The Bluths are back.

I've been wanting to rewatch and I'm four back in and have been for two weeks now and I just have no feeling of wanting to go back to this. pretty bummed about that.

You really should go back to it man, the more episodes you watch the better it gets. I'm not saying that to try to persuade you that it's as good as it was before cause I'm not claiming that. Just that it's a solid season and it finishes fairly strong. As for the new season... I wouldn't be surprised at all if it happened AND if it went back to normal format but maybe sanz a few characters.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Normally crazy TV theories like that make me roll my eyes....but with AD I can say that was probably 100% what the writers were doing.

I picture the writers - even after all these years - still being smug as fuck and sarcastically clapping whenever the internet pieces together one of the crazy theories strung throughout the series.

Or rather... it's the direct, immediate conclusion you'd jump to.  But the style of humor written into AD has never been for those who reach for the low-hanging fruit in comedy.  Which is probably why the show got canned; I imagine it was too clever for its own good.  People don't enjoy having to think about a joke, or getting more from a series after revisiting it.  The masses want mindless, stupid, shallow jokes.  Which is why a well-written comedy like AD is seldom talked about, but every one of your coworkers loves Big Bang Theory because "that Sheldon guy is just so quirky".

Or rather... it's the direct, immediate conclusion you'd jump to.  But the style of humor written into AD has never been for those who reach for the low-hanging fruit in comedy.  Which is probably why the show got canned; I imagine it was too clever for its own good.  People don't enjoy having to think about a joke, or getting more from a series after revisiting it.  The masses want mindless, stupid, shallow jokes.  Which is why a well-written comedy like AD is seldom talked about, but every one of your coworkers loves Big Bang Theory because "that Sheldon guy is just so quirky".

Fox wanted Hurwitz to dumb down the show.

http://www.entertainmentwise.com/news/152278/Arrested-Development-Creator-Mitch-Hurwitz-Refused-To-Dumb-It-Down-For-The-Network

Good.  It's refreshing to see someone stick to their guns and integrity, and end something on a high note instead of bleeding it dry.  What's even more commendable is that - from what I gather - Fox wasn't luring him with additional money.  It wasn't "Hey, if you tone down the writing for season 3, we'll up your paycheck."  It was straight-up "Tone it down or we're going to shit on your chest."  Gotta' respect his stance even after all that.

You chose a pretty polarizing show around here but there's room for both types in the world. Is South Park or always sunny any deeper? Cause those shows are just as revered as AD amongst the VC crowd. People just don't go apeshit defending them because they weren't canned.

You chose a pretty polarizing show around here but there's room for both types in the world. Is South Park or always sunny any deeper? Cause those shows are just as revered as AD amongst the VC crowd. People just don't go apeshit defending them because they weren't canned.

I haven't personally watched a single episode of South Park, but I'd argue that Always Sunny is definitely more clever and well-written than Big Bang, yeah.

And in all fairness, I cited that example because it's one that applies to the real world.  At least for me.  I haven't polled everyone at work, but I'm fairly confident that only a quarter of them are familiar with / enjoy AD... and that's perhaps being a little generous.  I'd say that 90% or more are familiar with Big Bang.  And of that 90%, probably 70% would claim to enjoy it.  All rough estimates, but you get the idea.

I refuse to believe people enjoy Big Bang Theory. I mean I know tons of people do but I just can't wrap my head around it.

Being an Arrested Development fan during its initial run probably took a few years off my life with the constant emotional rollercoaster of "is it canceled? Is someone else picking it up?"

I refuse to believe people enjoy Big Bang Theory. 

I cannot stand the style of comedy where a laughter track is used more as a cue (in my opinion) that a joke was made at all compared to shows such as AD where the jokes are sometimes so layered within themselves that they get funnier the more you think about them or if you get them straight away. Also, the Big Bang Theory is almost taking the stereotypes of the 'nerd' or 'geek' or whatever and playing up to them, for a wide audience who either don't care about comic books/science/*insert more 'nerdy' things here*, and therefore aren't aware of how dumbed down and diluted it is, or people who should really be aware that they themselves are above it.

I can't really think of a programme before, or since, that has had me laughing so hard so regularly like AD. 

Edit: Seeing this thread on the home page did give me a rush of excitement that there was going to be another series...

Well said, Grimes.  And I wish I could have been a part of the AD fanbase while the show was still being aired.  I admittedly jumped on the bandwagon just a year or two ago.  Very late to the party on that one.

Thanks, and to be honest there isn't anything wrong with being late to the party, I think AD will be a party that keeps going for a long time; at least I hope so anyway!

Arrested Development, Lost, and Breaking Bad are all shows I watched from the beginning but everyone I know marathoned once they were over or almost over. I'm actually kind of bitter about it. You don't know pain until you've had to wait a year between new episodes of Lost and Breaking Bad

Arrested Development, Lost, and Breaking Bad are all shows I watched from the beginning but everyone I know marathoned once they were over or almost over. I'm actually kind of bitter about it. You don't know pain until you've had to wait a year between new episodes of Lost and Breaking Bad

Lost was the worst. That split between the first and last half of the last season BB was rough though.