The Beach Boys - The SMiLE Sessions

Having spent my formative years in southern California during the late 80's and early 90's, when Beach Boys songs soundtracked commercials for Southwest Airlines, were blasted from every damn ice cream parlor on the coast, and generally served as a backdrop to a caricature of my home state, I can understand what somethingvinyl means about them being under-appreciated.

Having discovered the internet, however, I realize their genius is well-documented and is/has been appreciated by a multitude. I'm just glad I could somewhat forget my juvenile associations and discover the "real" Beach Boys.

As for SMiLE, I love the songs, the vinyl sound quality is amazing, and the packaging is very nice. No disappointment here.

Pet Sounds > Sgt. Peppers

Now and forever. Even Paul McC said it.

If McCartney said that, than Wilson would argue otherwise. He said Strawberry Fields Forever (originally intended for their next album, which was Sgt. Pepper) was better because that's what help induce his mental breakdown. He talks about how realized they created "the sound" and he couldn't top them. From Wiki:

"Brian Wilson of The Beach Boys said that "Strawberry Fields Forever" was partially responsible for the shelving of his group's legendary unfinished album, Smile. Wilson first heard the song on his car radio whilst driving, and was so affected that he had to stop and listen to it all the way through. He then remarked to his passenger that The Beatles had already reached the sound the Beach Boys had wanted to achieve."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawberry_Fields_Forever

somethingvinyl, I'm not arguing with you. I just want to point out how funny it is that Brian Wilson was constantly pulling over whenever some song came on the radio.

He supposedly did that with "Be My Baby" and another Beatles song as well.

Dude you are 35. You never pulled over or sat in your driveway because you just got home and a song you loved came on? I used to do this all the time

somethingvinyl, I'm not arguing with you. I just want to point out how funny it is that Brian Wilson was constantly pulling over whenever some song came on the radio.

He supposedly did that with "Be My Baby" and another Beatles song as well.

Dude you are 35. You never pulled over or sat in your driveway because you just got home and a song you loved came on? I used to do this all the time

Haha, I totally have done that. I'm just commenting on the quote I always hear about Brian (not just this thread/board). It goes something like "Brian was so blown away the first time he heard (insert song here) that he had to pull his car over to the side of the road."

The song in said quote has just changed over the years. That's all I was saying.

To be boring and not induce any drama...is this the first time this has been pressed to vinyl? My dad is into classic stuff, but he stopped buying around '90 or so. This would be a great gift, but if this was released on vinyl anytime before '90, he would already have it. I know this was the discarded project, but I didn't know if it got released in some form anyway. Thanks for the info!

This is the first time this has been released in "complete form" EVER. Unless you count 2004, when Brian Wilson re-recorded everything and released "Brian Wilson Presents: Smile." Various songs from the Beach Boys' Smile sessions ended up on subsequent albums, box sets, and a few bootlegs. But this is the first time they've collected all the master tapes and released the whole thing the way it was originally intended.

This is the first time this has been released in "complete form" EVER. Unless you count 2004, when Brian Wilson re-recorded everything and released "Brian Wilson Presents: Smile." Various songs from the Beach Boys' Smile sessions ended up on subsequent albums, box sets, and a few bootlegs. But this is the first time they've collected all the master tapes and released the whole thing the way it was originally intended.

Just what I needed to know, thanks! One gift idea down!

From the stuff you said about your dad when I bought some of his stuff you were selling, I think this will be great for him.

Also, I know there are boots out there, but how was this guy selling this in 2004? His story in the description doesn't seem to jive with history.

http://www.popsike.com/Brian-Wilson-Beach-Boys-Smile-Vinyl-Album/2599280566.html

From the stuff you said about your dad when I bought some of his stuff you were selling, I think this will be great for him.

Also, I know there are boots out there, but how was this guy selling this in 2004? His story in the description doesn't seem to jive with history.

http://www.popsike.com/Brian-Wilson-Beach-Boys-Smile-Vinyl-Album/2599280566.html

Bootleg. This album has been bootlegged a million times

Bootleg. This album has been bootlegged a million times

Indeed it has, I have some tapes that I've had since the early 80's, but the quality was pretty poor, more recently (90's-00's) I've picked up several LP's and CD sets........

[image]

[image]

This is a really good cd set, includes 110 page book listing all the sessions/artworks etc etc etc..

[image]

And this is just a 3 cd set of the Good Vibrations sessions (in excess of 2 hrs in total!!!)

[image]

Sorry, usual rubbish photos

I would have loved to have that...but now we get the best quality of it.

The shop I work at didn't get their copies in, but we got a reissue of Surf's Up. I think I'm going to love the "finished" SMiLE. Because the tracks that were on Surf's Up that were meant for SMiLE sound really great. Sounds so fantastic. I will probably like this better than Wilson's SMiLE.