VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

3 hours ago, scottheisel said:

Flip Gordon is also a Trump supporter, so that pretty much killed my interest in Flip Gordon.

While that's a shame, that doesn't change my opinion on him as a wrestler. 

Holy fucking shit at those WWE news though. Styles-Balor is a dream match and Kurt Angle returns to the ring? That's a lot to process. Not to mention that these are two big angles that should have gotten a lot of build-up but oh well. TLC just became must-see and I guess that's all that matters to them.

Edited by Breezus

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TheWindBlower said:

Pure insanity. I couldn't believe that this AM.

I was watching live up until the start of the US title match, I got too tired. Luckily no spoilers hit before I got to go back and finish up.

I got tickets to a Wrestling Revolver show in Dayton with the main event of Naito v Big Mike in February. I’m pretty hyped to see the (likely) NJPW Heavyweight Champion live.

20 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Chris Jericho is wrestling Kenny Omega in the Tokyo Dome. Maybe some of you WWE marks will finally tune in this January!

This is so surreal, especially with Jericho always saying he'd only ever wrestle for WWE. I love everything about this. I'm not even mad Omega-Ibushi won't happen just yet. On top of being a dream match, Omega-Jericho is gonna get a lot of attention and hopefully more long-term NJPW fans as well.

The WK 12 card is already pretty wild and it's still missing the rest of LIJ and CHAOS, as well as Juice, Elgin, ZSJ and Suzuki:

• Naito-Okada - IWGP HW
  • Omega-Jericho - US HW
  • Tanahashi-White - IC HW
  • Scurll-Ospreay-Hiromu-KUSHIDA - JR HW
  • Rhodes-Ibushi - ROH HW
  • Bucks-RPG 3K - JR TAG

World tag league is pretty stacked this year as well.  NJPW's firing on all cylinders.

Bracket A:
Juice Robinson/Sami Callihan
SANADA/EVIL
Yuji Nagata/ Manabu Nakanishi
Yujiro/Hangman Page
TenCozy
Bad Luck Fale/Chase Owens
Minoru Suzuki/Takashi Iizuka
Hirooki Goto/YOSHI-HASHI

Bracket B:
Killer Elite Squad
War Machine
Jeff Cobb/ Michael Elgin
Best Friends
Henare/ Togi Makabe
Toru Yano/Tomohiro Ishii
Guerrillas of Destiny
Katsuya Kitamura/David Finlay

Yeah, it's pretty wild to see Jeff Cobb, Chuckie T and Sami Callihan in NJPW. On top of that, they added Scurll, Rhodes and ZSJ to the roster and got Suzuki-gun, Hiromu, RPG 3K and Ibushi back this year, which made so many fantastic match-ups possible (that Ibushi-Tana match from Power Struggle for example, holy shit). I gotta say, since losing Nakamura, three of the most important Bullet Club members and the NOAH partnership last year, the product has actually gotten even better and the match quality has never been higher. 

• 2 weeks later...

NXT War Games was pretty fucking great. I lost interest in the actual War Games match. But women's fourway match for the women's title was great. And you have to watch that Aleister Black vs The Velveteen Dream match. Fucking great.

Edited by somethingvinyl

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

NXT War Games was pretty fucking great. I lost interest in the actual War Games match. But women's fourway match for the women's title was great. And you have to watch that Aleister Black vs The Velveteen Dream match. Fucking great.

Loved War Games, as well. I really enjoyed the main event. Agree that Black and Velveteen stole the show. I was really surprised by how great that match was and how excellent their chemistry was in the ring. Only match I didn't really enjoy was McIntyre vs. Almas, and I can't see Almas as an enjoyable champion.

4 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Loved War Games, as well. I really enjoyed the main event. Agree that Black and Velveteen stole the show. I was really surprised by how great that match was and how excellent their chemistry was in the ring. Only match I didn't really enjoy was McIntyre vs. Almas, and I can't see Almas as an enjoyable champion.

Sounds like you aren’t living the tranquilo lifestyle, my friend. Los Ingobernables 4L.

1 minute ago, dantheriver said:

Sounds like you aren’t living the tranquilo lifestyle, my friend. Los Ingobernables 4L.

I will be honest. I never saw Almas compete as La Sombra in NJPW. So, when he was signed, I tried to get into it, and he fell flat with me. The pairing with Zelina has DEFINITELY made him a little more interesting, and he can definitely go in the ring. We'll see how this title reign shapes up. You guys have any match recommendations from Almas' NJPW run?

War Games was fucking wild. Probably WWE's PPV of the year - I can't really think of anything else that was so consistent and refreshing. Everyone was elevated and hell, that fantastic match with Black turned Velveteen into a superstar overnight. As far as Survivor Series goes, Styles-Lesnar was definitely MOTN and one of the best WWE matches in 2017 so far. Lesnar can be so good when he gives a shit and you can see that in his matches against Joe and Styles.

22 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

I will be honest. I never saw Almas compete as La Sombra in NJPW. So, when he was signed, I tried to get into it, and he fell flat with me. The pairing with Zelina has DEFINITELY made him a little more interesting, and he can definitely go in the ring. We'll see how this title reign shapes up. You guys have any match recommendations from Almas' NJPW run?

He had a rivalry with Nakamura for the IC Title, with their encounter at Kizuna Road arguably being their best match. Not sure about anything else though, I didn't follow his NJPW-run myself. Honestly, I wasn't a fan of his at all until his heel turn. And now, Ingobernable Almas has actually become one of my favorites in NXT (also thanks to Vega, who's the perfect manager) and I was really happy he won the title.

• 1 month later...

So I really just got back into WWE out of nowhere.  Watched last weeks Raw, Smackdown, and NXT on Hulu, and just watched last night Raw on Hulu as well, since I don’t have cable.

Actually haven’t had cable for the past 2 years, so that’s one of the big reasons I’ve stopped watching, and as much as I’ve been tempted to get the Network, apparently they don’t upload the most recent episodes of their shows?  Which seems kind of ridiculous to me, so Hulu seems pretty amazing for that.  Still tempted to get the Network so I can watch some PPV’s.

Anywas, I’m definitely hooked again.  The main event on NXT last week for the European title between Pete Dunne and Tyler Bates was unreal.  Gonna start following Dunne some more because he might’ve quickly become a new favorite of mine.

2 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

So I really just got back into WWE out of nowhere.  Watched last weeks Raw, Smackdown, and NXT on Hulu, and just watched last night Raw on Hulu as well, since I don’t have cable.

Actually haven’t had cable for the past 2 years, so that’s one of the big reasons I’ve stopped watching, and as much as I’ve been tempted to get the Network, apparently they don’t upload the most recent episodes of their shows?  Which seems kind of ridiculous to me, so Hulu seems pretty amazing for that.  Still tempted to get the Network so I can watch some PPV’s.

Anywas, I’m definitely hooked again.  The main event on NXT last week for the European title between Pete Dunne and Tyler Bates was unreal.  Gonna start following Dunne some more because he might’ve quickly become a new favorite of mine.

Raw and Smackdown get uploaded 30 days after airing, per WWE's TV deal with USA. Honestly, the Network is so cheap it's almost dumb not to have it, assuming you would buy at least 1-2 big PPVs a year, it pays for itself.

Edited by scottheisel

27 minutes ago, scottheisel said:

Raw and Smackdown get uploaded 30 days after airing, per WWE's TV deal with USA. Honestly, the Network is so cheap it's almost dumb not to have it, assuming you would buy at least 1-2 big PPVs a year, it pays for itself.

Yeah so that would mean 1 new episode of Raw and Smackdown every month?  I’m already too far behind on stuff haha.  That’s why I love Hulu’s “next day” uploading.

And that’s what everyone says about the Network.  How it pays for itself pretty much instantly.  Now if for some reason I’m not able to watch the PPV live as it’s airing, is it archived almost right away or is it a 30 day wait like the episodes?  Cause it’s almost a garauntee that I will almost always have to wait until at least the next day to get a chance to watch them.

6 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

Yeah so that would mean 1 new episode of Raw and Smackdown every month?  I’m already too far behind on stuff haha.  That’s why I love Hulu’s “next day” uploading.

And that’s what everyone says about the Network.  How it pays for itself pretty much instantly.  Now if for some reason I’m not able to watch the PPV live as it’s airing, is it archived almost right away or is it a 30 day wait like the episodes?  Cause it’s almost a garauntee that I will almost always have to wait until at least the next day to get a chance to watch them.

The only stuff on delay are the recent Raws/SDs — essentially a “new” episode of each is uploaded every week, it’s just a month behind. Everything else is 100% current, and yes, all PPVs are archived forever. There’s also TONS of original content they create plus literally thousands of hours of archived stuff like WCW Nitro, ECW, tons of 70s and 80s stuff, etc

2 hours ago, scottheisel said:

The only stuff on delay are the recent Raws/SDs — essentially a “new” episode of each is uploaded every week, it’s just a month behind. Everything else is 100% current, and yes, all PPVs are archived forever. There’s also TONS of original content they create plus literally thousands of hours of archived stuff like WCW Nitro, ECW, tons of 70s and 80s stuff, etc

Awesome!  More than likely gonna look into getting this soon, thanks.

The WWE Network is great for a few months. I would watch the original programming almost exclusively (Table for Three, Legends House, JBL's show, etc). Plus they have a ton of the wrestling documentaries they did in the 2000-current (although those take a while to be added). Then I would get bored. I let it lapse for months and resubscribe around the big 4 PPV's typically.

Another fun thing I started doing was when Bruce Prichard's podcast ("Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard") goes through a PPV from the past, I listen to the podcast and watch the show. They often point out funny things that weren't supposed to happen and Bruce gives the scoop on what the creative was aiming to achieve. That makes a potentially boring show way more interesting.

1 hour ago, somethingvinyl said:

The WWE Network is great for a few months. I would watch the original programming almost exclusively (Table for Three, Legends House, JBL's show, etc). Plus they have a ton of the wrestling documentaries they did in the 2000-current (although those take a while to be added). Then I would get bored. I let it lapse for months and resubscribe around the big 4 PPV's typically.

Another fun thing I started doing was when Bruce Prichard's podcast ("Something To Wrestle With Bruce Prichard") goes through a PPV from the past, I listen to the podcast and watch the show. They often point out funny things that weren't supposed to happen and Bruce gives the scoop on what the creative was aiming to achieve. That makes a potentially boring show way more interesting.

yea I used to watch a ton of the exclusive shows, but got bored of everything.  Cancelled a few times and currently will renew for RR.  Then cancel until WM.

Edited by njpunkmusic