Hot Sauce

kriss

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I grew bell peppers pretty easily in the harsh Vegas heat so I would imagine you'd have no problem growing some in the Chicago area. You should try to grow strawberries as well they're pretty easy to grow and take up very little space.

I once planted an artichoke plant and thought that it wasn't going to produce fruit. I trimmed it up over the winter and in the spring I was blown away when I was getting softball sized artichokes! Unrelated, but I just thought I'd share.

Were the bell peppers red or green? I rarely ever use green because I'm not a fan of the more bitter flavor profile they hold but I'd love to grow red peppers because I enjoy their versatility in dishes but hate the price fluctuation they always go through (one week 60 cents a pound, the next week 2 dollars a pound, etc).

Strawberries and artichokes sound great as well. With strawberries I'd plant just to see what fruit results (at the beginning of last summer, they were going for so cheap that I was buying boxes of them for 3 bucks a pop) but with artichokes, I'd plant just to get around the costs of what they go for both peeled and unpeeled. I love roasted artichokes and garlic smeared on bread.

They were green peppers but I'd imagine red ones would be about the same to care for. It was great having an artichoke plant! It was constantly providing fruit the entire season! The only downside is that they are a rather large size plant and need a lot of space. Peppers would be a great balcony plant though!

How much space did you end up needing for them? The balcony behind our apartment is communal with the other folks in our building (only six other apartments) and no one ever seems to use it except for an occasional summer get together. I'm sure we have a good nine to eleven feet of space that we could use so as long as it's reasonable, the space wouldn't be too much of an issue.

How much space did you end up needing for them? The balcony behind our apartment is communal with the other folks in our building (only six other apartments) and no one ever seems to use it except for an occasional summer get together. I'm sure we have a good nine to eleven feet of space that we could use so as long as it's reasonable, the space wouldn't be too much of an issue.

You should be fine with that space. They can get ridiculously large but they can stay a manageable size if you don't let them get out of control. I'd say about two to three square feet should be fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Recently tried Jimmy T’s Scorched Earth Sauce. I don't recommend it. I just didn't care for the flavor.

I bought a bottle of that Trader Joe's Habanero sauce that started the initial conversation between Kriss and I. I highly recommend it. Great flavor. It's a habanero sauce so obviously it's got a kick for those that don't like things too hot.

My new favorite is Blair's Ultra Death Sauce. I've heard of the Blair's line for a long, long time but it took me a while to get around to trying it as I could never find it in stores near me. My buddy happened to have a bottle and I got to try it for the first time around a month ago. Recently bought my own bottle. Definitely the go to sauce. It's very, very hot so be warned in case you try it. It's definitely recommended to dilute the sauce but it's good on its own. What I really like about this sauce is that it's hot as hell but also has amazing flavor. Many of the super hot sauces (that I've tried) lack great flavor.

[image]

This stuff is delicious but I can never find it! So good on eggs.

I've heard good things about this. I really want to try it but the only time I've seen it was in a gift pack. Will probably just order one online. I've been looking to find my go to sweet sauce.

I picked up a bottle of Blair's Pure Death the other day. I love it. Will probably be an everyday hot sauce for me. It will pair well with anything. It's got some heat but it's not too hot. I've been consuming way too much of the Ultra Death sauce lately and I know that's not good for me.

I bought a bottle of that Trader Joe's Habanero sauce that started the initial conversation between Kriss and I. I highly recommend it. Great flavor. It's a habanero sauce so obviously it's got a kick for those that don't like things too hot.

Dude, a few weeks ago, we had cuban black beans and rice for dinner and I put too much of this stuff on. I ended up having to go back and mix it with the leftovers I was going to use for the next day for lunch to tone down the heat. Stuff doesn't play! hahah