Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but Universal is reissuing the first five albums by The Cure for UK RSD. Supposedly they are all limited, numbered, and on colored 180 gram vinyl.

Unfortunately, none of these will be available in the US until they appear on ebay for stupid prices, so I'm going to go sulk.

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-product.aspx (Half way down the page. Only mentions colored vinyl for Faith, but supposedly it's been confirmed that they're all color).

I wish so much that I could get these. Oh well...

Sorry if this has been mentioned previously, but Universal is reissuing the first five albums by The Cure for UK RSD. Supposedly they are all limited, numbered, and on colored 180 gram vinyl.

Unfortunately, none of these will be available in the US until they appear on ebay for stupid prices, so I'm going to go sulk.

http://www.recordstoreday.co.uk/exclusive-product.aspx (Half way down the page. Only mentions colored vinyl for Faith, but supposedly it's been confirmed that they're all color).

NOT FAIR! WE NEEDZ SOME CURE!

I wish so much that I could get these. Oh well...

I see it as proof that existence is meaningless, fate is cruel, and there's no god. Of course, I am a Cure fan...

Official press release from Polyvinyl about their RSD titles:

of Montreal / Deerhoof "Stygian x} Bisection" 7"[image]

Available: Worldwide

Limited to: 2,000 on clear gold vinyl

Stygian x} Bisection is the latest in a series of collaborative 7"s featuring guest vocalists singing self-composed lyrics and vocal melodies over a Deerhoof instrumentation.

Side A features Kevin Barnes from of Montreal singing to Deerhoof's "Secret Mobilization" (Deerhoof vs. Evil).

Side B features "Feminine Effects" by of Montreal.

XIU XIU / Dirty Beaches "Split" 7"

[image]

Available: US - Polyvinyl Records | EU - Bella Union

Limited to: 2,000 on black vinyl

The Xiu Xiu / Dirty Beaches split 7" features one brand new track from each artist. Limited to 2000 copies on black vinyl, this release includes a digital download of both songs.

Side A features "Always", an Erasure cover by Xiu Xiu.

Side B features "Tu Ne Dis Rien", a Francoise Hardy cover by Dirty Beaches.

Saturday Looks Good To Me "All Your Summer Songs" LP (reissue)

[image]

Limited to: 1,000 on 180-gram white vinyl

This long out of print Polyvinyl classic is available for the very first time in an extremely limited white vinyl version. The Record Store Day limited white vinyl version includes 2 bonus songs never released digitally or on CD. Saturday Looks Good to Me's debut Polyvinyl album showcases an all-star line-up featuring members of Flashpapr, Godzuki, Retsin, Ted Leo & The Pharmacists, Secret Stars, Ida and more. ...Summer Songs has elicited comparisons across the board from Pavement's Slanted & Enchanted to My Bloody Valentine's Loveless to Beach Boys' Pet Sounds.

Pitchfork called it "Unshakeable and unique, an utterly timeless structure," and named it one of the best albums of 2003.

Starfucker "Heaven's Youth (Reptilians Demos)" LP

[image]

Limited to: 1,000 on white vinyl

Starfucker's highly regarded full-length LP Reptilians was originally titled "Heaven's Youth." Like most artists, song ideas, the album concept and even the artwork continued to evolve. The band changed the title, continued to edit and develop the songs until the final version (Reptilians) was released in 2011. The original versions of the songs, that were until now only heard by the band, are being released for the first time in a very limited edition of white vinyl.

Heaven's Youth (Reptilians Demos) features all the original recordings that went on to be Starfucker's Reptilians as well as a re-working of the album artwork. This release offers a very rare insight into the process that Josh Hodges and Starfucker go through from creating demos to finishing album ready songs.

Rainer Maria "Rainer Maria" LP

[image]

Limited to: 300 on 180-gram black vinyl

Rainer Maria is comprised of 12 songs spanning the band's three classic EPs: Rainer Maria, Atlantic and Ears Ring. First, and only, time ever available on vinyl.

Rainer Maria is arguably the most important band in Polyvinyl's 15 year history. They were the first band Polyvinyl "signed," the first full-length album Polyvinyl released and the three members became a lasting part of the PV family that remains today. The New York (by way of Madison, Wisconsin) trio's five albums are often cited as a significant influence by many current artists.

Polyvinyl and Rainer Maria worked together to bring this special release together for Record Store Day 2012. The band curated special new artwork -- taking elements from each EP and creating a hand silk-screened LP jacket. Bob Weston mastered the songs for vinyl and Polyvinyl pressed it up on 180-gram black vinyl. Limited to just 300 copies.

Hey Mercedes "Hey Mercedes" 12" EP

[image]

Limited to: 700 on 180-gram black vinyl

Formed by Bob Nanna (guitar/vocals), Todd Bell (bass/vocals) and Damon Atkinson (drums) after the break-up of Braid in 1999, Hey Mercedes (rounded out by guitarist Mark Dawursk) released its self-titled debut in 2000.

This four-song EP is powerful, harmonious and filled with catchy melodies. Available for the very first time on 180-gram vinyl, this release is exclusive to Record Store Day 2012 and is limited to 700 copies (and also includes a digital download of the songs).

Matt Pond PA "Measure" LP

[image]

Limited to: 1,000 on 180-gram black vinyl

Measure is a shifting agglomeration of acoustic guitar, cello, violin, French horn, flute, bass and drums. Many consider this release to be matt pond PA's most impressive album. There's a quiet optimism on this album that gradually wears through to the surface with repeated listenings.

Now available for the first time ever on 180 gram black vinyl (limited to 1,000 copies).

Matt Pond PA "Several Arrows Later" LP

[image]

Limited to: 1,000 on 180-gram black vinyl

Several Arrows Later represents the most immediate and rocking expression of matt pond PA's music yet. Pond's lyrics push through the confusion of city life (a smaller sky, throttling expectations and terrible parties) and the comfort of country life (the familiar, the green and the seasons) - both asking and telling us why we act the way we do. But it's not a call to action; it's a plea against apathy. Musically, it shies away from the redundancy of present-day rock posturing yet remains totally immediate, relevant and ridiculously catchy.

Mates of State "Crushes (The Covers Mixtape)" LP

[image]

Limited to: 1,500 on clear vinyl

The Mates of State covers album is finally available on vinyl. Crushes includes cover songs of artists such as Tom Waits, Daniel Johnston, Mars Volta and more. Jason Hammel from Mates of State mentions "We've been talking about doing a covers record for a long time. We'd hear a great song at 2 AM while driving the straight line from one part of Texas to the next, and all we'd want to do is play that song as if we had written it. There are so many artists we considered, some for the mere fact that they wrote a perfect song, some for nostalgia's sake, some because more people need to hear them, some for the challenge, and some to shed a whole different light on a song: Our light... make it a duet, more optimistic or maybe less traditional."

Light In The Attic's RSD plans:

[image]

Lee Hazlewood The LHI Years: Singles, Nudes & Backsides (1968-1971) - 2xLP

v/a Never To Be Forgotten - The Flip Side of Stax 1968-1974 - 10x45s Box Set

Available Record Store Day - April 21, 2012

We'll bet all of you were starting to wonder, “hey, what's Light In The Attic got up their sleeve for Record Store Day?”. Well, no more sleepless nights tossing and turning in constant anticipation, here's a sneak peek at our Record Store Day 2012 releases. The LHI Years is packed with cuts from essential albums like Cowboy In Sweden and features duets with Suzi Jane Hokom, Ann-Margret and Nina Lizell, not to mention remastered audio (from the original master tapes), in-depth liner notes and unseen photographs, and 50 random copies include an embroidered LHI Records patch!

The Filp Side of Stax is our love letter to some of the lesser-known Stax Records artists from 1968-1974, collected and presented in a knock-out 7" vinyl box set with an 84-page book filled with informative interviews with surviving artists, candid photos, and personal anecdotes from Stax enthusiasts and label veterans Jim Stewart, Al Bell and Phillip Rauls. Limited to 4,000 hand-numbered copies worldwide, fifteen random copies include autographed photos by Bernie Hayes, Lee Sain, John Gary Williams and Roy Lee Johnson! More info to follow next week but for now, let's just say that we are very, very, very excited to share these with you all.

come on, Scott! where's the updated OP with all the releases? :P

and thanks for the Polyvinyl releases, fuck yeah Rainer Maria 180 gram black. my copy on yellow sounds like dogshit and i emailed them to bitch about their mixed marble color pressings being shit after that one came in. now i better play my Hey Mercedes in case that one sounds bad.

No Idea just announced a Creepoid/Shores split 7-inch:

[image]

Featuring two of No Idea's heroic and cult-celebrated "slowcore" acts, the Creepoid / Shores split EP follows the newly reissued "Horse Heaven" LP from Philadelphia's Creepoid, and serves as a preface to the upcoming "Leavening" LP from Grand Rapids, MI's Shores (out this Summer, also on No Idea). In support of the new release, both bands will be taking part in in-store performances at their local record stores on April 21st, with Shores performing at Vertigo Music in Grand Rapids, and Creepoid performing at Siren Records in the Philadelphia suburb of Doylestown, PA.

Track List:

Creepoid - "Golden String"

Shores - "Weak Trees"

Moneen "Smaller Chairs.." please Dine Alone!!

My god, yes please

I doubt that highly but moneen is repressing The Red Tree on vinyl...

I'm in Brampton (moneen's home town) next time I see Kenny I'll ask about Smaller Chairs, Theory of Harmonial Value, and Are We Really Happy? He still owes me a Hold That Sound Ep...

http://www.dinealonerecords.com/2011/index.php/releases/view/150

[image]

[image]

Longstanding Fugazi fans, JuiceheaD and Osaka Popstar, teamed up and took on the challenge of covering the punk classic, “Waiting Room.” A limited copy of the cover’s 7” will be released on Record Store Day (April 21st) with exclusive artwork by world-renowned Shepard Fairey (Obey Giant Art/Studio Number One).

http://soundcloud.com/misfitsrecords/jh-x-op-waiting-room-advance

Long-time Misfits and Ramones collaborator, John Cafiero (Osaka Popstar), who just edited and contributed an afterword to the recently released Johnny Ramone autobiography (“Commando”), and Misfits Records artist JuiceheaD took the classic track and pumped up the volume with heavy guitar riffs and the call and response chants by the two vocalists trading off.

“I reached out to Dischord (Fugazi’s label) about covering the song and eventually had the pleasure of speaking to Ian MacKaye personally about it” says Cafiero. “Conceptually, it was intimidating because talking to Ian MacKaye about covering “Waiting Room” is like walking on metaphorical hallowed ground. But he’s truly someone that lives up to his ethos.”

The release features 50 hand numbered and signed 18” x 24” screen prints that will be available at select record stores on Record Store Day, signed by John Cafiero (Osaka Popstar), Casey Rider (of Studio Number One), and Shepard Fairey (of Obey Giant Art). The goal of the release is to reawaken the fun and experience of seeking out treasures from your local record store. “Indie Record shops have always been a breeding ground of great music, art, culture and ideas, but they’re becoming casualties of modern circumstance,” Cafiero says of Record Store Day. “It’s exciting and inspiring that artists and individuals are pulling together in recognition of that, and working to create a grass roots uprising in support of maintaining the existence of these small hubs that once were, and to many still are, sacred staples in our society.”

The release features an exclusive etched B-side showcasing the iconic Shepard Fairey sleeve art on black vinyl with a 1-in-10 chance at a red etched vinyl variant. The 7-inch will also include a free digital download card with the MP3s of the new single, plus extended “Time Bomb Remix” of the track. Participating Record Store Day stores are competing to be among those with extremely limited edition prints of the signed cover art for use in their Record Store Day celebrations. Record Store Day will also give away a few of these very collectible prints on their website, www.recordstoreday.com. A signed and numbered edition exclusive to the Osaka Popstar and Misfits Records online shops will be announced and available to the general public.

[image]

[image]

[image]