The Felix Culpa - Commitment 2xLP

Stropav

UPDATE

September 13, 2012

We are FINALLY sending the email we've been wanting to send all year. We have completed the production process on "Commitment"! This project has been one for the ages, friends. A project that we'll tell our grand-children about one day. Everything that possibly could have gone wrong did, and for that we apologize. Your patience through all of these delays is extremely appreciated.

With that said, we are assembling the records now. The band has generous added a little bonus to the release to say thanks for hanging in their! The will be shipping out in small batches over the next two weeks. We can't wait for you guys to finally see them in your mailbox (assuming it's large enough to hold a double LP).

Keep an eye out for some preview snapshots of the finished project next week on our Facebook page.

---

Up for preorder at http://www.hun.do.

"On vinyl for the first and only time, ever.

On December 9th, The Felix Culpa will be playing their final show at the Metro in Chicago, IL. To celebrate, the band wanted to make available their debut LP on Vinyl, for the first-time ever.

For this vinyl release, the songs from the So So Remission EP will be added as bonus tracks. This will mark the first physical release for these 3 songs, including 2 reconstructed songs from "Commitment" and fan-favorite "The Killing Stroke".

About the vinyl project

• 100 people must purchase this item before it will be sent in to production.

• The album will be pressed on 2 LPs with reimagined artwork by Marky Hladish

• All 11 original tracks will be included, as well as 3 bonus tracks

• Estimated time of production is 8-10 weeks

• Shipping to anywhere in the US $5 / Additional fees for International Shipping

• Only available until DECEMBER 14th at Midnight!"

This is a terrible idea. If the record won't be for sale at the final show it shouldn't be pressed. This band has never had a sizable following even in Chicago. Their final show isn't even going to sell out. And this is a 2XLP. Mistake.

I wanted to press it for the final show, but the band doesn't have the rights to this album, Common Cloud does (and the guy who ran Common Cloud is the one behind this new Hundo site).

Either way, I plunked my money down this morning for this album, because I love it. I'm hoping 99 other people do, too.

Also, I think their final show might sell out (or come very close), actually. Their album-release show for Sever Your Roots drew something like 700 people, and this is obviously a bigger deal as it's the final show. I know pre-sale tickets have been selling briskly, too.

I really dislike this arrangement of paying upfront for records which may or may not go into production at some vague point in the future. If a record label can't front the cost for a record they believe will recoup their investment then are they really a record label? I'd consider that a minimum requirement.

I'd buy this if it existed.

I really dislike this arrangement of paying upfront for records which may or may not go into production at some vague point in the future. If a record label can't front the cost for a record they believe will recoup their investment then are they really a record label? I'd consider that a minimum requirement.

I agree with this. Isn't this almost exactly what Virgil did?

• 2 weeks later...

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':ef0n4egv]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':ef0n4egv]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I emailed Hundo a few weeks ago and got this response:

I'm still waiting for some info from our printer about finish dates. We're going to try and get some info up on the Hundo Twitter feed.

We hit a log jam of labels trying to get vinyl printed by Record Store Day and SXSW, so there may be some delays.

• 4 weeks later...

Don't know who has seen this, but it was posted on their Fbook a few weeks ago:

THE FELIX CULPA - Commitment Vinyl Reissue

March 6th, 2012

I know, I know… I have not written on here in some time. Not for lack of content, but mostly just because I’ve been really, REALLY busy. I still love you, blog & blog readers. I do kinda hate this particular blog format. But I digress…

Anyway, here’s a quick post about my now-deceased band, The Felix Culpa’s posthumous vinyl reissue of our first full length album, Commitment through Hundo.

The original album cover that I designed way back in 2004 was actually one of my first album projects ever, done when I was just considering diving into the freelance music design waters. I thought it would only be fitting/interesting to see what it would look like if I re-imagined it now, after nearly a decade worth of practice and 100’s of projects under my belt. Also, I just really wanted an excuse to do one more big Culpa related piece as a farewell gift… a bit of closure perhaps… for the other guys in the band, our friends & fans and for myself a little bit too. It’s design-therapy, a new field I’m pioneering.

So here’s a before and after of the old 2004 Commitment cover followed by the new 2012 one. I was intending the redesign to be a surprise for the people that ordered the album. They’d receive it and open it to find the artwork completely redone, and all go “whoaaa…”, but unfortunately the process of finding the original audio masters and having the vinyl lacquers cut and approved has just taken wayyyy too long so I figured I’d post something to tide everyone over.

[image]

[image]

There's more at http://blog.midwestlove.com/ about re-doing the cover, and the back cover as well.

edit: well, shit... that fucker is bigger than I expected. oh well.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

This thing is finally shipping!

We are FINALLY sending the email we've been wanting to send all year. We have completed the production process on "Commitment"! This project has been one for the ages, friends. A project that we'll tell our grand-children about one day. Everything that possibly could have gone wrong did, and for that we apologize. Your patience through all of these delays is extremely appreciated.

With that said, we are assembling the records now. The band has generous added a little bonus to the release to say thanks for hanging in their! The will be shipping out in small batches over the next two weeks. We can't wait for you guys to finally see them in your mailbox (assuming it's large enough to hold a double LP).

Keep an eye out for some preview snapshots of the finished project next week on our Facebook page.