VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

I wasn't gonna say anything but this. If you don't like the New Day you should probably check your pulse.

Not to mention the Sasha slander

just dont like em. i get it enterainment etc but eh. tag team wrestling doesnt exist in wwe. you can enjoy them. thats cool

Actually it does. Clearly you don't watch NXT. Not to mention WWE just signed a few tag teams from the indies recently. They just haven't debuted.

Tuned in just in time to see Enzo and Cass. That was great. We get the return of Cesaro, and AJ won the fatal four way to take on Reigns for the championship. Raw ended on a high note. I can't speak for the rest of it though. I saw that Apollo Crews debuted, and Corbin had his first match too. Vaudevillians to debut on Smackdown. Things are changing. Hopefully it works out.

No Joe, Balor Club or Bayley but I'm more than happy with Crews, Corbin, Enzo & Cass, Cesaro, (Maryse too) and the Vaudevillians on SmackDown. RAW felt like a breath of fresh air with all these new faces. Also, hearing a loud Women's Wrestling chant was surreal. One year ago they were chanting for the Bellas' and AJ Lee's boyfriends during their match.

And I can't believe AJ Styles is actually going to have a WWEWHC match four months after his debut. I was almost certain it was going to be either Owens or Cesaro. They sorta made up for that loss to Jericho at Mania with this one, gotta give them that.

WWE clearly understands developing talent, but this asset has been questioned a lot as of late. The Rock was unknown and the WWE molded him in-house and he turned into one of the top ten biggest draws of all time. Same with John Cena. But Vince can create characters too. Vince has taken hundreds of wrestlers from other companies who were good workers and created iconic characters with his vision: Hulk Hogan, Undertaker, Stone Cold, Mick Foley, Triple H, etc. 

I see all these talented, desirable people coming to NXT and the main roster, and I think that maybe he's lost the vision because most of these people have personas they created and branded elsewhere (Punk, Bryan, Samoa Joe, Nakamura, AJ, Styles, Bobby Roode, etc). Perhaps it's more that since WWE is the only major international promotion, everybody coming up has been only in the indies and they've had to have that career-defining persona to survive as a pro wrestler?

It is an interesting time. Cena is not done yet. And as much as I hate his character, it will be interesting to see what happens with him. These are kind of random thoughts strung together flimsily. 

Please, do explain what the atmosphere was like for the main event, from first hand.

I didn't cheer or boo for any part of the main event. I just wanted to listen. And no matter how hard Stephanie tried to get the crowd to boo (and her monologue was pretty damned impressive), it didn't matter: That crowd wanted to boo Roman Reigns. It's not even that they cheered HHH that loudly—his pop was fine, but nothing close to some of the others on the show. The crowd has been trained to boo Roman Reigns now, and that's what the majority of the 100,000 or so people there did. Everywhere I looked, it would be boos—older people, little kids, your average smarks, girls wearing Bella Twins shirts, you name it.

It speaks volumes to the power of organic suggestion. Enough smark-heavy cities booed Reigns in a row, so the average fan takes those cues and thinks, "Oh, we're supposed to boo this guy now." I'm sure a good chunk of people who boo Roman at any random Raw (Raw after Mania not withstanding) aren't booing because they hate him or because they think "the booking is bad" or because "he's being shoved down our throats" or whatever other reason smarks are using this week, it's simply because they think that's their role as a crowd now.

As the match dragged on and on and on (and it became clear what the end result was going to be, and that there was very minimal chance of another appearance from the Rock to help Roman out or something), the crowd just started leaving. And not just the neckbeards, either: Families. Fathers and their sons. Regular people who had sat in a stadium for seven hours who simply just weren't being entertained.

Taker/Shane should've gone on last. Had they run Roman/HHH right before the Rock segment, then the crowd would've stayed hyped and full the entire show. Oh well.

When I attended a houseshow last year, the mere mention of Reigns generated massive boos. Kids and adults, casuals and die-hards. He wasn't even at the show lol. I think it's mainly because they all hate the idea of a Cena 2.0.

Also, he's a natural heel. Just look at the guy and his mannerisms. I'm so glad he was an arrogant douchebag on RAW, I hope that doesn't change.

I didn't cheer or boo for any part of the main event. I just wanted to listen. And no matter how hard Stephanie tried to get the crowd to boo (and her monologue was pretty damned impressive), it didn't matter: That crowd wanted to boo Roman Reigns. It's not even that they cheered HHH that loudly—his pop was fine, but nothing close to some of the others on the show. The crowd has been trained to boo Roman Reigns now, and that's what the majority of the 100,000 or so people there did. Everywhere I looked, it would be boos—older people, little kids, your average smarks, girls wearing Bella Twins shirts, you name it.

Thanks for that, Scott. That's a pretty damn interesting take, that people think they're supposed to boo for him now. I hadn't really thought of it like that. As for the sounds and boos, I could kind of gather that from watching it from home, but I imagine it was even more astounding being there live to hear it. I didn't notice anyone leaving early. That, to me, is probably the most shocking part. 

Also, he's a natural heel. Just look at the guy and his mannerisms. I'm so glad he was an arrogant douchebag on RAW, I hope that doesn't change.

WWE has what could be the hottest heel in the business, but they insist on trying to book him face. Reigns is a born and bred heel. He's not like Punk or Austin who could play the anti-hero, not yet anyway. Reigns is a natural heel. I will say that it doesn't help that Reigns is still a bore on the mic, but that could just stem from him cutting face promos.

Also, as for Wrestlemania as a whole, it was a good event. Not the best, not the worst. The wrestling was fantastic for most of the matches. The only one that didn't live up to the hype in my opinion was Ambrose/Lesnar, which was a huge bummer to me since that was one of my most anticipated matches. The event suffered from the booking, but as for the actual wrestling, it did not disappoint.