VC Official Pro Wrestling Thread

7 minutes ago, mmfood said:

The Zayn match was easily the best match I've seen since I've started re-watching wrestling again earlier this year. 

I need to know, why did the ref ring the bell during the miz fight? There was no interference. My only thought was a count out 

I don't understand the count out rule. During the clubs match both legal men were outside of the ring at one point while two other dudes were fighting in the ring and the ref wasn't counting. 

Ref rang the bell for a count out during the Miz match. WWE follows a 10 second count out rule (not every promotion follows this). The count out rule ONLY applies to the legal men in the match. Therefore, in a tag match such as The Club vs. Cena/Enzo/Cass, while Cena and Styles are fighting in the ring as the legal men, the non-legal men (those not tagged into the match i.e. Gallows/Anderson/Enzo/Cass) can fight outside of the ring as they please. Technically, they could brawl to backstage so long as there's no illegal weapons or interferences. I hope this clears it up a touch!

So, are we thinking that this WWE Universal Championship is a good idea? Will it be the same caliber as the WWE Heavyweight Championship? When Stephanie announced it, she brought it up after referencing the defeat of Reigns and not having the WHC on Raw. Having Rollins in the mix makes me think it's gonna be their top-tier title, which makes sense after the brand split. WWE Universal Championship, that name is grower though. Kinda dumb.

Holy shit, RAW was amazing. I loved everything about it; the overall feel, how the production was handled, the new opening, the commentary table next to the stage, the pre- and post-interviews. They borrowed a lot from the Ruthless Aggression era and modernised it, which is great.

I'm still in shock Sasha already got her big moment, fully expected it to happen at SummerSlam. And Balor beating Reigns clean as a whistle? AND facing Rollins for the title at SummerSlam? What a time to be alive.

I have mixed feelings about the Universal Title. The name is kinda dumb but RAW needs a top male title if the brand split is gonna be strict. And I think it's clear it's not a proper WHC like the WWE title (even though it's gonna be RAW's main championship) - otherwise, they'd just call it the World Heavyweight Title again, right?

13 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Ref rang the bell for a count out during the Miz match. WWE follows a 10 second count out rule (not every promotion follows this). The count out rule ONLY applies to the legal men in the match. Therefore, in a tag match such as The Club vs. Cena/Enzo/Cass, while Cena and Styles are fighting in the ring as the legal men, the non-legal men (those not tagged into the match i.e. Gallows/Anderson/Enzo/Cass) can fight outside of the ring as they please. Technically, they could brawl to backstage so long as there's no illegal weapons or interferences. I hope this clears it up a touch!

Actually at one point Cena and Styles were both the legal men but they were outside the ring while others were inside the ring fighting and the ref wasn't doing a count out. So I was just trying to understand why - maybe there was a no count out rule??

Anyway - Raw was great. I knew that they were going to announce a new title - shouldn't be a surprise to anyone since history repeats itself. I knew Sasha was going to win, the only surprise to me was that Reigns lost even though in the back of my mind I knew Finn Balor was going to win. The way it's shaping up to be it's like expect what you're hoping to see lol

5 minutes ago, mmfood said:

Actually at one point Cena and Styles were both the legal men but they were outside the ring while others were inside the ring fighting and the ref wasn't doing a count out. So I was just trying to understand why - maybe there was a no count out rule??

Ah, so, that would come down to the ref prioritizing the rules, I guess. Illegal men generally have 5 seconds to leave the ring. This count is normally super slow and hardly enforced. So, it's possible that the ref, in this case, was trying to get the illegal men out of the ring before focusing back on the legal men outside of the ring. Distractions like that normally serve the purpose of letting the action get out of hand outside of the ring to set up for a cool spot or something. At the end of the day, it pretty much all comes down to the ref's discretion, and in matches with four, five, six, and so on men, the rules are less likely to be properly enforced.

It is also very possible that there just was no count-out rule in this match. You could be right, there. Also, I didn't know that triple threats were automatically no DQ, until Sunday when Seth used a chair.

Edited by TheWindBlower

I re-watched that match because I fell asleep and I'm 100% sure they announced it was No DQ during the triple threat because I was like oh here we go, we're gonna get interference from Shane O Mac

To my knowledge, the Heavyweight title matches have always been No DQ - Triple H was forever using his Sledge Hammer. But then again I stopped watching wrestling from '05 to now and clearly a lot has changed. 

My fingers were crossed for AJ to win tonight so Summerslam could be the Club's chance to grab all the gold (this of course assuming Anderson and Gallows attack on the New Day leads to a program). Didn't see Ziggler coming. It's fucking wild that shit that isn't super predictable keeps happening.

Also, stoked for Shelton's return!

As a SmackDown! guy, it pains me to say that the premiere was a letdown. It didn't feel nearly as refreshing and exciting as RAW. I get that it'll likely improve in the coming weeks but I thought they would've gone all out for the premiere.

Instead, they had Rhyno show up instead of American Alpha, one of their top draft picks. And while Ziggler as the new #1 Contender is shocking and great, the match itself was strangely uneventful for a 6-Pack Challenge. I mean for a seemingly long while, it was just Crews and Corbin in the ring. And the rest of the matches were nothing special (although Lynch-Natalya was good).

This week easily goes to RAW because it didn't seem like SmackDown! was even trying to deliver a better or just great show.

Another great CWC episode tonight. Kendrick came out as face, but the crowd turned on him towards the end as he played up the heel antics. I loved it. Awesome to watch ZSJ and Gulak work too. Four great matches again. Gulak vs. ZSJ in the second round is gonna be a classic.

NXT was just okay tonight. Billie Kay had an alright match against Santana Garrett, and they advanced some storylines. Nothing too substantial other than Joe vs. Nakamura for the belt and Bayley vs. Asuka II.

12 hours ago, TheWindBlower said:

Another great CWC episode tonight. Kendrick came out as face, but the crowd turned on him towards the end as he played up the heel antics. I loved it. Awesome to watch ZSJ and Gulak work too. Four great matches again. Gulak vs. ZSJ in the second round is gonna be a classic.

NXT was just okay tonight. Billie Kay had an alright match against Santana Garrett, and they advanced some storylines. Nothing too substantial other than Joe vs. Nakamura for the belt and Bayley vs. Asuka II.

I think Mendoza won the crowd over big time with his offense, that totally contributed to them turning on Kendrick. For a moment, I actually wanted him to advance and Kendrick to show up in NXT or SmackDown! as a frustrated free agent. Anyway yeah, ZSJ is just unbelievable.

I'm liking where NXT is going with new faces getting their pushes but yeah, it's gonna take a while until they find and establish themselves and their characters. What about Kota Ibushi's NXT debut though? Was it even announced? They suddenly showed a graphic of him facing Murphy and I damn near shit my pants. I love that they're doing CWC crossovers, everything is possible now. Also can't wait for Itami and Roode next week as well as Gargano-Ciampa. What a time to be a pro wrestling fan.

Edited by Breezus

Oh, WHOA, I completely forgot about Ibushi's debut on NXT. That was pretty awesome except his opponent was either Blake or Murphy, who are consistently letdowns in the ring. It was great to see the crossover though. Next week's episode should be great.

If I didn't really appreciate Kendrick and his work, I may have turned on him, but Mendoza advancing over Kendrick would've been frustrating, to me anyway. One of my favorite parts of their match was when Kendrick scraped Mendoza's teeth (which have braces on them) along the ropes. That was pretty great. I'd love to see Kendrick have one more WWE run, but hell, I'd love to see most of these cruiserweights get a chance in the Performance Center at least.

Gargano vs. Ciampa in the CWC was a match that reminded me why I'm still a wrestling fan. Wow. That was great.

Two great shows, NXT and CWC. Both were very exciting to watch. There's a lot of good stuff on the horizon, too. WWE should be signing so many of these cruiserweights to deals. It's incredible, week after week.

Edited by TheWindBlower

SmackDown! beat RAW twice in a row now. Funny how quickly things can turn around. 3 hours are not doing the show any favours (although that could change with the Cruiserweight Division) but even then, talent is still being underutilised. Neville didn't show up last week, Sami was nowhere to be seen this week - they would've played major roles on the blue show (Zayn could easily be in Ziggler's spot). I hope there's gonna be a supplemental draft in a few months.

On a sidenote, is anyone following the G1 Climax? I finally caught up and there's been so many unbelievable matches.

2 hours ago, Breezus said:

SmackDown! beat RAW twice in a row now. Funny how quickly things can turn around. 3 hours are not doing the show any favours (although that could change with the Cruiserweight Division) but even then, talent is still being underutilised. Neville didn't show up last week, Sami was nowhere to be seen this week - they would've played major roles on the blue show (Zayn could easily be in Ziggler's spot). I hope there's gonna be a supplemental draft in a few months.

On a sidenote, is anyone following the G1 Climax? I finally caught up and there's been so many unbelievable matches.

Smackdown beat Raw in what sense? Your opinion I assume but it would be interesting if it was getting higher ratings. Both shows have been pretty mediocre in my opinion.

Quality-wise, I thought SD! did a better job in the past two weeks, especially regarding the WWE Title picture. They've done a stellar job making Ziggler look like he can hang with Ambrose. The midcard and Tag Team Division are slowly being rebuilt and the Women's Division made an improvement this week. RAW has kinda gotten worse since that incredible premiere but I don't think it's as bad as it was before. The different presentation and adding stakes to matches (where even a Titus-DY program makes sense) helps quite a bit.

I have to say I've enjoyed most of the RAWs and SDs since the brand split. However, I think it's gonna get better when the Universal Title and the Cruiserweight Division come to RAW (and with it, hopefully a better structure) and the new Tag Team and Women's Titles get introduced in the blue brand.

Can someone remind me why I'm supposed to care about Andrade "Cien" Almas? I get that he beat Tye Dillinger twice and is undefeated, but why would Bobby Roode target him? Can Almas even cut a promo? Roode has got to win that match, right?

Otherwise, NXT was an alright show. It's really all about Brooklyn at this point, and that's okay. The hype train is rolling steadily.

Another great CWC. Cedric and Ibushi was an instant classic. Show ended with a "Please sign Cedric" chant, and HHH coming out to shake Cedric's hand and flash a thumbs up to the crowd. Hopefully, they can work out a deal with Cedric for the cruiserweight division on Raw or even just NXT. The guy is a guaranteed star.