whiskey/scotch/bourbon

If you guys are ever in or around Orange County, the whiskey bar I work at would be a good spot to check out.

Hopscotch Tavern in downtown Fullerton.

When anyone asks me for scotch recommendations, if they like smokey I always recommend Caol Islay. You'll smell the peat and smoke before it even hits the table.

If they like a lighter smoother scotch I always recommend Auchentoshan 12. It's a really nice lowland Scotch distilled near Glasgow.

IMG_1933a.jpg

Wow what an amazing looking place

• 2 weeks later...

I think it is appropriate to give this thread a bump considering the time of year.

Anyone get any scores lately? I know liquor is a common gift for many. 

My girlfriend and I opened gifts today because she goes away for xmas and she got me a variety box of a bunch of local beer and also Glenfiddich 12 and Courvoisier (cognac) and other liquors. Just poured a glass of glenfiddich. mmm

I think it is appropriate to give this thread a bump considering the time of year.

My girlfriend and I opened gifts today because she goes away for xmas and she got me a variety box of a bunch of local beer and also Glenfiddich 12 and Courvoisier (cognac) and other liquors. Just poured a glass of glenfiddich. mmm

Scotch sounds great about right now but I don't think my boss would appreciate it.

got a couple of goodies for christmas:

small bottle of Johnny Walker Red (probably my least favorite scotch on the planet but hey, it was free)

and a bottle of Dewars 12-year, which i am STOKED to open.

Sounds like a couple of nice presents to get through those winter nights

my father-in-law gave us a 12 yr bottle of ancnoc (pronounced a-nock).  he's from scotland so he gets us all these different single malts from places he's familiar with.

last year we got bottles of auchentoshan and jura from him.

that sounds awesome, i'd love to have access to more obscure (to a very basic scotch drinker) ones

Received a bottle of Laphroaig 10.

• 7 months later...

Let's revive this thread.  I've been enjoying Dalmore 15 and Springbank 10 this summer.

The Dalmore is an excellent late night dram, it leaves your mouth with this dry herbal aftertaste that is completely delightful.  It's like the whisky is evaporating inside your mouth.

The Springbank is a totally different monster.  One of the most complex and rewarding drams I've ever tasted.  I just might go so far as to say this could be one of the best scotches ever.   You really have to take it slow and steady with this one though, it is definately best enjoyed over at least an hour.

Not Scotch but I did just get a bottle of Blanton's Bourbon. For all the hype I wasn't that excited - I feel a place like High West gives as good a Bourbon for a good deal less money. 

Anyway - I figure this is a brown liquor so why not. 

Yeah it's summer, so it's definitely bourbon weather.  I have to hold off on some of my favorite malts until the weather cools down.

got my husband a bottle of caol ila 12 for our wedding anniversary.  he got me some bulleit bourbon that was aged 10 yrs, since it was our 10 yr wedding anniversary.  i also have some dickel whisky that i'd been drinking previously, that's some smooth sippin' for a value.  and then some jameson.  i like it all.