Post a Picture of your Axe/Gear!

I've been playing guitar for 5 years now.  I have a Taylor 314ce acoustic which I really like, but my electric is a piece of shit.  I'm average at playing, but my knowledge on guitars and equipment is lacking.  What would you guys recommend as a solid electric for playing a lot of fast punk stuff, but also a decent clean sound?  I'm assuming I'll get answers like "Telecaster, Les Paul, etc...", but there are so many versions and whatnot.  Also, budget will be $800~ when I actually get around to buying it.  Thanks in advance.

$800 can buy a pretty nice guitar, particularly on the used market. Fast punk has been played on many a guitar.  If that's your only requirement, you are left pretty wide open.

Do you have any style preferences (vintage vs modern look, surf style vs metal, etc)? any functional preferences (neck style, scale length, fret board radius)?  If you don't really know what you want, just put your hands on different types.

fwiw, I really like the (left-handed) cobain mustang I picked up a year or so ago for around $800. If I was right handed, I would be all over the Johnny Marr Jaguar.

I had debated the Cobain Jag, but after getting the Hi Flyers, I figure I can go for something else...like a Squier Bass VI.

Next month, it is on...

I had debated the Cobain Jag, but after getting the Hi Flyers, I figure I can go for something else...like a Squier Bass VI.

Next month, it is on...

I am very interested in the new un-reliced version of the Cobain jag.  it's a little hard to swallow laying down over $1000 for a made in Mexico Fender.

Not that I am a huge Cobainophile or whatever.  it's just that the Mustang/Jag are usually very hard to come by as a lefty without paying absurd prices.

I just picked up a Segull Maritime Solid Wood Series cutaway and it is effing unreal. The sound quality is absolutely amazing, the onboard electronics are true sounding and the feel is unmatched. I spent less than $700 and it outplayed up to ~$1500 Martins and Taylors. I haven't even been playing my Les Paul or Tele since I got this thing. 

I also picked up and Egnator tube amp, the Tweaker, and it's gorgeous. It sounds great with all three of my guitars. 

Anyone ever heard of/used this site? 

http://pedalgenie.com/

I saw them on reddit the other day. Basically you can rent guitar pedals for a monthly fee and keep them and swap them out for as long as you have the service (like netflix for guitar pedals). $34.95 which is a bit steep but I can see doing this every now and then to try out effects pedals that cost upwards of $200+. First month is $1 apparently too. Might try it sometime, but was curious what you guys thought. They're still new so I can't find any reputable reviews of the service.

• 3 weeks later...

I saw a sweet Squier Jag in surf green when I was at GC...I almost wanted to just pick it up for the hell of it, but I kept my composure haha.

Yeah, I imagine I will have to tweak the Bass VI because it will have some intonation issues. That's okay though, I planned on modding it out anyway.

Feel free to send me one if you want!

At last count my Acoustic collection was:

- 370 (x4)

- 360 (x1)

- B-2 (x1)

- 150 (x1)

- 301 1x18" (x2)

- 402 2x15" (x1)

- 406 2x15" (x1)

- ??? 2x15" (x1...weird non-marked cab I got with the 150...has an ACC serial # plate though)

- B120 1x15" combo

- 2 wedge monitors

Do I pay $300 for a traditional Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster with rosewood fretboard or $180 for a VM Special with a hard tail bridge, maple fretboard and concentric knobs. Doesn't look as cool, but an extra $120 is pretty cool too. Same electronics, just a different bridge and look. What would you do?

Feel free to send me one if you want!

At last count my Acoustic collection was:

- 370 (x4)

- 360 (x1)

- B-2 (x1)

- 150 (x1)

- 301 1x18" (x2)

- 402 2x15" (x1)

- 406 2x15" (x1)

- ??? 2x15" (x1...weird non-marked cab I got with the 150...has an ACC serial # plate though)

- 1x15" combo

- 2 wedge monitors

haha, the way you are with acoustic stuff i'll be with traynor stuff. except less because I only want the old models, haha