whiskey/scotch/bourbon

4 hours ago, jerseydave77 said:

If you see High West "a midwinter nights dram" you should grab and taste it before it's gone.

ive gotten very into Japanese Whiskey and have be happy to keep a Yamazaki and Hibiki 12 at all times. Hasn't always been easy. 

Hold those 12s for special occasions at this point! It'll be a bummer when they stop showing up on anyone's shelves

• 2 weeks later...

Have been making my way through the bottom shelf at Woodman's (local grocery chain with a HUGE liquor dept).

My go-to for bottom shelf is Evan Williams (which I've always called the smart-man's Maker's Mark).

All the ones I've tried recently are comparable in price, and most in flavor profile as well.

Very Old Barton $14.99 - no longer aged 6 years, but still very good.

Evan Williams 1783 $17.99 - Even better than black label for a couple dollars more.

Rebel Yell $15.99 - A bit spicier and more peppery, but still on the mellow side.

Benchmark Old #8 Brand $9.99 - One of the best cheap bourbons you can buy. Bottled by Buffalo Trace.

5 minutes ago, ChasHawk said:

Have been making my way through the bottom shelf at Woodman's (local grocery chain with a HUGE liquor dept).

My go-to for bottom shelf is Evan Williams (which I've always called the smart-man's Maker's Mark).

All the ones I've tried recently are comparable in price, and most in flavor profile as well.

Very Old Barton $14.99 - no longer aged 6 years, but still very good.

Evan Williams 1783 $17.99 - Even better than black label for a couple dollars more.

Rebel Yell $15.99 - A bit spicier and more peppery, but still on the mellow side.

Benchmark Old #8 Brand $9.99 - One of the best cheap bourbons you can buy. Bottled by Buffalo Trace.

May have to look for a bottle of that Benchmark. Hard to go too wrong with Buffalo Trace.

There's also a brand new whiskey I plan to try when I feel like ponying up the $35, that is made two counties over from where I live in Illinois.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/made-in-chicago-wondertucky-distillery-bottling/

e3Q8=

The bottles currently for sale are still from batch 000001.

34 minutes ago, ChasHawk said:

There's also a brand new whiskey I plan to try when I feel like ponying up the $35, that is made two counties over from where I live in Illinois.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2015/11/23/made-in-chicago-wondertucky-distillery-bottling/

e3Q8=

Huh! I may try to get one just so I can have a bottle of something from batch 000001! That's awesome.

10 hours ago, ChasHawk said:

e3Q8=

Website isn't working currently - but I'd be keen to get hold of a bottle.

On 1/13/2017 at 9:04 PM, The Butcha said:

There's a bar down the street from my house with 12, 15, and 20 year Pappy.

My brother brought a 20 year Pappy from his collection to our younger brothers wedding last year. I felt like it was forbidden fruit but nothing to remember as being particularly special. It's like a movie that has been over-hyped for months: there was no way for it to live up when I finally indulged.

I'm having my final pour of the 15-year Balvenie Single Barrel Sherry Cask my brothers and I shared over dinner a month back. We've been having a good time the past few years treating each other. 

36 minutes ago, jerseydave77 said:

My brother brought a 20 year Pappy from his collection to our younger brothers wedding last year. I felt like it was forbidden fruit but nothing to remember as being particularly special. It's like a movie that has been over-hyped for months: there was no way for it to live up when I finally indulged.

I'm having my final pour of the 15-year Balvenie Single Barrel Sherry Cask my brothers and I shared over dinner a month back. We've been having a good time the past few years treating each other. 

I fear this about Pappy.

How's that Balvenie been treating you?

I missed out on getting a bottle of Yamazaki 12 year this week and I'm pretty bummed at myself about it. Got a bottle of Aberlour A'bunadh to make myself feel better about it :) Two more months and I get to crack into the stash!

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

The Balvenie is really sweet from the Sherry. It was a nice bottle but I doubt I'd spend that money on it again. I have a nice stash of stuff right now and am not looking to buy anything unless it really catches my eye as hard to come by. I need another bottle of Pikesville Rye for an everyday sipper but otherwise I'm pretty set for months. I am having a 10th Anniversary party in May so will probably make that my next indulgence point. 

I had an opportunity to get a bottle of A'bunadh Batch 58 recently and passed - I regret it. 

1 hour ago, jerseydave77 said:

The Balvenie is really sweet from the Sherry. It was a nice bottle but I doubt I'd spend that money on it again. I have a nice stash of stuff right now and am not looking to buy anything unless it really catches my eye as hard to come by. I need another bottle of Pikesville Rye for an everyday sipper but otherwise I'm pretty set for months. I am having a 10th Anniversary party in May so will probably make that my next indulgence point. 

I had an opportunity to get a bottle of A'bunadh Batch 58 recently and passed - I regret it. 

I can check to see what batch mine is/they're selling at my local. They had about 3 or 4 more bottles left.

2mcc1g5.jpg

Thought I'd throw up an update on the 12 month project

• Lexington Bourbon While this was the bourbon that started me on this quest, I replaced it in the line-up today with a bottle of Elmer T. Lee that I happened to be lucky enough to grab :)
  • Willett Pot Still Reserve Bourbon
  • Old Weller Antique 107 Bourbon
  • Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond
  • Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch
  • Aberlour A'bunadh batch 53 Scotch
  • Hibiki Harmony Whiskey (Japan)
  • Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey (Japan)

If I can find a damn Yamazaki 12 year that's the ideal finisher to the Japanese whiskeys, and I'm thinking about Michter's rye to finish off that batch.

A better bourbon came along.

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

2mcc1g5.jpg

• Lexington Bourbon While this was the bourbon that started me on this quest, I replaced it in the line-up today with a bottle of Elmer T. Lee that I happened to be lucky enough to grab :)
  • Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch

If I can find a damn Yamazaki 12 year that's the ideal finisher to the Japanese whiskeys, and I'm thinking about Michter's rye to finish off that batch.

Wish I was invited to that tasting party

23 minutes ago, birdwell said:

Wish I was invited to that tasting party

It's gonna be gooooood! :) I actually found some glencairn glasses today on amazon for ~$14 for a set a four, so it looks like the cutoff is going to be myself and three other people! I'm planning to probably do multiple nights now that I've had time to think about it too.

I figure after about 3-4 drinks you're not going to be getting as good a taste read on them. ;)

I keep hoping someone else will do this too! It does take a heck of a lot of willpower though.

6 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

2mcc1g5.jpg

• Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch

You're a hero. Very jealous/impressed with this endeavor! Glad to see you picked up that Willett ;)