Drive Soundtrack?

And I thought its about the music...

I'm a firm believer that when it comes to soundtracks, they need to evoke the visual aspect of the movie as well.  Mondo is really good at capturing the essence of movies in their prints.

There's nothing WRONG with Invada's pressing, but it's just a vinyl pressing, there really isn't anything special about it.

Well Invada filled their pressing with film scenes from the movie while mondo's will feature outside artist's renditions of the movie. So Invada's definitely captures the movie's visual essence better and more accurately. But Mondo's will look cooler obviously and will be heavily stylized which does,impart, reflect the heavily stylized nature of the film. But all of the works Mondo puts out are really distanced from the films they represent. Their goal is to stand alone as a work of art so they purposely don't capture the movie's essence or else they'd just be a boring movie poster that no one would shell out 40 bucks for.

Well Invada filled their pressing with film scenes from the movie while mondo's will feature outside artist's renditions of the movie. So Invada's definitely captures the movie's visual essence better and more accurately. But Mondo's will look cooler obviously and will be heavily stylized which does,impart, reflect the heavily stylized nature of the film. But all of the works Mondo puts out are really distanced from the films they represent. Their goal is to stand alone as a work of art so they purposely don't capture the movie's essence or else they'd just be a boring movie poster that no one would shell out 40 bucks for.

Boring. Cant wait to see what Stout dreamed up! 

I don't agree with this for pretentious arty reasons that hold no real water in an argument.

I don't feel like having a bunch of film scenes pasted in equates to capturing a films "essence".  That's like taking a picture of a waterfall and saying that it automatically captures the majesty of seeing it in person.

The idea of taking a static visual medium and using it to capture the essence of a non-static visual medium (not to mention other stylistic elements such as the way a plot unfolds or dialogue) is not as simple as pasting screen caps.

Basically what I'm saying is that Mondo strives to evoke the same reaction when you see their artwork as when you watch the movie.  I don't believe that can be accomplished by simply proving images from the movie.

/end nonsensical pretentious art rant.

I just feel that mondo tends to give the same type of treatment to incredibly different movies, all of ther prints have a common aesthetic and this seems appropriate to some movies, especially drive, but then they give the same treatment to movies like jaws or lotr and don't get me wrong they look cool as fuck they just don't tend to have any sort of artistic reasoning other than making a cool print of a popular movie

I just feel that mondo tends to give the same type of treatment to incredibly different movies, all of ther prints have a common aesthetic and this seems appropriate to some movies, especially drive, but then they give the same treatment to movies like jaws or lotr and don't get me wrong they look cool as fuck they just don't tend to have any sort of artistic reasoning other than making a cool print of a popular movie

You know Tyler Stout isnt Mondo right? You know Mondo basically just sells prints from all different kinds of artists right? 

You know Tyler Stout isnt Mondo right? You know Mondo basically just sells prints from all different kinds of artists right?

I think you are being very generous when you say "all different kinds". A quick scroll through the archives shows a cohesive style of the numerous artists, I'm not trying to bash Mondo I'm just pointing out the lack of variety when it comes to the prints they tend to sell

I think you are being very generous when you say "all different kinds". A quick scroll through the archives shows a cohesive style of the numerous artists, I'm not trying to bash Mondo I'm just pointing out the lack of variety when it comes to the prints they tend to sell

Is it because they are illustrated? I could see maybe thinking Stout and Taylor had a similar style but they have decent diversity on their roster.

Is it because they are illustrated? I could see maybe thinking Stout and Taylor had a similar style but they have decent diversity on their roster.

All they do is acquire licenses to produce a movie print then commission an artist to create it. If you're into the whole "art print" scene, you see a lot of overlap by the same cast of characters (Taylor, Stout, Horkey, Kelly, Tong, EMEK, etc...). Theyve all got their own unique style to the point anyone remotely versed in this scene would be able to recognize who drew what without knowing beforehand. All these guys, while commissioned by Mondo at times, are all commissioned by tons of different bands for concert prints too. Just to name a few of the bands Ive seen lately, Phish, Soundgarden, Black Keys, Andrew Bird, At The Drive-In. Before Mondo started with the movie prints, most of these guys were making a living in the concert poster genre. All Mondo did was help popularize the industry. 

For that reason, I just have no clue why someone would say that all these Mondo posters look the same? Im not even that big into the scene and I rarely, if ever, buy prints. I think the last print I actually bought was in 2008 and I only own concert prints. I do kind of follow along though because I do find these artists to be incredibly talented and like to look at what theyre producing. Stout, Taylor and Horkey are my favorites so Im pretty excited Mondo chose Stout to create the soundtrack artwork. 

So how many different artists do you guess theyve hired to do their prints since they started their business? 

Of course they will commission some of the more popular artists a little more frequently because those guys are hyped up huge and their prints sellout instantly and create a buzz. Mondo isnt stupid, they keep their prints very limited for a reason. They want to keep people hungry. That buzz also helps the lesser known artists they commission because people just want to own a print because its sold through Mondo. 

Either way, the point is Invada just slapped some movie photos together on their jacket. Mondos version will be a work of art. Ill take that anyday over the Invada release.