the neverending story

i keep a list of records i want to buy, it's fairly organized, it has a website, or singular url where i can purchase them, and a price. and i've found that i spend a semi-ridiculous amount of records every month. so i've tried to make myself a budget as well, so i don't get out of hand (i have a tendency to do so sometimes). but the problem is, i'm always finding more stuff i want, more bands, more releases, more new releases, more restocks, more colors, etc. as soon as one thing gets knocked off the list, 5 more get added.

anybody else have this problem?

everybody else have this problem?

My wife and I have had some pretty serious "discussions" about my buying habbits. I'm supposed to spend no more than $50 a month, and I've done a pretty good job of it, with a couple of exceptions.

It's a good idea to set a budget for yourself if you're in a relationship. Records might be important to you, but you have to keep in mind that if you're compromising your relationship or endangering your family's ability to pay bills, etc., then you're no better than some fat, white trash lady sitting in a pile of beanie babies in a mobile home with a broken down car in the yard.

And I just realized I spent over $100 TODAY on records and I feel like a chump.

Take it from me, record collector of the month, spending a lot of money on ANYTHING is stupid if you don't need it. Get yourself a budget.

yeah, actually i've had a general budget for all of 07 so far. and it's worked pretty good, i just inserted the "Records" allowance into it b/c i realized my current buying behavior could potentially get me into trouble. there's just always more stuff, i'll never NOT have a list of records i want.

My wife and I have had some pretty serious "discussions" about my buying habbits. I'm supposed to spend no more than $50 a month, and I've done a pretty good job of it, with a couple of exceptions.

It's a good idea to set a budget for yourself if you're in a relationship. Records might be important to you, but you have to keep in mind that if you're compromising your relationship or endangering your family's ability to pay bills, etc., then you're no better than some fat, white trash lady sitting in a pile of beanie babies in a mobile home with a broken down car in the yard.

And I just realized I spent over $100 TODAY on records and I feel like a chump.

Take it from me, record collector of the month, spending a lot of money on ANYTHING is stupid if you don't need it. Get yourself a budget.

but still everyone needs a hobby and record collecting is just as good as any. however i agree with you spending too much isnt cool either. unless you're completely rich and it doesnt matter :) now if only i was.

i told myself i wasn't able to buy any records at all this spring/summer because i have to travel some this summer to mc weddings and i can't afford it. i've done pretty well too, aside from pre-ordering a minus the bear lp.

and buying the new shellac lp (which is double awesome because it comes with a cd of the album).

and pre-ordering the new against me.

and buying the short attention 7".

and buying one of the limited edition queens of the stone age 7"s for "3's and 7's"

good for me.

the only cds that go for premium is alot of your small label 1,000 pressed/self released type stuff... i had a bunch of Hidden in Plain View's first cd in my old distro, that had been thrown in a box with other unsold stuff down my parents basement.. 2 years ago i sold em to some dudes in japan for $90 a pop.

Records might be important to you, but you have to keep in mind that if you're compromising your relationship or endangering your family's ability to pay bills, etc., then you're no better than some fat, white trash lady sitting in a pile of beanie babies in a mobile home with a broken down car in the yard.

Oakland, is that a reference to Dover Delaware in the 1990s?

CD "collecting" is the biggest joke ever. First off, a CD is only worth about $1.00 when it's made. The paper inside is worth more than the cd itself. With reproduction being as easy as it is these days, it's even more of a joke.

tell that to buckethead fans.

copies of his ntt records pressing of giant robot routinely go for 400+

not saying i disagree with you, but there is an element of completism that people can get into, as there definately are rare cd's out there. and it's often easier to own every release by a certain band on cd than it is record.

I'm just saying, anyone willing to pay $400 for something that can be easily reproduced is out of their mind.

And yeah Dim, that does kind of sound like Dover.

you could say the same thing about vinyl ;)

all it takes is a bribe of a dude who works the night shift at a vinyl plant.. and violia you have an exact replica on whatever color you want :)

I'm just saying, anyone willing to pay $400 for something that can be easily reproduced is out of their mind.

I sold an original pressing of Something Corporate's Ready...Break CD on Ebay for $700 a few months back...

Holy Shit! I can't even imagine paying that much for a vinyl let alone a cd.