Post a Picture of your Axe/Gear!

amnstpls, let me get back to you. I am on a government funded grant and I want to see how the fiscal cliff stuff goes before I make a big purchase. Until then I am just messing around on craigslist trying to find a cool toy for a couple hundred or a trade of something I don't want. It probably won't end up in a purchase.

As for what sound I like, you can look at my list and see what I'm into. If I pick up the guitar, I play Gaslight, Teenage Bottlerocket, the Clash, etc. The highest level I ever see myself playing at would be a couple dudes jamming in a garage or basement with no one listening. Never in clubs or anything.

nice man. to be honest, it sounds like you'd be tickled with a small fender tube combo. you can usually find the hot rod series or the blues series for good prices in pawn shops, GC, or even on craigslist. there are just so many of them out there. They aren't going to give you a crystal clear sound (unless you go for a 410 model), but they consitently sound awesome. they are easy to find parts for, and they are easy to repair. generally speaking, you can never go wrong with a fender tube amp.

^ Truth.

If you have a nice disto/overdrive pedal, you can't go wrong with the Blues Jr. It's perfect for home use and sounds incredible for how small they are.

ohhh yes... slap a ts808 in front of one of these bad boys, and prepare to change your undershorts. damn, all this talking has got me itching to go fire up my rig and make the walls shake.

I never really understood why hand made stuff is higher quality. I would think that the repeatability and precision of a machine would exceed a person. If I cut wood for a project (and I understand, I am far from a master craftsman), I'm just trying to get it right to about a 16th of an inch. A machine should be able to cut it the right length to microns.

because every solid piece of wood is different and a pro luthier can pretty much tap one and figure out how thinly to shave due to the way it resonates. 

dude, go try that sano out. if it's a good price, if so buy it. those things are sweet. 

Couldn't you automate what you just described? A machine could measure the frequency of the resonations down to incredibly small units of measure, and translate that into exactly how thinly to shave it, with more precision than any human being could come close to.

I texted that Sano dude about a trade and he didn't respond. I'll ask him what he wants in cash. If it's reasonable, I'll go test it out.

Amps you just have to try out. There are so many great brands from the 70's that made now super affordable tube amps that sound great and are easy to mod. I play two Traynors right now and combined I paid $450. I've used the bassmaster on every recording I've ever done stacked against Orange/Fender/Marshall. I like them because they give me something different, not just an AD50 turned up 3/4's the way through an SG. I'm picking up a Musicman HD130 this week too that I'm super excited about, I've been waiting on a decently priced one to pop up for a few years now. 

That being said, generally it takes a bit of cash and elbow grease to get the heads running to where they should be but 100% worth it in the end.

I find people often really underestimate what a cab does to your sound. I've gone through about 10-12 different cabs before settling on the one I have now. The difference even between two cabs of the same line just a couple years apart is huge. Take some time, look into different speakers and read about what people are saying. Mess around and see what works. A bad cab is the easiest way to kill any guitar/head. 

The amp talk has me wanting to check craigslist everyday for a tube amp. Right now I play on a Marshall MG30dfx and a Mexican-made strat from about 10 years ago. I am assuming that upgrading the amp will get me more band for my buck right now than upgrading the guitar.

As for what makes the quality of a guitar, I think it's kinda what I suspected. A fraction of a millimeter here, a little bit better of wood there, and it all adds up (since sound waves that are not perfectly in unison cancel each other out rather than resonating).

I never really understood why hand made stuff is higher quality. I would think that the repeatability and precision of a machine would exceed a person. If I cut wood for a project (and I understand, I am far from a master craftsman), I'm just trying to get it right to about a 16th of an inch. A machine should be able to cut it the right length to microns.

Actually, there's a process called PLEK that's kind of what you describe..it's for setting up a guitar though. I know Gibson uses the machine on all of there American guitars. As far as what makes a good instrument.. it seems to me like too many people get wrapped up in the instrument itself. If YOU can make a shitty guitar sound awesome, that's 80 percent right there.

2a36a230456c11e2bb0922000a1fbf4a_7.jpg

So I had said I was going to buy an AC30CC2 for 550 on craigs a few weeks ago. but the guy bailed on me. after some research and scouring craigslist every day, i settled on a peavey 50 classic 4x10. I figured its the best bang for my buck in my price range. picked it up for 400. Gotta say it sound fucking sweet and im sure i havent even found the tone sweet spot yet. I recently hooked up a green russian big muff and holy shit does it have balls. My drummer asked me to turn it down a few times haha.

Another question for the much more musically gifted members of this board than me:

If I almost always play guitar by myself (so I don't really have to "fight" to be heard over things like drums and bass), would I be better off going with something like a 2 x 10 vs. a 2 x 12? Wouldn't a 10" be a better fit for guitar tones, being that the guitar is essentially an instrument for mid / treble whereas a bass guitar would be a better fit with a 12"? Or am I overthinking things?

If you are mostly just jamming solo, 2x10 should be fine, but if you think you may end up jamming with others in the future grab a 2x12.

Bigger speakers do work better for bass, but you still want to make sure your guitar tone covers a decent range of frequencies. Besides, think of all those cabs that are 4x12...

2a36a230456c11e2bb0922000a1fbf4a_7.jpg

So I had said I was going to buy an AC30CC2 for 550 on craigs a few weeks ago. but the guy bailed on me. after some research and scouring craigslist every day, i settled on a peavey 50 classic 4x10. I figured its the best bang for my buck in my price range. picked it up for 400. Gotta say it sound fucking sweet and im sure i havent even found the tone sweet spot yet. I recently hooked up a green russian big muff and holy shit does it have balls. My drummer asked me to turn it down a few times haha.

FUCK, that AC30CC2 for $550 would have been the deal of the year. I saw one today on Toronto craigslist for $900 and that's the cheapest I've seen one go in a longgggg time.

That Peavy is awesome though. A friend has the classic 50 212 and the cleans on it are some of the best I've ever heard. 

This is very interesting:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Peavey-Classic-50-410-50-watt-Guitar-Amp-Combo-and-Peavey-Classic-115E-cabinet-/110992579267?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19d7ac5ac3

Thinking about sending that guy a message and saying "how about you pull it off ebay and I come give you $400 cash for it"

peaveys were used more by country bands than anything else back in the 80s. 90s, no one gaveba damn about them until eddie van halen started using the 5550 amps. Then a resurgence happened. But depending which peaveys u get, theyll never be as good as a high end fenders. But then again, i only like classic 80s peaveys. And the 5505/6505.