whiskey/scotch/bourbon

On 2/5/2017 at 1:55 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Right? That's like going into any other dedicated thread and saying, "Why aren't you guys talking about this other unrelated thing?!"

i wouldn't say mezcal is completely unrelated to whiskey. they are both hip alcohol products with high and low end options. was curious if anyone on the boards even drinks it. i might be up for starting a mezcal thread, per birdwell's suggestion, if there were fellow enthusiasts.

33 minutes ago, ChasHawk said:

Whiskey is only "hip" to douchey millenials.

#sorrynotsorry

Don't engage him. He's genuinely just trying to derail threads.

That said, I missed out on an MSRP bottle of William Larue Weller this weekend and I'm pretty bummed about it.

Asked the distro at my local Woodman's why they didn't carry any of the Bottled in Bond varieties of the bourbons at the store.  Two weeks later, there are three new Bottled in Bond bourbons with their own little section.  I grabbed the Very Old Barton BiB 100 proof for $12.99, and it is fucking delicious. 

3 hours ago, ChasHawk said:

Asked the distro at my local Woodman's why they didn't carry any of the Bottled in Bond varieties of the bourbons at the store.  Two weeks later, there are three new Bottled in Bond bourbons with their own little section.  I grabbed the Very Old Barton BiB 100 proof for $12.99, and it is fucking delicious. 

Nice! My local added some more Japanese whiskey recently after I asked. :)

21 hours ago, ChasHawk said:

Niiiiiice

On 2/12/2017 at 1:34 PM, ChasHawk said:

I've never even thought to glance at the whiskey at Woodman's as I'm usually overwhelmed at the sheer quantity of alcohol in the place. Gonna be on the lookout next time!

Down to one month left before I crack into these badboys!

• Elmer T. Lee
  • Willett Pot Still Reserve Bourbon
  • Old Weller Antique 107 Bourbon
  • Rittenhouse Rye Bottled in Bond
  • Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • High West Double Rye
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch
  • Aberlour A'bunadh batch 53 Scotch
  • Hibiki Harmony Whiskey (Japan)
  • Nikka Coffey Grain Whiskey (Japan)

Snagged the bolded today along with a bottle of Elijah Craig Barrel Proof for funzies. Getting so close!

4 hours ago, birdwell said:

So damned jealous

:P

Thanks!

Im so stoked, dude! I've finally made friends with the people at two of my local liquor stores too, so they've been helping me out a little in my quest when they can.  I'm anxious to see where I end up next month with my last Japanese whiskey. Gotta see what the bro-in-law is able to hook up while he's over there and whether he can ship it straight from there or if I have to wait until he gets back to the states.

24 minutes ago, birdwell said:

Hell Yes!  That rules! Psyched for ya!

Thanks! This is my first foray into online liquor ordering, so I hope it goes well :)

my brother-in-law went out to a bar last night in Japan and my sister sent me photos of what he had...Hibiki 17, Yamazaki 12, and Hakushu 12.  Needless to say I was pretty jealous, but also bummed he didn't get himself anything that isn't also available in the US!

T-T-T-Triple post!

Got a bottle of Yamazaki 12 in the mail today. Tastings are getting bumped up to 4 bottles each instead of three. :)

• Elmer T. Lee
  • Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • High West Double Rye
  • Might actually go with Knob Creek Rye. I've always loved their bourbon, but haven't tried the rye yet.
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch
  • Highland Park 12 Scotch
  • Yamazaki 12 (Japan)
  • Suntory Toki (Japan) maybe.

Bolded are the new additions to the tastings.

On March 8, 2017 at 10:21 PM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Well gents. Tonight I cracked open one of the non-tasting bottles I've grabbed recently. 1792 Full Proof pretty damn good! A little firey, but I was more impressed than I expected to be.

I like fiery

I know its not on par, but I bought a bottle of Bulleit 10-year....have barely touched it because of how mellow it is.  To be honest, I wanted the Bulleit Cask Strength, but they were out by the time I made it to the store

28 minutes ago, birdwell said:

I like fiery

I know its not on par, but I bought a bottle of Bulleit 10-year....have barely touched it because of how mellow it is.  To be honest, I wanted the Bulleit Cask Strength, but they were out by the time I made it to the store

Bulleit is super awesome! But yeah, a little mellow. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Cracking into a bottle of Four Roses single barrel tonight. Never disappoints. Gotta say I'm still enjoying the heck out of that 1792 Full Proof though. Had a buddy over the other night and we drank some of that and some Blanton's and it beat the pants off of the Blanton's in taste (in my opinion).

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/11/2017 at 0:26 AM, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

T-T-T-Triple post!

Got a bottle of Yamazaki 12 in the mail today. Tastings are getting bumped up to 4 bottles each instead of three. :)

• Elmer T. Lee
  • Elijah Craig Barrel Proof
  • Whistlepig Rye 10 year
  • High West Double Rye
  • Might actually go with Knob Creek Rye. I've always loved their bourbon, but haven't tried the rye yet.
  • Clynelish 14 Scotch
  • Lagavulin 16 Scotch
  • Highland Park 12 Scotch
  • Yamazaki 12 (Japan)
  • Suntory Toki (Japan) maybe.

Bolded are the new additions to the tastings.

This thread is dangerous to my pocket book. Thanks alot macho man...

it was hella nice out today so i sat on the porch, listened to music, and had some whiskey/bourbon. 

Had some larceny, evan williams single barrel and popped open my recently found (and unavailable in my state) bottle of redbreast 12 years. 

10 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

This thread is dangerous to my pocket book. Thanks alot macho man...

it was hella nice out today so i sat on the porch, listened to music, and had some whiskey/bourbon. 

Had some larceny, evan williams single barrel and popped open my recently found (and unavailable in my state) bottle of redbreast 12 years. 

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Been cutting back on my whiskey spending lately, but I got a couple bucks from my parents for my birthday, so I let myself splurge on a bottle and a copy of BPRD: Hell On Earth Vol. 6 (I'm a bit of a Mike Mignola fanboy :) )

Anywho, picked up Old Forester 1920 prohibition style bourbon. Pretty darn good. Friday I'm having my scotch tasting (finally!) and I'll have notes on the stuff we're trying. My buddy is bringing a bottle of Oban with him too, so that takes the tasting up to five bottles, and I guess officially more into party territory, because after tasting five bottles I'm going to be toasty.