Records So Cheap It's Like You Stole Them

kriss

I used to find old Drive Thru bands' self-released stuff on CD for a quarter and flip 'em on eBay for $60-80. Did the same thing with Goldfinger's Richter, too. Now that nobody buys CDs, it's a waste of time to even browse.

Did manage to buy a copy of Alice In Chains' "Angry Chair" single for $8 and sell it for $60 not four hours later.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure if this counts but I ordered Weezer's Green album on vinyl from Hastings and they sent me a sealed Blue album instead. I called and told them what happened, they let me keep the sealed Blue copy and said they would send me the Green one. They sent me another sealed Blue, so I called again and got a refund/kept the second Blue one. And I'll probably sell/trade them because I don't really want them.

We got:

Incubus Crow for $5.00 from a kid on craigslist (had Thrice AITA but sold it earlier in the day)

As Tall As Lions S/T Pink signed at their show for $15 I think

DCFC Transatlantisim import was I think $20 shipped from Germany maybe 2 yrs ago

Earthmover themes from everyday life 2x10" $10 shipped discogs

Ryan Adams Rock and Roll red face cover $8.00

Ryan Adams now that your gone clear 7" wife got at a show years ago

I like this thread a lot.

Converge | Petitioning The Empty Sky: Black, $10, R5 Punk Rock Flea Market, Summer '08

Bane | It All Comes Down To This: Black, $20, Long In The Tooth, Fall '10?

The Smiths | Shoplifters Of The World Unite: FREE, Black, found it in a container of random stuff that belonged to Geoff Rickley in the basement of my New Brunswick, NJ apartment, Spring '06

Screeching Weasel | Boogadaboogadaboogada: Black, $12, Lookout pressing, sealed, Sound Exchange, Fall '08

The Vandals | Hitler Bad, Vandals Good: $8, sealed, Sound Exchange, Summer '11

Good thread. I have gotten all of these in the last couple of years after they were out of print.

Cursive-Storms of Early Summer(White Vinyl) $12 GEMM

Cursive-Disruption 1st Press(Yellow Cover) $23 Discogs

Jimmy Eat World- Futures 2xLP- $17 -Reckless

Pedro the Lion-It Hard to Find a Friend (White Vinyl) $10 Ebay

Pedro the Lion- Achilles Heel $9 Reckless

Pedro the Lion- Winners Never Quit $5 Reckless

The National- High Violet 2xLP- (Purple Vinyl) $12 Reckless

Lullaby for the Working Class - Blanket Warm $5 Reckless

Lullaby for the Working Class - In Honor of My Stumbling $5 Reckless

Lullaby for the Working Class - Song $5 Reckless

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood And the Machine $10 Amazon

Five Iron Frenzy- Minature Golf Courses of America 7" $5

I'm adding that Five Iron 7" to my list along with the Brad Is Dead 7" (which isn't as big a steal as it could have been since it comes in the generic sleeve the band sold them off in at their shows as opposed to the picture sleeve you could have gotten if you had mail ordered it).

Also:

The Knife: Silent Shout (bought at retail price of 16 when it first came out, goes for nearly 100 now)

Gorillaz: Demon Days (same as above cost and value wise)

Gorillaz: Laika Vs. Spacemonkeys (found this in a Virgin Records in NYC for 5 bucks - now it goes for nearly 200).

Rival Schools "United By Fate" LP $5

I want that. Such an amazing album.

Some of my other great finds:

311 - Self Titled - $6

Dance Hall Crashers - Lockjaw on red vinyl - $4

Superdrag - Senorita 7" - $5

AFI - Sing the Sorrow 2x LP on red vinyl - $18

Zebrahead - Yellow 7" - $5

Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Let's Face It on red vinyl - $10

David Bowie - The Man Who Sold the World - $10

Cake - Never There / I Will Survive 7" - $5

and my favorite:

Foo Fighters - Self titled on Roswell Records - $10 on eBay years ago.

The one advantage of being old is that I bought a hell of a lot of things when they came out, thus only paying whatever it cost new. That or I got them free.

Some examples:

Offspring - I'll Be Waiting 7" (their first 7") was free as the band sent me it as a promo to review in my then-fanzine.

Jabreaker - Unfun (blue LP on Shredder) - free (shredder used to send me everything as promos)

ATDI - Relationship of Command - $8 new

Jawbreaker - Busy 7" (red vinyl/numbered) - $4

Minor Threat - Out of Step $5 (which was "overpriced" at the store cuz the cover said not to pay more than $3.50)

and tons more.

I picked up Thrice - Vheissu in a record store I tend not to bother with for 11.99. They rarely if ever get more recent stuff in so I guess they didn't know what to do with it. It was a little scuffed but I sold it for a pretty decent markup.

I too check out Craigslist all the time for potential scores. The best I had was trekking out to the middle of nowhere to go through half-a-dozen boxes of old rock records. While there was a lot of stuff you find everywhere else, they were all a dollar. The biggest score was Rolling Stones - Their Majesties Satanic Request first pressing with the hologram cover. I've seen it go for 40$ quite a few times.

By far the best score I've ever gotten was Opeth's "Ghost Reveries" sealed for $14. I think I actually gasped when I saw it.

Other scores:

Ghosts and Vodka - "Momento Mori" - $3

Clouds - "We Are Above You" - $4

Keelhaul - "Keelhaul's Triumphant Return to Obscurity" - $4

Daughters - "Hell Songs" - $7

Digital Underground - "Humpty Dance" 12" - $1

The Oliver Twist Band - "New Tricks and Traps" - $1

Rapider Than Horsepower/The Mae Shi - "Do Not Ignore the Potential" - $2

ugh... so today i was chatting about records with the dude that cuts my hair cause he is a huge collector (plus has been in some notable hardcore bands) and he mentioned in passing that back in 1999 he found a copy of Chung King Can Suck It for $20 up in NYC.

not a bad find seeing those sell for $3K+