VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

4 hours ago, FiggyPud said:

You really do.  Ospreay/Takahashi and Naito/Jericho were worth checking out as well.

For sure this. The whole show really built towards the main even though if you pay attention to who wins and loses. Really had me nervous/excited/all the other feelings heading into Okada Omega.

Hey guys, just wanted to pop back in. I still watch tons of wrestling, very little of it being main roster WWE. I'm mostly watching NXT, Progress, EVOLVE, NJPW, and some other indy stuff. Stoked to see everyone pumped about Dominion. That was an amazing show from start to finish, I thought.

I'd been a little skittish about promoting this here, but what the hell. I've been doing a podcast the last couple months, updated twice weekly. It covers Progress, EVOLVE, Defiant Wrestling, others as well. I just did a podcast recapping Dominion, previewing the WWE UK Tournament, and predicting NXT Takeover. To keep it fresh, I'm diving into music as well, reviewing artists' discographies mostly. I've done two music podcasts (a "Where are they now?" sort of thing with two of my buddies and a review of Red City Radio's discog). This Friday's podcast is a review of Beach Slang's discography, which I'm pretty excited to post. You can find the podcast on Podbean (linked above), Apple Podcasts, Google Play Podcasts, and thechairshot.com. Thanks for checking it out and lemme know what you guys think if you do.

Takeover was pretty great (as expected).  Highlights for me being the Tag Title match, Dream/Ricochet, and Gargano/Ciampa.

Black/Sullivan was better than I expected.  At least from Sullivan.  I never really liked him but he definitely earned some points with me in that match.  All the “big guys” should just stay in NXT because they always seem to shine so much more there instead of turning into the “generic heavyweight” they turn into when they get called up.  Then again I guess that can be said about all the NXT guys that get called up.

Edited by FiggyPud

36 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Takeover was pretty great (as expected).  Highlights for me being the Tag Title match, Dream/Ricochet, and Gargano/Ciampa.

Black/Sullivan was better than I expected.  At least from Sullivan.  I never really liked him but he definitely earned some points with me in that match.  All the “big guys” should just stay in NXT because they always seem to shine so much more there instead of turning into the “generic heavyweight” they turn into when they get called up.  Then again I guess that can be said about all the NXT guys that get called up.

Agreed 100% with everything you said. I think Gargano/Ciampa might have been one of the greatest matches I've ever seen. I haven't enjoyed a match with that perfect of storytelling in a long, long time.

Black needs a better feud. Lars was fine, and it's cool that Black conquered a monster like Lars. But, Black needs something better next. I'm also not sold on Shayna yet. She's absolutely terrible on the mic and pretty one-dimensional in the ring.

15 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

Agreed 100% with everything you said. I think Gargano/Ciampa might have been one of the greatest matches I've ever seen. I haven't enjoyed a match with that perfect of storytelling in a long, long time.

Black needs a better feud. Lars was fine, and it's cool that Black conquered a monster like Lars. But, Black needs something better next. I'm also not sold on Shayna yet. She's absolutely terrible on the mic and pretty one-dimensional in the ring.

Man I don’t know if Gargano/Ciampa 2 tops their first match for me.  It’s damn close though.

But I agree about Black needing a better feud.  Wonder who it’ll end up being next?  I’d love to see Dream get a shot but since they had a feud not real long ago I doubt that’ll happen.  Other than that I can’t think who else it could be.  EC3 is an option I guess but I’d imagine it’s a little too soon.  Same with Ricochet.

But yeah, not a fan of Shayna at all.  Whether it’s in the ring or on the mic.  It’s about Kairi’s turn.

Edited by FiggyPud

44 minutes ago, FiggyPud said:

Money In The Bank was rough to get through.  Good lord.  

I actually found it to be pretty fun for a WWE PPV. Some dull spots, but the MITB matches were solid. Alexa's quick cash-in was great and saves the WWE fans from that awful Nia title run. The Shinsuke/AJ match was really enjoyable, but I was pretty shocked that AJ retained. Overall, I'd say that was the first WWE PPV I actually enjoyed in a long time, lol. Doesn't even come close to TakeOver though.

38 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

I actually found it to be pretty fun for a WWE PPV. Some dull spots, but the MITB matches were solid. Alexa's quick cash-in was great and saves the WWE fans from that awful Nia title run. The Shinsuke/AJ match was really enjoyable, but I was pretty shocked that AJ retained. Overall, I'd say that was the first WWE PPV I actually enjoyed in a long time, lol. Doesn't even come close to TakeOver though.

I guess I mispoke.  It was enjoyable for the most part I suppose.  Just a lot of predictable outcomes I felt, which in turn, really took the excitement out of it for me.

Like seriously

Strowman won?  Did anyone honestly think he WOULDN’T?  I don’t mind the guy, but goddamn I’ve started back watching wrestling for almost a year now and him and Reigns are the only 2 guys I’ve seen get title opportunities against Lesnar.  I’m just starting to get so bored of with those 3.

Also salty about Shinsuke not winning.

40 minutes ago, TheWindBlower said:

For the record, I didn't watch the first hour, which included Bryan/Cass and Zayn/Lashley. I heard both of those matches were pretty bad. WWE has really fumbled Bryan's return thus far, but I guess he won that Big Cass feud...

Yeah you didn’t miss anything at all with those matches.  Especially Lashley/Zayn.  What a strange, pointless feud.

On 6/19/2018 at 3:28 AM, FiggyPud said:

Money In The Bank was rough to get through.  Good lord.  

That's how I feel about most WWE shows these days. I stopped watching RAW completely and watch half of the PPVs at most. SD! has gotten good again but I still tend to skip a lot of stuff. NXT and 205 are the only consistent products they got. 

I gotta say, I'm pretty happy with changing my viewing habits. I'm basically Team NJPW now, so that's where my primary focus lies. I'm a big fan of Lucha Underground too and with the G1 coming up, the summer is more than stacked even without WWE's main shows.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, dantheriver said:

G1 final weekend! Anyone keeping up? Not quite as consistently great as last year (I’m not sure how that would even be possible) but I’ve still enjoyed it quite a bit.

Wish I could be keeping up.  I haven’t had any time at all.  Although I’m not positive but I think I may have  the option to watch JUST the “main matches.”  Would be nice cause fast forwarding through the whol shows to find the matches I want are a bitch on the streaming thing I use.

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, somethingvinyl said:

Summer Slam weekend. Of course the best thing was/will be NXT. That opening tag match was great.

Every match was way too good.  As expected of course.  One problem I had though: 

That ending for Gargano/Ciampa was so fucking anti-climatic.  I mean, I honestly didn’t care who one because I’m a big fan of both guys, but seriously?  That wasn’t even the biggest spot of the whole match.  The rest of it was so good I just hate that it ended how it did.[/spoiler]

Edited by FiggyPud

^ Yeah. Since all their matches have been pretty epic, I too expected way too much out of them. It's hard to keep topping yourself over and over without doing something that might actually permanently injure yourself. Those two have so much chemistry together, I can see them feuding again when they're on the main roster.

Velveteen vs. EC3 was sort of a nice pace where the high spots resulted in the ending. Doing anything on the apron is risky, especially that sort of the Death Valley Driver. But then the elbow where Velveteen could land kind of controlled resulting in the pin was nice for me.

Also, EC3 is like a modern day Lex Luger to me. I don't really dig him.

Summerslam was surprisingly pretty great.

Only thing that sucked was a couple of the best matches of the night ended by DQ.  So that was pretty dumb.

Other than that, all around it was probably the best PPV since Wrestlemania.  Every match was good in its own way for the most part.  Except Lesnar/Reigns.  But we’ve all come to expect that by now.