Five Iron Frenzy fans UNITE!

I absolutely love the shit storm this is causing over at Punknews. Good for FIF and their fans. The band worked their ass off for over a decade. I always thought of FIF as a band that just happened to have some songs that talked about religion, along with a whole bunch of other personal or political issues...and some straight up goofy songs on par with the Aquabats. They were a fun band to see live that also made enjoyable records. It's good to see they're back in action.

You were known for addressing some pretty edgy topics for a "Christian" band. Should we expect to see the same in the new album?

RR: Heck yes! In droves. We don’t have a label! It’s on like Donkey Kong.

You heard the man! It's on. Like Donkey Kong.

[image]

He kinda looks like Reese.

$158,801.

holy. balls.

EDIT: they made $50,000 alone from the $200 tickets to the exclusive show. as much as i like these guys, it's reeeeeeally getting to be a ca$h grab at this point. that is, on top of the $100 wedgies and $1,500 "sit in the studio" awards.

as if the $30 CDs were gouging enough

As annoying as this apparent cash grab seems, FIF were a band who spoke to a lot of teenagers (including me during the late 90's). I really thought "Blue Comb '78" was about a comb until I had a friend who had divorced parents explain the song to me. Really illuminated the song for me and a lot of the other songs made sense after that. I really appreciate these guys so that's why it's a bit disappointing for these prices to be so high.

^ pretty much the same reason why the prices bum me out.

Thing is, this goes in direct opposition of the things they stood against in terms of the music industry and in particular the Christian one. My beliefs on God aren't what they were when I used to listen to them heavily, so I can't really get behind all of the youth group droves who are defending their gouging. Thing is, they're raising this money behind a platform of them doing things independently by themselves, but I can't think of any other bands that came back after a near decade absence and had 150k at their disposal. I get that they're trying to fill in the the time for the money they'll lose by taking off of their IRL jobs, but they're a medium sized band who certainly have a sizable enough guarantee and each of their shows will be sold out anyway, so that's revenue that doesn't even get counted in at this moment that they'll be reaping on top of what KS gives them. I've struggled with my thoughts on this since the KS went up and at this point I've really lost a lot of respect for the group - not because I believe they SHOULDN'T make a living off of their music (certainly, any band in the position to do so should), but because again - this is a contradiction to a lot of the ideals they were known to espouse in their day. People change and I get that, but be a bit more honest about it.

Yeah, i kind of agree, Kriss. My excitement for this reunion kind of overtook my thought process when i put in $50 for the LP. i mean, if i missed out, i'd be torn up, for sure, but, you shouldn't have to pay that much for a single LP that may not even end up existing. i know the whole thing is set up to generate income for the writing/recording process, but, as you've used the word quite a bit, i think it is gouging. It breaks my heart, as you said, because it seemingly goes against what they stood for.

Then again, it must be nice for them, since i know they weren't exactly rolling in ca$h when they were active.

I say good for them. I loved them back in Jr. high. I went to all their shows, and had a blast. I met them and hung out with them several times, and they were some of the nicest group of people ever. They were great to their fans and I'm sure they still will be. Most of their fans are older now and have families and jobs and money. I can understand why so many of their fans want to give back. I know the band didn't make much of a living back then. It's rough splitting up a band's wages eight ways. i'm sure there are a lot of people looking at this kickstarter as a good way to support them and more of a "donation" or "fund raiser" than a purchase of a record or photo.

I don't really care for their music at all anymore, but I think it's great they're getting all this support, and I'm sure the money will be used wisely. I can assure you it's not going to line their wallets.

I thought this article was pretty telling on why the Kickstarter prices are so high. It seems that when they were on Five Minute Walk or Sarabellum, they made a $1.13 for every CD sold. Not exactly a lot of money to split between 8 people. I just think that they don't want to do this if they can't support their families which I can respect.

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/culture/music/features/27455-qaa-with-five-iron-frenzy

Oh yeah Dreamover it would be awesome if you had any interest in pressing Five Iron Frenzy's back catalog on vinyl. Although judging by the article above it sounds their old label were a terrible bunch of people. So I'm sure Five Iron Frenzy wouldn't go for it even if Five Minute Walk was ok it. It sucks because Upbeats and Beatdowns and Our Newest Album Ever are some of my favorite albums of all time.

I'm curious as to what 5MW/Sarabellum did to them as they always spoke positively of the label(s) when they were an active band. I guess I can see the side of wanting to support their families through the process of doing it, it's just jarring to see such a high number without getting a bit skeptical.

I don't think that Frank or 5MW dicked them over, they're just looking at it realisticly. Touring's very different when you're single in your 20s vs. married w/ kids in your 30s. Heck, Culp may even be 40 by now.

Remember that pre-FIF, 5MW was mainly a rock label. After the first two FIF albums, they began shedding those bands and picking up a wider array of acts. For the last couple FIF albums, they were the only band on the label. When FIF died, 5MW died. They had to tour them like crazy to keep the label around.

I don't think that Frank or 5MW dicked them over, they're just looking at it realisticly. Touring's very different when you're single in your 20s vs. married w/ kids in your 30s. Heck, Culp may even be 40 by now.

Remember that pre-FIF, 5MW was mainly a rock label. After the first two FIF albums, they began shedding those bands and picking up a wider array of acts. For the last couple FIF albums, they were the only band on the label. When FIF died, 5MW died. They had to tour them like crazy to keep the label around.

I can see where you're coming from. I just looked over the label's complete discography and they really didn't put that much over the eight or so years they were in operation. At the time I was younger and listening to that stuff, it seemed like they were putting out more because the bands I was obsessing over all seemed to be coming from them.