whiskey/scotch/bourbon

41 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

@The Ghost of Randy Savage This sounds like a great idea. I've had one sip of pappy in my lifetime. It was delicious. 

Awesome! Yeah...I doubt Pappy will happen, but you never know. I'll end up grabbing something wheated if I don't manage to grab one though.

44 minutes ago, lexicondevil said:

Man, you have some willpower to not open any of the bottles for a year! My friend left his bourbon collection at my house and said I can drink some. It's been difficult not to be a dick and swill it all. Good luck on that Pappy. Seems like you need to know someone these days to score a bottle.

It's been a struggle!

As far as the manufactured scarcity...yeah, I'm sure that's a big part of it :)

Everything I've read says a lot of those Buffalo Trace bourbons are really similar and all have the same starting mash, so it makes sense.

Had a decent weekend.  Sipped on some Very Old Barton bottled in Bond.

not a fan of Irish Whiskey in general, had a glass of Quiet Gentleman and it wasn't bad

love that Bulleit now has a 10 year aged....which when Bulleit initially hit the market it was a 10 year aged bourbon....so now that they've built up their reputation and price-point they're now offering their original product at a higher price.    I love Bulleit bourban and their rye, my favorite that I've had at that price-point, but a little bummed that the original is now more expensive....I'm certain I'll break down and grab a bottle soon enough though

42 minutes ago, birdwell said:

Had a decent weekend.  Sipped on some Very Old Barton bottled in Bond.

not a fan of Irish Whiskey in general, had a glass of Quiet Gentleman and it wasn't bad

love that Bulleit now has a 10 year aged....which when Bulleit initially hit the market it was a 10 year aged bourbon....so now that they've built up their reputation and price-point they're now offering their original product at a higher price.    I love Bulleit bourban and their rye, my favorite that I've had at that price-point, but a little bummed that the original is now more expensive....I'm certain I'll break down and grab a bottle soon enough though

Bulleit is super solid! I've considered grabbing a bottle for my tasting even though I've had it before, but I really want to stick with stuff I haven't had.

I feel similarly when it comes to Irish whiskey. A lot of times they just seem to be missing the depth of flavor that bourbon, scotch, etc. have.

Definitely going to grab some kind of cask strength something, and something bottled in bond too for the tasting though.

9 hours ago, rooks said:

I've been neglecting all my bourbons. But, it's almost time for chilly fall evenings. The wrong will be righted soon enough.

I'm excited for Bourbon weather. I have a bottle of Old Forester Birthday I've been wanting to open.

I've been wanting to try some Jefferson's Ocean, but it's an expensive pull.

Edited by Dave Grohl

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2016 at 9:53 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I can't do cider, but I'd imagine that sounds good to a lot of people!

You should try Redd's apple ale. Nowhere near as sweet as cider. More of a beer with an apple flavor to it. It pairs really well with bourbon.

My usual go tos are Evan Williams, Bird Dog, and Benchmark (which is a Bufallo Trace brand).

Have also gotten into oak-barrel-aged rums lately.  Anyone else?

1 hour ago, ChasHawk said:

You should try Redd's apple ale. Nowhere near as sweet as cider. More of a beer with an apple flavor to it. It pairs really well with bourbon.

My usual go tos are Evan Williams, Bird Dog, and Benchmark (which is a Bufallo Trace brand).

Have also gotten into oak-barrel-aged rums lately.  Anyone else?

I may have to try that ale. There's something about apples after they've been processed in any way that I don't love. I'll eat raw Apple all day though.

ive never been a big run guy, too sweet for me, but the aging could help with that I'd imagine.

My wife and I were in Ireland for a little over 2 weeks over August/Sept.  I didn't get to hit as many distilleries as I wanted to, but had a great time regardless.  We went to the Irish Whiskey Museum in Dublin and did the premium (4 whiskey)  tour/tasting.  Very entertaining and informative.  Ended up answering some random question correctly and was rewarded with a glass of Powers John's Lane 12yr. The tasting was great, although unfortunately I don't recall all of the offerings, probably because my wife is not a whiskey drinker and she took a little nip of each of hers and left me to finish them. 

We went to Bushmills (Black Bush is one of my regulars)  and did the tour with a tasting for myself.  Had standard, black, 10yr and the 12yr distillery reserve (which was included with the tour and again had my wife's as well). I ended up getting a personalized bottle of the 12yr to bring home. 

We also went to Kilbeggan and did the tour and I did the tasting.  We each got a standard (again, I had hers).  I got the Tyrconnell flight which had 10 year finishes in Sherry, Port, and Madeira as well as the 18 yr single cask.  I also did the silver flight which would have had standard Kilbeggan blend, Locke's single malt and Kilbeggan single grain.  The bartender swapped my standard for the 21yr Kilbeggan at no charge.  I left there feeling pretty darn good but empty handed. 

On our way home, at the airport, my wife wanted to hit the duty free and I ended up with a bottle of the Tyrconnell 10 year sherry finish and Kilbeggan 21 yr to go along with the Bushmills. 

Of course I had several others at pubs throughout the trip... 

• 1 month later...

Got my October and November bottles since I last updated this thread. I stayed well under budget in October, so I went a little over in November... October's bottle was an Old Weller Antique 107, and November was a bottle of Lagavulin 16 year.

I've decided that my 12 bottles for the year are going to rotate three times through bourbon, scotch, rye, and either a Japanese or Irish whiskey (so far it's looking like I may go entirely Japanese for this little project).

This puts me at the halfway mark, so I'm really starting to get excited. I did realize that the tasting may have to be spread over two nights so we can actually taste what we're drinking toward the end.

• 3 weeks later...

So I've laid out a few of my next purchases for the "year of buys."

Looking at one of the Whistlepig ryes

Hopefully the Nikka Taketsuru whiskey if I can come across one

Willet Pot Still Reserve

Then I'm torn on this one, thinking about a few choices, let me know if you've tried any and like them:

Aberlour A'bunadh, Laphroaig quarter cask, Balvenie Carribbean cask, or Laphroaig triple wood

torn again on either Michter's or Willett rye

And then a suggestion for another Japanese whiskey is appreciated for this last one! (considering another Nikka, the coffey grain)

2 minutes ago, birdwell said:

A bunch of my friends went up to Kentucky last weekend to try and get a bottle of Pappy, of the five that went, one got a bottle of 10 year (I think it was the 10 year)....definitely going with them next year to try and grab a bottle

Ah yes, the 10 year "Old Rip Van Winkle"  :)

That's pretty cool that at least one of them got some!

I'm entered in a bunch of lotteries to "win the chance to buy" here in Portland, and even as far away as Idaho...if I win that one I'll be driving 6 hours one way to Boise to buy a bottle of bourbon. ::sigh::

Genuinely hoping to win at my local, regular liquor store.

9 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Willet Pot Still Reserve

Then I'm torn on this one, thinking about a few choices, let me know if you've tried any and like them:

Aberlour A'bunadh, Laphroaig quarter cask, Balvenie Carribbean cask, or Laphroaig triple wood

And then a suggestion for another Japanese whiskey is appreciated for this last one! (considering another Nikka, the coffey grain)

I can only speak to one, but I have to go with my suggestion of Willett because it's delicious and everything you'll want in a rye. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/21/2016 at 11:13 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Willet Pot Still Reserve

Liquor store employee here. Can only speak on observations and sales trends, haven't tried the products you mentioned. Can confirm that for a $77 or $120 price tag those whistle pigs fly off the shelf. Nikka coffey grain is slowly building a reputation. Everyone who has tried it has come back and bought more. Was glad to see you already grabbed a bottle of rittenHouse rye, another rye you should look into is high west rondezvous rye. Or keep your eyes peeled for sazerac rye 6 year. 

• 1 month later...

Snagged my Nikka Coffey Grain the other day and the liquor store employee talked me into grabbing my Willett Pot Still Reserve bourbon at the same time. Ups the timeline for my tasting a little bit. Getting excited!

I also grabbed a bottle of Jameson Black Barrel for a buddy's b-day. He's always been a pretty big fan of the Jameson brand.