Official RSD 2012 information/releases thread

At the store where I sometimes work, we were shipped 3 of the Disturbed box set. We still had all 3 of them when I closed yesterday. Also, no one touched the Sinead O'Connor ones, the Freakwater LP, Cursive LP, The Trouble in Mind 7", the Numero Group LP, Fleetwood Mac S/T (someone did buy the 2x45 LP edition), Lou Reeds... several others, actually. We have like one big rack of all the leftover stuff.

We got ripped on the Animal Collective, Sigur Ros, Bonnie Prince Billy (none), Gorillaz (none), and several others.

I worked from 9:30 AM (we opened @ 11am), to 9:30 PM. The first 2-3 people in line were customers I had never once in my life ever seen (probably flippers- I'd like to think I can spot them a mile away, middle aged nervously thumbing thru a list or iPhone with dollar values on it). They kept looking in and staring. The line wrapped around the building and down the street. It was the craziest thing I had ever seen at a record store. One came back yesterday for the Flaming Lips, which we were shipped a ton of, and sold every one of.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

anyone else find it weird to find a cd booklet in your vinyl packaging to substitute as the linear notes. Out of everything i have bought over the past 4 years, this is the first time i have seen this.

edit: i'm talking about straylight run - s/t

I think Victory did this with an ADTR release, too.

thats funny. i don't care that much. the record sounds great, but just can't imagine why you don't spend the extra dime on a full sheet

The UK actually did a one-day sales chart specifically for Record Store Day for the first time ever—here were the top 10 titles that sold in the UK on Saturday:

1 Alabama Shakes – Boys & Girls

2 Adele – 21

3 Trembling Bells – The Marble Downs

4 Graham Coxon – A&E

5 M Ward – A Wasteland Companion

6 Lana Del Rey – Born To Die

7 Jim Lockey And The Solemn Sun – Death

8 The Black Keys – El Camino

9 Dr John – Locked Down

10 The Shins – Port Of Morrow

Billboard recaps the US RSD sales numbers:

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/industry/retail/record-store-day-brings-explosive-sales-1006869152.story

Record Store Day produced explosive sales gains at indie stores, that helped the U.S. industry slightly outpace the prior week's album sales.

For the week ending April 22, indie stores posted a whopping 26.6% gain in album sales to 528,000 units from 417,000 for the prior week ending April 15, according to Nielsen SoundScan. That gain of 111,000 units was responsible for almost all of the U.S. industry's overall gain of 113,000 units over the prior week with album sales growing to 5.72 million from 5.61 million units.

However, in a year over year comparison overall album sales declines 11.6% from the 6.5 million units scanned in the corresponding week of 2011.

Vinyl album sales at indie stores grew 182.7% to 147,000 units from 52,000 units in the prior week. Likewise, indie store singles sales grew 1,016.7% to 67,000 units from 6,000 units, while 12-inch sales in those stores grew nearly 3,000% to 61,000 units from 2,000 units in the prior week.

A press release from Record Store Day contained anecdotal evidence that sales for the event increased. "A solid estimate is that stores are reporting double-digit sales increases from last year," the release said. "This is a 10% increase for some stores and as much as 50% increase for others."

Co-founder/organizer of Record Store Day Michael Kurtz said iin a statment that, "with over 300 special releases, and over a million people who turned out to celebrate around the world, I'm excited, and a bit frightened, to say that Record Store Day was bigger than ever this year."

Looking at year-over-year sales comparisons for RSD, however, is a little bit trickier since Record Store Day fell on April 21 in week 16 of the SoundScan year in 2012 while in 2011 it fell on April 16 in week 15.

So in order to compare apples to apples, Billboard.Biz added together both weeks from both years and found that overall industry album sales were down 11.4% during the two week period to 11.3 million units from the 12.8 million units scanned in 2011. Likewise indie album sales were down 11.4% during that period to 945,000 units from 1.13 million units in the prior year.

Within album sales, indie vinyl album scans grew 1.5% for the two week total to 199,000 units this year versus 196,000 last year. Singles sale displayed greater growth than album sales, posting a 19.7% gain for the two week period to 73,000 units from the prior year's total of 61,000 units, while 12-inch singles grew 16.7.% to 63,000 units from 2011's two-week total of 54,000 units.

• 3 weeks later...
did anyone still need/want a copy of the breakfast club soundtrack or empire records soundtrack? the minus the bear 7"? my local store still has a copy of each one, plus a box or two of other stuff.

You should hit up deafmx, I think he still wants the Minus the Bear 7".

thank you, gonna try to help him out tonight

and if anyone else wants anything just let me know. breakfast club was $20 (i think) + taxes and empire records was $25 + taxes.

• 3 months later...