whiskey/scotch/bourbon

tonight. i've drunk. many things.

Oban little bay. Johnny Walker Plat. 1792 Barrel Proof. Elmer T. Lee 2016 and some beers. Overall...terrific night.

I've also listened to some great records! Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat, which lead me to Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous, and then Cursive - Such Blinding Stars for Starving Eyes. Next up...who knows?

1 minute ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

tonight. i've drunk. many things.

Oban little bay. Johnny Walker Plat. 1792 Barrel Proof. Elmer T. Lee 2016 and some beers. Overall...terrific night.

I've also listened to some great records! Jenny Lewis and the Watson Twins - Rabbit Fur Coat, which lead me to Rilo Kiley - More Adventurous, and then Cursive - Such Blinding Stars for Starving Eyes. Next up...who knows?

Time for some 80's hair metal.

• 4 weeks later...

Alright, gents -- just had a baby and figured I wouldn't be seeing the inside of a bar for a while, so I went ahead and started collecting some bottles for sweet sweet consumption at the homestead. I've never kept anything above Evan Williams black label at the house so I feel like this is a step in the right direction. Got some Glencairn glasses over the holidays and overall am feeling pretty fancy, :lol:  Feel like I have a pretty good start. 

What you're seeing currently -- 

Blanton's Original Single Barrel

Stagg Jr. 

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 375ml 

Basil Hayden's Rye Whiskey 

Basil Hayden's Dark Rye Whiskey 

Weller Antique 107 

Weller 12 

Jameson Distillery Edition -- Only available from the gift shop in Dublin (won it in a blind auction)

Booker's

Bulleit Rye  

Super excited to pop the Weller 12 and Eagle Rare Single Barrel. I'll let y'all know what I think! 

IMG_3298_zpsvjr4arqs.jpg

33 minutes ago, Tamubro said:

Alright, gents -- just had a baby and figured I wouldn't be seeing the inside of a bar for a while, so I went ahead and started collecting some bottles for sweet sweet consumption at the homestead. I've never kept anything above Evan Williams black label at the house so I feel like this is a step in the right direction. Got some Glencairn glasses over the holidays and overall am feeling pretty fancy, :lol:  Feel like I have a pretty good start. 

What you're seeing currently -- 

Blanton's Original Single Barrel

Stagg Jr. 

Eagle Rare Single Barrel 375ml 

Basil Hayden's Rye Whiskey 

Basil Hayden's Dark Rye Whiskey 

Weller Antique 107 

Weller 12 

Jameson Distillery Edition -- Only available from the gift shop in Dublin (won it in a blind auction)

Booker's

Bulleit Rye  

Super excited to pop the Weller 12 and Eagle Rare Single Barrel. I'll let y'all know what I think! 

IMG_3298_zpsvjr4arqs.jpg

Enjoy! Tell me that you think of those. I found the Weller 12 to be underwhelming considering how much Reddit seems to be in love with it. Just tasted sweet on top of sweet to me.

I always see that bookers and am torn on getting it as i think in PA its a 65 dollar bottle i know nothing about. 

Would love to hear feedback. 

Bullet rye has been a go to for making this one drink i really like. 

Going to a friends house for a whiskey tasting tonight. Everyone is bringing a bottle between 30-40 bucks they have never had to share with the group. Hoping for some good stuff!

2 hours ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Enjoy! Tell me that you think of those. I found the Weller 12 to be underwhelming considering how much Reddit seems to be in love with it. Just tasted sweet on top of sweet to me.

For sure! I'll definitely let you know what I think of the Weller 12 once I crack it open. I've definitely heard mixed reviews....those that are flat in love with it and others saying it's not worth all the hype. 

2 hours ago, Twistedshabazz said:

I always see that bookers and am torn on getting it as i think in PA its a 65 dollar bottle i know nothing about. 

Would love to hear feedback. 

Bullet rye has been a go to for making this one drink i really like. 

Going to a friends house for a whiskey tasting tonight. Everyone is bringing a bottle between 30-40 bucks they have never had to share with the group. Hoping for some good stuff!

Thinking of having some Booker's this weekend. I'll keep you in the loop. I was able to snag it for $54 in TX (before tax). Love me some Bulleit Rye! Been a go to of mine for years at the bar.

I went to a tasting the other night exclusively for Angel's Envy (at a liquor store) and I'll be damned if Angel's Envy Finished Rye might be one of my favorite Rye Whiskey's I've ever tried. If you haven't had a pour of that...find it. It's worth it. Found it to be SUPER sweet and spicy all at the same time (which I didn't mind)...loved that I had it around Christmas b/c if you could bottle Christmas this would be what it tasted like. Easy to drink. 

• 1 year later...

Bump this up!

Been collecting some stuff as of late and building up an arsenal.

just cracked my bottle of midwinter’s night dram which I am really enjoying. 

there are things that are just not possible to find in PA state stores but easy to find everywhere else which is frustrating. if anyone stumbles across some blatons or weller and wants to hook a brother up let me know!

also if people want to do a trade or sale of stuff lets get it going!

34 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

Bump this up!

Been collecting some stuff as of late and building up an arsenal.

just cracked my bottle of midwinter’s night dram which I am really enjoying. 

there are things that are just not possible to find in PA state stores but easy to find everywhere else which is frustrating. if anyone stumbles across some blatons or weller and wants to hook a brother up let me know!

also if people want to do a trade or sale of stuff lets get it going!

Blantons are relatively easy, but Weller has gotten harder and harder lately. (I actually don't love Blantons, so I'm not sure how hard it is to find anymore. Used to be pretty easy though.) I've cut down on buying lately because I've just about maxed out my liquor space, but I'll check next time I'm at my local joint.

14 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

Blantons are relatively easy, but Weller has gotten harder and harder lately. (I actually don't love Blantons, so I'm not sure how hard it is to find anymore. Used to be pretty easy though.) I've cut down on buying lately because I've just about maxed out my liquor space, but I'll check next time I'm at my local joint.

You da best. 

the top of my bar is fully covered and have some extra bottles in the cabinets of the bar.  There is a “premium store” that opened a few blocks from my work so if the weather is nice ill go out occasionally and take a walk and see what they have.  You pretty much have to go there to get anything out of the ordinary. It has become dangerous...

re: rare bottles, you're better off going to the hole in the wall spots that are off the beaten path. I've found some really good stuff just collecting dust on the shelf. and also, a lot of shops will hook you up if you're buying something else--if you're already buying an expensive bottle, ask if they've got anything else behind the counter. could get lucky!

7 hours ago, mikeytags said:

almost treated myself for Christmas to a 2oz pour of Whistlepig Boss Hog Black Prince IV last night. It was on the menu, but the bartender told me they were already sold out... has anyone tried any of the Boss Hog series?

Almost bought a bottle the other day, but chickened out. I never get stuff at bars any more.

3 hours ago, batman said:

re: rare bottles, you're better off going to the hole in the wall spots that are off the beaten path. I've found some really good stuff just collecting dust on the shelf. and also, a lot of shops will hook you up if you're buying something else--if you're already buying an expensive bottle, ask if they've got anything else behind the counter. could get lucky!

The problem about Pennsylvania is its state regulated so you have to go to “state stores” to get all liquor. Makes it almost impossible to find the really rare stuff.  When they do get their allotment for rare stuff they do auctions. Last month they auctioned off those rare buffalo trace bottles and had like 35k applicants for like 300 bottles or something insane. 

42 minutes ago, Twistedshabazz said:

The problem about Pennsylvania is its state regulated so you have to go to “state stores” to get all liquor. Makes it almost impossible to find the really rare stuff.  When they do get their allotment for rare stuff they do auctions. Last month they auctioned off those rare buffalo trace bottles and had like 35k applicants for like 300 bottles or something insane. 

Aw man that's a bummer. We have to fight allocation down here in TX--distributors unload on big chain liquor stores (Total Wine, Spec's, etc) who allocate their stock to restaurants/bars (big accounts), and if any is remaining it goes to loyalty club high-rollers behind the scenes. It's a joke. I was able to get Yamazaki 12 and Blanton's recently at a small town shop owned by an older Indian gentleman and his wife. The other system I've seen is a more open loyalty system at a small shop, where you can purchase from a shelf of rarities after you accrue a certain amount of points in the shop. I just don't drink that much, but it's a better system than most.

Edited by batman

my friends here in town all have crazy-ass collections....fucking rocket scientists....I get paid again on the 7th and if my local store still has a bottle of Willet i'm gonna snag one.   Been sipping on my Eagle Rare and Weller Antique lately.   Got my girlfriend a bottle of Basil-Hayden aged in Port Barrels.   Got her mom's boyfriend a bottle of Angel's Envy.   He opened up a bottle port he'd been saving since '94 for XMas dinner that was fucking insanely delicious.  His collection is decent, but he's more of a beer guy.   My friends with their crazy collections here in town often do tasting parties and make runs up to Kentucky every year to do a Barrel pick for their group of deep-pocketed bourbon loving friends.  

On 12/31/2019 at 3:01 PM, birdwell said:

my friends here in town all have crazy-ass collections....fucking rocket scientists....I get paid again on the 7th and if my local store still has a bottle of Willet i'm gonna snag one.   Been sipping on my Eagle Rare and Weller Antique lately.   Got my girlfriend a bottle of Basil-Hayden aged in Port Barrels.   Got her mom's boyfriend a bottle of Angel's Envy.   He opened up a bottle port he'd been saving since '94 for XMas dinner that was fucking insanely delicious.  His collection is decent, but he's more of a beer guy.   My friends with their crazy collections here in town often do tasting parties and make runs up to Kentucky every year to do a Barrel pick for their group of deep-pocketed bourbon loving friends.  

Your friend in Birmingham wants in on these tasting parties haha

On 12/25/2019 at 7:00 AM, Twistedshabazz said:

You da best. 

the top of my bar is fully covered and have some extra bottles in the cabinets of the bar.  There is a “premium store” that opened a few blocks from my work so if the weather is nice ill go out occasionally and take a walk and see what they have.  You pretty much have to go there to get anything out of the ordinary. It has become dangerous...

No luck on the Blanton's. If I get a chance I'll check some other places around town.

12 hours ago, MachoHommeRandallSauvage said:

No luck on the Blanton's. If I get a chance I'll check some other places around town.

Blantons is my favorite, I'm not real picky though. I got the "Whiskey 43" richard petty whiskey for christmas, and th ebottle is bad ass (I'm a big racing fan) but holy shit, it might be the worst whiskey I've ever had. Legitimately.

19 minutes ago, diabretic said:

Blantons is my favorite, I'm not real picky though. I got the "Whiskey 43" richard petty whiskey for christmas, and th ebottle is bad ass (I'm a big racing fan) but holy shit, it might be the worst whiskey I've ever had. Legitimately.

Oh man. Yeah I try to stay away from any kind of novelty whiskey because they're usually cool looking, but disappointing.

Blantons...doesn't do it for me. It has a really grassy taste to me. I handed off the last bottle I bought a couple years ago.