whiskey/scotch/bourbon

Great Thread......Just came back from NZ.....and while last time I was able to taste some local Scotch (cant remember name, only a nip as it was pretty pricey) this time a mate and I stumbled on a Japanese Resteraunt that offered all types of Saki.........I cant stand the stuff so the waitress said we should try some Hibiki....we were on holidays so grabbed a glass of the 17yo

it was awesome.......Pretty expensive but Tasted awesome........went down pretty well between some Ramen and Asahi on tap

Never been a big fan of Scotch, Have done a bit of reading lately on different types and the History and cant wait to get into a bit more.........One Bottle at a time

Great Thread......Just came back from NZ.....and while last time I was able to taste some local Scotch (cant remember name, only a nip as it was pretty pricey) this time a mate and I stumbled on a Japanese Resteraunt that offered all types of Saki.........I cant stand the stuff so the waitress said we should try some Hibiki....we were on holidays so grabbed a glass of the 17yo

it was awesome.......Pretty expensive but Tasted awesome........went down pretty well between some Ramen and Asahi on tap

Never been a big fan of Scotch, Have done a bit of reading lately on different types and the History and cant wait to get into a bit more.........One Bottle at a time

Try watching a few of Ralphy's videos on youtube.  He's reviewed most of the single malts and usually educates you in the process.

• 3 months later...

I'm getting a highland park 12 for christmas this year. It will kinda be my first foray into scotch. I bought a bottle of monkey shoulder about a year ago to see if I liked scotch or not, and I do. Not much of a fan of bourbons though. 

I'm more of an irish whiskey person. I have a 12 year Redbreast Cask Strength that is the best thing I have tasted so far. I think my favorite cheap irish whiskey is tullamore dew. 

Bruichladdich is unpeated Islay whisky. Extremely recommended. Other than that, everyone needs to look up the Compass Box Whisky Co. Loads of amazing blended malts. Craftsmanship at its finest! Check their videos on YouTube to get a hint of what they're up to.

There's a lot of good whisky in the $60-$70 nowadays.

I might as well go pour myself a Kilchoman Macheir Bay. Loads of peat!

Just came back from a Holiday and Got myself a Blue Label 1Lt duty free - While its nice, Its very expensive for what it is, very smooth though. Going to be buying a 12 or 17yo Hibiki Next week and then after that i want to get right into checking out what Australia (im from Aus) has to offer......Apparently there is some award winning drops from around here 

• 5 months later...

Bringing this one back from the dead, just grabbed a laphroaig 18 year old, phenomenal stuff. anybody got any more obscure Islay recommendations outside of the big threes standard bottles?

i've had caol ila and bruichladdich.  can't remember the ages of the bottles or if i liked the latter but i know i liked the former.  out of the islay malts, i like lagavulin the best.  yes, just like ron swanson...

i had the chance to try ardberg once at my local bottle shop but the tasting rep rubbed me the wrong way so i just declined.  i've heard decent things about that one though.  might buy a bottle some time and give it a try.

Ardbeg is my jam, the 10 is good, the ugi is great, and that corry is off the chart. My buddy keeps talking up the caol ila So that's probably next. Funny thing is I went fin for the lagavulin, but then i spotted the 18 Ye old laphroaig so I grabbed it. Kilchoman has my attention as well, but that one may be tricky.

Side note: anyone have any experience with caskers.com?

oh man, pardon the typo.  just now realized it's ardbeg not ardberg.  the tasting rep was a total ditz with a heavy valley/OC surfer accent that mispronounced the name so i always assumed it said ardberg.  haha...  i'll give it a try for sure.  i'll give the 18 yr laphroaig a taste, too.  sometimes, i prefer the younger bottles though.  i definitely prefer 10 yr talisker to 18.  18 just gets too smoky and peppery for me.  i like those notes to be more subtle.  so i really enjoy the 10 yr.

• 1 year later...

Not 100% scotch related, but I remembered this thread from before and figured I'd bump it.

I've started a new...project? Every month I buy one bottle of moderately priced, well rated whiskey, scotch, bourbon, or rye. I'm not opening any of them for one full year, so 12 bottles, and then I'm having a nice little tasting! I imagine I'll invite @The Butcha and another friend over to enjoy the good stuff!

I'm trying to only get stuff I've never tried before. Most times I do a little research on something that catches my eye, or ask the folks at my local liquor store/friends for recommendations. The bottle of Lexington I bought purely on impulse because it reminded me of my grandpa, and was the reason I decided to start this endeavor!

So far I've grabbed a bottle of Lexington bourbon, Clynelish 14 year scotch, Rittenhouse rye, and most recently a bottle of Hibiki Harmony. I'm gonna be busting my ass to try to get a bottle of Pappy at or around retail...doubt it'll happen, but if it does...woo buddy.

I'd be really interested to see if anyone else wants to do this, maybe get different stuff than I'm getting and we can report back on what we really end up liking!

Edit: If OP is still around, I think changing the title of this thread to be about more than just scotch might make it a little more of a front page thread. I don't imagine we have too many serious scotch drinkers around these parts, but I'm sure we have some folks who are curious about different whiskeys and offshoots thereof on the boards.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

My dad and I shared a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel and a cigar for his birthday. Might be the best bourbon I've ever had (and I've had pappy). Super smooth and well balanced, not too much of any one flavor. Very very drinkable. I've been searching for a bottle to celebrate the birth of my son and this may be it. 

2 hours ago, piky0032 said:

Recently had a Balvenie 21 and a Royal Salute 18yo? 

Couple of mates got together and put $50 in each to grab some bottles outside our price range to give a try.....

Both were awesome and a killer way for us to try something we wouldnt really get round to trying 

This is a really great idea!

2 hours ago, atticus said:

My dad and I shared a bottle of Eagle Rare 10 year single barrel and a cigar for his birthday. Might be the best bourbon I've ever had (and I've had pappy). Super smooth and well balanced, not too much of any one flavor. Very very drinkable. I've been searching for a bottle to celebrate the birth of my son and this may be it. 

Oh, nice! I'll look into Eagle Rare. I've heard a lot of people lately saying that while Pappy is good it certainly isn't the best out there as so many claim. I myself have not had the pleasure of tasting it, so I can't say, but I'd believe it.

On 9/4/2016 at 10:50 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Not 100% scotch related, but I remembered this thread from before and figured I'd bump it.

I've started a new...project? Every month I buy one bottle of moderately priced, well rated whiskey, scotch, bourbon, or rye. I'm not opening any of them for one full year, so 12 bottles, and then I'm having a nice little tasting! I imagine I'll invite @The Butcha and another friend over to enjoy the good stuff!

I'm trying to only get stuff I've never tried before. Most times I do a little research on something that catches my eye, or ask the folks at my local liquor store/friends for recommendations. The bottle of Lexington I bought purely on impulse because it reminded me of my grandpa, and was the reason I decided to start this endeavor!

So far I've grabbed a bottle of Lexington bourbon, Clynelish 14 year scotch, Rittenhouse rye, and most recently a bottle of Hibiki Harmony. I'm gonna be busting my ass to try to get a bottle of Pappy at or around retail...doubt it'll happen, but if it does...woo buddy.

I'd be really interested to see if anyone else wants to do this, maybe get different stuff than I'm getting and we can report back on what we really end up liking!

Edit: If OP is still around, I think changing the title of this thread to be about more than just scotch might make it a little more of a front page thread. I don't imagine we have too many serious scotch drinkers around these parts, but I'm sure we have some folks who are curious about different whiskeys and offshoots thereof on the boards.

Man, you have some willpower to not open any of the bottles for a year! My friend left his bourbon collection at my house and said I can drink some. It's been difficult not to be a dick and swill it all. Good luck on that Pappy. Seems like you need to know someone these days to score a bottle.

47 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

This is a really great idea!

Oh, nice! I'll look into Eagle Rare. I've heard a lot of people lately saying that while Pappy is good it certainly isn't the best out there as so many claim. I myself have not had the pleasure of tasting it, so I can't say, but I'd believe it.

Eagle Rare is made by the Buffalo Trace distillery and so is Pappy. So they are all in the same family. Purely an individual taste thing because clearly, Pappy is a legend for a reason, but I prefer the Eagle Rare single barrel.

Although, while it is a masterful bourbon to be sure, I do tend to think the pappy craze is a little inflated by the "rarest variant" syndrome. Turns out 2000s era scene bands/labels aren't the only ones who understand manufactured scarcity.