VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

Becky wins the Rumble! Which means you know on Smackdown that Charlotte will declare that Becky was never meant to be in match, they’ll go with that storyline. Honestly I think had they gone with Becky being injured and Charlotte being declared winner by default that you could of had that storyline and Becky declaring she never lost, either way good storytelling in that match. Impressed by that American Ninja Warrior contestant, no idea who she is but she looked good. 

Also according to betting sites, The Rock has now become third favourite to win, be shocking none the less if he’s appearing tonight.

Edited by mcpaddolive

42 minutes ago, mcpaddolive said:

Impressed by that American Ninja Warrior contestant, no idea who she is but she looked good. 

Also according to betting sites, The Rock has now become third favourite to win, be shocking none the less if he’s appearing tonight.

She was in the Mae Young Classic this year.  She wasn’t too bad, but yeah I enjoyed her in the Rumble as well.

This PPV is gonna be pushing 5 hours (7 including pre-show).  That’s way too fucking long.  I gotta get to bed soon lol.

16 minutes ago, Rip said:

She was in the Mae Young Classic this year.  She wasn’t too bad, but yeah I enjoyed her in the Rumble as well.

This PPV is gonna be pushing 5 hours (7 including pre-show).  That’s way too fucking long.  I gotta get to bed soon lol.

I think a lot were expecting Shayna Baezler.

Also Double J in the Rumble! What a surprise

I’m guessing Mania is going to be Lesnar vs Rollins but I would much prefer Rollins vs Byran. The pointless beat down on Balor after the match from Lesnar made me think there’s potential for Demon Balor vs Lesnar at Mania. We all know however that if Rollins does choose Byran, Strowman is getting the match against Lesnar.

7 hours ago, mcpaddolive said:

I’m guessing Mania is going to be Lesnar vs Rollins but I would much prefer Rollins vs Byran. The pointless beat down on Balor after the match from Lesnar made me think there’s potential for Demon Balor vs Lesnar at Mania. We all know however that if Rollins does choose Byran, Strowman is getting the match against Lesnar.

Still don’t understand why we didn’t get The Demon last night.  Makes absolutely no sense.  He’ll use it against Corbin in a match that doesn’t even matter, but won’t use it against someone like Lesnar for the title?  So weird.

On 1/28/2019 at 6:44 AM, Rip said:

Still don’t understand why we didn’t get The Demon last night.  Makes absolutely no sense.  He’ll use it against Corbin in a match that doesn’t even matter, but won’t use it against someone like Lesnar for the title?  So weird.

Well bc he was being booked to lose and they don’t want the Demon persona to lose yet. It makes perfect sense. They could have beefed it up logically a bit by having Balor boast about how he won’t even need the Demon to win or something, but they don’t really do shit with him other than have him smile like a goof.

Edited by dantheriver

4 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Well bc he was being booked to lose and they don’t want the Demon persona to lose yet. It makes perfect sense. They could have beefed it up logically a bit by having Balor boast about how he won’t even need the Demon to win or something, but they don’t really do shit with him other than have him smile like a goof.

They could’ve still booked him as the Demon and lose, but still have him look strong.  Whether he gets pissed and uses a weapon, or Brock gets pissed and uses a weapons because he can’t beat him otherwise.  I don’t know.  Something along the lines of that.  Just would’ve made more sense in general.

1 hour ago, Rip said:

They could’ve still booked him as the Demon and lose, but still have him look strong.  Whether he gets pissed and uses a weapon, or Brock gets pissed and uses a weapons because he can’t beat him otherwise.  I don’t know.  Something along the lines of that.  Just would’ve made more sense in general.

Those guys are so short term minded with all of their booking, let’s not scoff at one of the few long term plans they have. Some day Demon Balor will lose and it will be a huge deal, why waste it on a part time guy who is already over as a wrecking machine?

2 hours ago, dantheriver said:

Those guys are so short term minded with all of their booking, let’s not scoff at one of the few long term plans they have. Some day Demon Balor will lose and it will be a huge deal, why waste it on a part time guy who is already over as a wrecking machine?

Very true.  Just in my mind it made more sense for the Demon to go against him.  That’s all.

On 2/1/2019 at 2:44 PM, dantheriver said:

It’s not even remotely a huge deal. Having the persona come out once a year at Summerslam to beat Corbin gives the character no real credibility. Let’s face it, they’ve absolutely wasted Balor since his comeback, has probably one of the best fan bases but yet will still get beat down by Lashley every week. Then again do they really care about the fans? Just look at Rusev, gave the guy a title far too late into the whole Rusev Day and then turned him heel? Like where’s the logic?

I mean it’s not hard to see why 5/6 members of talent have asked for their release.

I figured the Kofi push was old school wrastling where they push an over babyface to the point where fans think he's going to beat the heel champ and at the last moment the champ somehow squeaks out a wins. But unlike Rick Steiner vs Ric Flair at Clash of the Champions circa mid 90's (the first time I remember noticing that was a concept as a kid), I absolutely LOVED  that 15-20 minutes of Bryan vs. Kofi had to work alone. That was good story telling and it was exciting. I really didn't know who was going to win, even though I suspected it would be Bryan (they customized a belt for his green character after all). 

Stoked we're getting Bryan vs. Kofi at Fastlane in a few weeks — I'm going with a buddy of mine and I think we have good seats.

The rumor is that it's Bryan vs. Kevin Owens for Mania, which seems odd, but if that's the case, I suspect Kofi finally gets a well-deserved battle royal victory in the Andre this year at Mania.

• 2 weeks later...

You got swerved, Scott. I think both will provide a good match with Bryan, but the thing that bugs me most about all of this is that Kofi’s push would’ve been Ali’s. I’ve been an enormous fan of the guy since the CwC tournament, and his push was the most improbable in Vince’s world. I’m gutted for him, having to sit on the sideline watching his replacement get a Mania title match. Fuuuuuuck. That’s gotta burn. Hopefully he doesn’t go into aimlessness in his return like Balor did for too long.

4 hours ago, sabukweli said:

You got swerved, Scott. I think both will provide a good match with Bryan, but the thing that bugs me most about all of this is that Kofi’s push would’ve been Ali’s. I’ve been an enormous fan of the guy since the CwC tournament, and his push was the most improbable in Vince’s world. I’m gutted for him, having to sit on the sideline watching his replacement get a Mania title match. Fuuuuuuck. That’s gotta burn. Hopefully he doesn’t go into aimlessness in his return like Balor did for too long.

Look at it this way: had Ali not gotten injured, he would have likely still gone on the Smackdown gauntlet run like Kofi and maybe still made it to the final two in the chamber, but I honestly don't believe he would have the kind of organic, lightning-in-a-bottle type of momentum and storyline potential that Kofi has right now, after all that. And he DEFINITELY wouldn't be getting the WM match (assuming Kofi does, of course). I'm a big Ali fan, but he has plenty of time to get hotter before he chases the belt. Him falling down adds to his Vince-approved underdog story arc.

Kofi's time for a run is now or never and it will be an awesome moment, if it happens.

By the way, did anyone else looooaaathe that HHH promo last night? Big Dave cuts an awesome Instagram promo and HHH responds with that GARBAGE! I'm not into all this "wrestling isn't real, but our feud is" stuff..

4 hours ago, erikness said:

Look at it this way: had Ali not gotten injured, he would have likely still gone on the Smackdown gauntlet run like Kofi and maybe still made it to the final two in the chamber, but I honestly don't believe he would have the kind of organic, lightning-in-a-bottle type of momentum and storyline potential that Kofi has right now, after all that. And he DEFINITELY wouldn't be getting the WM match (assuming Kofi does, of course). I'm a big Ali fan, but he has plenty of time to get hotter before he chases the belt. Him falling down adds to his Vince-approved underdog story arc.

Kofi's time for a run is now or never and it will be an awesome moment, if it happens.

By the way, did anyone else looooaaathe that HHH promo last night? Big Dave cuts an awesome Instagram promo and HHH responds with that GARBAGE! I'm not into all this "wrestling isn't real, but our feud is" stuff..

They’re really doubling down on pointing out to the fans that it’s all fake lately. I doubt anyone is into it.

And I agree fully with your thoughts on the Kofi/Ali exchange.

7 hours ago, erikness said:

As an at-a-distance WWE fan who waits for friends to tell me which PPV matches are worth going out of my way to see, I’ll admit you sized that up better than my emotions-over-facts approach. The Ali fanboy in me wants to believe this could’ve all been his, but you’re correct it most likely wouldn’t have been.

I stick with the above model for TV as well. The only WWE TV I’ve actually sat down and watched in years were the two recent Smackdown matches between Mysterio and Almas. I spend a lot more time watching NJPW, Progress, and whatever other scattered Euro indies I can see Ospreay, Walter, and Develin matches on. I do generally enjoy NXT Takeovers too, especially anything involving British Strong Style. Speaking of which, anybody else here lucky enough to score a Dunne action figure?

On 3/5/2019 at 1:51 AM, sabukweli said:

Ali does rule, I saw him a while back when he was the champion in DREAMWAVE Wrestling (RIP).  But yeah, there's no way he would've gotten this sustained push that Kofi's getting, because Kofi's whole push now is built off a decade-plus of being overlooked.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, Rip said:

The NXT Takeover card is fucking STACKED.  Holy shit.

I was having this discussion with a work colleague on if they should put the belt on Gargano or Cole. Logical sense would be for Gargano as that’s what he’s worked for the last year.  However with recent call ups being such a flop would you want to move up to the main roster anymore? 

I’d hope that if Gargano was to win they’d keep him on NXT, he’s the face of that roster along with Ciampa. If Cole was to win I wouldn’t be unhappy with the decision but I’m very much assuming Gargano is getting called up permanently.

Speaking of the whole call ups, what was the point in Black/Ricochet/Ciampa/Gargano floating around the main roster and then DIY just going back down to NXT?.

55 minutes ago, mcpaddolive said:

I was having this discussion with a work colleague on if they should put the belt on Gargano or Cole. Logical sense would be for Gargano as that’s what he’s worked for the last year.  However with recent call ups being such a flop would you want to move up to the main roster anymore? 

I’d hope that if Gargano was to win they’d keep him on NXT, he’s the face of that roster along with Ciampa. If Cole was to win I wouldn’t be unhappy with the decision but I’m very much assuming Gargano is getting called up permanently.

Speaking of the whole call ups, what was the point in Black/Ricochet/Ciampa/Gargano floating around the main roster and then DIY just going back down to NXT?.

I’m with you as to I don’t really mind who ends up getting the belt.  Of course I’d love to see it on Gargano but man I love me some Adam Cole BAY BAY as well.  Either way, should be an amazing match.

As for the point of the call-ups, I want to say the main reason was probably to build up some hype for those guys for when their time ACTUALLY comes.  Possibly to avoid the shit that’s been happening with the call-ups recently.  It’s pretty brilliant if you think about it.  Gives those guys more exposure along with testing the water with the RAW/Smackdown crowds.  Maybe the people who didn’t really care for/watch NXT before will start to in order to see these guys at their full potential.  Avoids all the “who the hell are these guys and why should we care about them?” when they hit the main roster.

4 hours ago, Rip said:

I’m with you as to I don’t really mind who ends up getting the belt.  Of course I’d love to see it on Gargano but man I love me some Adam Cole BAY BAY as well.  Either way, should be an amazing match.

As for the point of the call-ups, I want to say the main reason was probably to build up some hype for those guys for when their time ACTUALLY comes.  Possibly to avoid the shit that’s been happening with the call-ups recently.  It’s pretty brilliant if you think about it.  Gives those guys more exposure along with testing the water with the RAW/Smackdown crowds.  Maybe the people who didn’t really care for/watch NXT before will start to in order to see these guys at their full potential.  Avoids all the “who the hell are these guys and why should we care about them?” when they hit the main roster.

But the thing is I think it’s got to the point where NXT become its own identity. You don’t need a call up and you’ll be free to do what you want. For how it is there’s been no reward for being called up now. Apart from AJ Styles, if Vince didn’t make you, he doesn’t want you. They should have pulled the trigger on Nakamura after winning the rumble but decided against it and it’s almost like after they put the belt on Finn and he got injured he’s been punished for it.

1 hour ago, mcpaddolive said:

But the thing is I think it’s got to the point where NXT become its own identity. You don’t need a call up and you’ll be free to do what you want. For how it is there’s been no reward for being called up now. Apart from AJ Styles, if Vince didn’t make you, he doesn’t want you. They should have pulled the trigger on Nakamura after winning the rumble but decided against it and it’s almost like after they put the belt on Finn and he got injured he’s been punished for it.

I totally agree and feel the same.  Unfortunately WWE usually has a different mindset lol.