Post a Picture of your Axe/Gear!

you have to be a little careful with some of the cheaper stands out there. They may use padding that will discolor or eat through the finish on your guitar. Particularly an issue with Gibsons or any guitar with a nitro finish.

Most reputable stand manufacturers (example String Swing) will address this somewhere in their specs. Otherwise, you have to go hunt for anecdotal information.

Damn, that's good to know. I don't know if mine is a cheap stand or not, but I haven't noticed anything yet. Thanks for the heads up though

Awesome setup, you should check out an amp stand(s) too.

http://m.guitarcenter.com/Musician-s-Gear-Deluxe-Amp-Stand-107227142-i1322960.gc

I've had this for a few years and it's great. You can hear so much more when the speaker is tilted rather than straight ahead when it's on a floor. Cheap, yet durable as well.

you have to be a little careful with some of the cheaper stands out there. They may use padding that will discolor or eat through the finish on your guitar. Particularly an issue with Gibsons or any guitar with a nitro finish.

Most reputable stand manufacturers (example String Swing) will address this somewhere in their specs. Otherwise, you have to go hunt for anecdotal information.

My first stand had orange rubber on the neck holder and bottom bout. My second guitar: 2000 Gibson SG special limited in off-white.

Definitely has a decent little orange stripe on the back of the neck now...which is fine, it was my main gigging guitar for quite a few years, so it got abused pretty hard so the discoloration is the least of my worries...I mean, I used Duct Tape to try an make a make-shift strap lock (taping the button hole tight, not taping to the guitar) and the duct tape gunk ended up on the finish which I tried to remove with acetate....which thankfully I tried around the back strap button, so that didn't go all the way through to the wood before I realized what was happening, but that lil bit bothers me more than the stripe from the stand.

Now I hate the way my SG sounds....and I've always hated the gold hardware, if I ever have money I'm going to replace the hardware with nickel finish hardware and upgrade the pickups, they 490r/498t sound so thin and crappy in the SG (not to mention that the amount of sweat that ended up inside the neck pickup causing the lead to oxidize and short out all the time).

I would just get another SG with better pickups and such, BUT they don't make this color cream/off-white regularly and they don't do ebony fretboards regularly either, so I'm way stoked on finally getting my SG set back up how I'd like it.

Love the way it feels and plays, just not jazzed on how it sounds or the hardware

Long-story short: totally true about the stands and nitro finishes, but a nitro finish feels/sounds so much nicer than poly to me, thankfully I wasn't bothered by the discoloration on my off-white neck

I've had so much gear in the last few years its crazy. Heres what i can remember...

Fender Telecaster MIM '04 Midnight Wine

Fender Telecaster Roadworn Blonde

Fender Telecaster '52 Reissue '00

Fender Telecaster MIM Black '94

Fender Telecaster Baja '11

Fender Stratocaster Tom Delonge Sig Daphane Blue

Fender Stratocaster Classic Player '50s Surf Green

Fender Stratocaster MIM '94 Lake Placid Blue

Fender Stratocaster MIC Blue (Early Squier)

Squier Jazzmaster Vintage Modified Sunburst

Squier Jaguar Vintage Modified Surf Green

Fender Jaguar HH MIJ Metallic Red

Fender Jazzmaster MIM Sunburst (miss this one very much)

Squier Bass VI Vintage Modified

Fender P Bass MIM '94

Gibson Les Paul Studio '00 Wine Red

Gibson Les Paul Studio '60s Tribute cherry burst

Gibson Les Paul Studio Black

A few acoustics here and there, many many many pedals, Marshall Hdfx100, Fender Performer, Fender Roc Pro, Twin Reverb Silverface '74.

Now all i own is this Taylor that i love dearly..

taylor-110ce-214058.jpg

I moved a 4x12 out of the back of someone's car last week. I'm 20 years old and glad that I've never lugged one of those around. Though I did just complicate my rig by adding a 2x10 cab... now I run two cabs. The other is a 2x12. I used to carry around a Peavey VK212, way too heavy.

I've been in the 212 game for a while now but this 412 popped up a couple years ago with speakers i love/were hard to find so I snatched it at a great price. But between my VOX AC30 and my Sovtek with a 212 I built it was never getting used. Made some money on the sale too, hadn't planned on selling but a friend made an offer I couldn't refuse after using it a bunch of times for gigs. 

I constantly go back and forth on whether to sell my mark IIC+. It sounds incredible and I feel like I'd miss it, but I really don't get to play it much. I probably definitely need the money more. I just think I'd regret it because of how I came by it and that I'd never be able to get another.

Did you get this bad boy yet?  I'd be interested to hear some impressions.  

I got it but haven't had a ton of time to play around.  I'll put up some info as soon as I can.  My other amp for comparison is a Fender Blues Jr NOS (upgraded Jensen speaker).  

I'm hoping to get a nice low distortion sound that will run clean with a little volume/pickup switch.  Maybe throw in a low gain drive pedal in there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

i just lost my guitar. had it in the pawn shop to pay for some debts, and wound up forgetting about it, till the last minute, and walked in the day after it was due and they had already sold it. bummer. i feel stupid for losing it to. :(

That sucks, what was it?

Pushed it with an Overdrive through a 4 x 12 Krank today and its getting some sweet Metal tones..........the clean is wicked...........for what it is and how much you pay for it.....its pretty amazing..........i wouldn't go an get one and expect it to hold up against a band without a Mic and PA..........but for band practice and what i need......its great

That sucks, what was it?

1981 gibson sonex 180. :( i loved that thing.

sux.. my last guitar i had to sell too to get to my mom's funeral from portland.. that i didn't feel bad about selling. it was more important to sell my equipment to be there than to keep it. this one though was my own damn fault. 

Today I'm getting a Texas Heat in the mail. I'm swapping out a Vintage 30 for it. If you want a 16 ohm V30, hmu. Also gonna regrille the cab this weekend. Will post pics if I remember.

How do you like it? I keep debating on it but I don't think I actually have a need

I had one for a little while. It's a cool little amp, but it ended up not being what I wanted. It's pretty much a one-trick pony. Takes pedals pretty well, though don't expect to keep the tone clean at high volumes. 

• 3 months later...

My gf game me her bro's keyboard (he is out of the country and likely never coming back). It's a Korg x5d. Seems to be worth about $300-$400 in good working order. Unfortunately, it will fire up but I cannot get it to make any sound.

Any easy fixes I should investigate? If not, what should I do with it? Throw it on CL as is for, I don't know, $50? Or are they fairly easy to service? I don't want to put hundreds into the thing, but it seems to be worth enough to get it fixed if I can.