big bucks on eBay while the same pressings were sitting in the Gilead and Burnt Toast webstore, it's just a matter of marketing and working with the bands. And besides, there's nothing wrong with a release staying in print for a while, there shouldn't be a "press 500, sell out in a week, move on to the next release" mentality. They might even have to actually - gasp - send copies to stores through their regular distribution channels, not everyone follows old bands they like via social media.

There's just no way there's 5000 copies, otherwise I have a feeling copies would be going for less than fifty bucks.Also a note for combatchuck: just because copies are still available in the Tooth & Nail store shouldn't mean the release isn't selling well. Zao's Self Titled is available from Solid State, but it's sold out through Broken Circles, because Brent promoted the release and got the band to spread the word to their fans. People might not know Tooth & Nail even has a webstore. I remember when mewithoutYou records were going for big bucks on eBay while the same pressings were sitting in the Gilead and Burnt Toast webstore, it's just a matter of marketing and working with the bands. And besides, there's nothing wrong with a release staying in print for a while, there shouldn't be a "press 500, sell out in a week, move on to the next release" mentality. They might even have to actually - gasp - send copies to stores through their regular distribution channels, not everyone follows old bands they like via social media.

Excellent point, Alex. The overall lack of marketing for T&N's webstore should be taken into account. At the same time, I don't want to assume Zao fans looking for vinyl aren't..intelligent, if I may say that. A simple search in Google for "Zao vinyl" turns up links to T&N's store. If they're looking for it, they'll find it.

I don't speak for T&N but as far as the sell out in a week mentality, I don't think that's what they're going for - but of course, that's a good thing to hope for. I do, however, know they're wanting to make as financially-sound an investment as possible in the releases they choose to put out (so far, Craig's Brother and MxPx haven't been doing very well) and that is why the issue of sales is an important factor. It's not the only factor, but it's a important one.

Ok I've been reading this since it popped back up on the board. Even though I grew up on T&N/Solid State there is very few from a business stand point that make sense to press to vinyl, but this sounds fun to at least list, so here is my 2 cents:

The Chariot- all S/S albums, they just need to finally do this. 500 would be gone like ACB's first

Dogwood- any early stuff! More nostalgia for myself. Not sure would sell.

Stretch Armstong- READ ABOVE

Ace Troubleshooter- READ ABOVE

Project 86- Honestly "Drawing Black Lines" would sell 500, maybe not in hours, but is worth a press.

Blindside- I thought we as VC were trying to press early stuff? My $100-200 for this is waiting!

He Is Legend- I am Hollywood (this album art was made for a cool vinyl release)

Basically T&N ignores all request. So I say we just send Brent of Broken Circle Records 500 emails of a release request and he'll make it happen. He seems to release everything I would release if I were releasing vinyl!

Ok I've been reading this since it popped back up on the board. Even though I grew up on T&N/Solid State there is very few from a business stand point that make sense to press to vinyl, but this sounds fun to at least list, so here is my 2 cents:

The Chariot- all S/S albums, they just need to finally do this. 500 would be gone like ACB's first

Dogwood- any early stuff! More nostalgia for myself. Not sure would sell.

Stretch Armstong- READ ABOVE

Ace Troubleshooter- READ ABOVE

Project 86- Honestly "Drawing Black Lines" would sell 500, maybe not in hours, but is worth a press.

Blindside- I thought we as VC were trying to press early stuff? My $100-200 for this is waiting!

He Is Legend- I am Hollywood (this album art was made for a cool vinyl release)

Basically T&N ignores all request. So I say we just send Brent of Broken Circle Records 500 emails of a release request and he'll make it happen. He seems to release everything I would release if I were releasing vinyl!

Dogwood is one of those bands that maybe 200 people would buy for nostalgia and that's it, unfortunately. You're not the only one who wants to see Dogwood vinyl, though! Ace Troubleshooter, no longer active...I remember back when John Warne left Ace for Relient K and the other three band members took to the AT boards to complain about him abandoning them or something...that was strange/funny.

Keep the thoughts & suggestions coming, everyone. People with influence are listening/reading.

Instead of rehasing all of the regular ones. Here is my wishful thinking...

I'd love to see Dead Poetic - Four Wall Blackmail and New Medicines. I don't think the fanbase or demand justifies a large pressing but it could do alright.

I think a Project 86 Boxset would be really cool.

Terminal - how the lonely keep is in the same league as dead poetic. wont sell a ton but the people who want it will love a pressing of this.

Haste the Day

I agree with these, as well as:

The Wedding - The Sound, The Steel EP

This EP is perfect to me, but it may be before they were on Tooth And Nail

and any Oh, Sleeper

I love Bleach and would love to see those pressed. But like you said.... :)

Great post, Alex. Thank you for your thoughts!

You're kinda young, combatchuckaa, right? I don't mean this in a derogatory way, especially because you're always a nice person on the boards. I just think your age relates to some of the conclusions you've drawn.

Roadside Monument might have been inactive 10+ years but I guarantee if they repressed their albums or pressed Beside This Brief Hexagonal that they would sell very well. As Alex pointed out, lots of people love that band, not just the Christians. They were ahead of their time. Jonathan Ford is a talent who still makes great music with Unwed Sailor and has a following. I think you're underestimating the potential of a new pressing.

The Craig's Brother records actually did pretty okay considering they're a band that had no following compared to Roadside. Also, T&N didn't get those pressed, they licensed them to Veritas Vinyl.

Starflyer are an amazing band that has a great following. If you saw the Kickstarter Jason Martin did for the upcoming album (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starflyer59/help-starflyer-59-produce-their-first-independent), it would prove the following the band still has. The band is inactive now, though, because Jason runs his father (who's passed away) trucking company. And 95% of all their vinyl releases are OOP and garner big bucks on eBay. Trust me, there's a demand.

Just some thoughts from someone who thinks he knows a lot :)

You're kinda young, combatchuckaa, right? I don't mean this in a derogatory way, especially because you're always a nice person on the boards. I just think your age relates to some of the conclusions you've drawn.

Roadside Monument might have been inactive 10+ years but I guarantee if they repressed their albums or pressed Beside This Brief Hexagonal that they would sell very well. As Alex pointed out, lots of people love that band, not just the Christians. They were ahead of their time. Jonathan Ford is a talent who still makes great music with Unwed Sailor and has a following. I think you're underestimating the potential of a new pressing.

The Craig's Brother records actually did pretty okay considering they're a band that had no following compared to Roadside. Also, T&N didn't get those pressed, they licensed them to Veritas Vinyl.

Starflyer are an amazing band that has a great following. If you saw the Kickstarter Jason Martin did for the upcoming album (http://www.kickstart...rst-independent), it would prove the following the band still has. The band is inactive now, though, because Jason runs his father (who's passed away) trucking company. And 95% of all their vinyl releases are OOP and garner big bucks on eBay. Trust me, there's a demand.

Just some thoughts from someone who thinks he knows a lot :)

This is exactly why I'm soliciting opinions from people like you, people who have a different perspective that someone like me may not see. So I don't take your comment as derogatory at all and I appreciate it. I wish I could say whether or not the people who have to sway to press Roadside Monument vinyl agree with you but I can say your thoughts will be taken into consideration. I do believe when it comes to pressing some of T&N's earliest bands on vinyl, the question rightly must be asked, "Are there fans of ____ band who are still interested in them 10-15 years later AND willing to buy their album on vinyl?" The answer to that question is less a function of my age and more a simple function of time and economics. The optimist in me wants to agree with you...but it's a question mark that neither you nor I can confidently answer, I believe...

...and that's why I, and others, are advocating for a vinyl club-type approach which might allow certain albums that might have a tougher time as a standalone release to see the light of day through a club of some type. I'm not saying Roadside is one of those bands/albums but plain and simple: there are bands/albums that T&N will not put out as standalone vinyl releases due to concerns mentioned above, and other factors. And yes, that rules out releases from several bands that I would LOVE to see on vinyl, which sucks.

Also, I respect your opinion that you don't believe Craig's Brother hasn't done that bad but to those closest to those releases, the sentiment is different. Don't kill the messenger :)