Being Veg Is Worse For Animals Than Eating Them

kriss

let me just start out by saying that i think that the whole peta thing is led by a buncha weirdos and i do not agree with a vast majority of their tactics and what they do.

HOWEVER, i can't find any credible source on the internet that says they don't believe that people should have animals as pets. in fact, in their own literature they talk about adopting animals instead of buying them at pet stores.

yes, i have found statistics that say they kill almost 85% of the animals they take in, which is admittedly alarmingly high. supposedly that's because most of the animals they take in are already sick beyond help or something along those lines, but i have no idea if that's true or not.

i'm just genuinely curious to read about this and can't find anything to support this statement.

http://www.petakillsanimals.com/downloads/PetaKillsAnimals.pdf

nowhere does it mention the health that any of the animals were in at the time but there is no possible way that 90%+ of the animals they took in were unadoptable.

of course they prefer for people to adopt rather than buy from pet stores for obvious reasons (puppy mills) but by also hoping to put registered breeders out of business the hope if that eventually dogs and cats will become extinct. that is obviously a loooong time away given how many homeless pets there currently are, but its petas long term goal.

i said that i read those statistics about them killing that many animals, but you said it's because they think they should roam free and shouldn't be domesticated. nowhere does that documentation support that. i'm just asking where you read that they don't believe in keeping animals as pets, because that just runs contrary to basically everything i've read.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I want to post how I find vegetarians hating on Peta so hypocritical, but I can't really find the right words.

the problem with peta is:

1) they use scare tactics to guilt/disgust people into not eating meat. they are essentially the jehovas witnesses of the vegetarian world. everyone has a brain and everyone knows where meat comes from. you have to make your own life choices based on what makes you comfortable. showing someone a gross picture may turn them off of meat for 3 days but will not change turn them into a permanent vegetarian because they already know where it comes from. just because i am a vegetarian doesn't mean everyone else should be. i do what makes me comfortable, as does everyone else and know one should ever shove their beliefs down someones else's throat. and that goes for religion, animal rights, politics, straight edge, etc etc.

2) they claim to want whats best for animals but consistently euthanize healthy adoptable dogs and cats because they don't believe in domesticating animals. i don't know about you guys, but my pets have the life of luxury living in my home. they are given the best food, the best care, the best veterinary care, the most love and pampering- and will never get run over by a car or eaten by a coyote. if that is abuse, then i want to be abused.

3) they prostitute for donations and harass the shit out of anyone who's contact info they can get pleading and pleading for money which they use for what? not helping animals. they use the money to harass the shit out of you even more mailing you useless flyers and magazines and stickers that say "pigs are friends too". fuck that. how does that help animals. if i donated money to them- thinking i was helping animals- and then found out thats what its used for i'd be PISSED.

if you want to donate to help animals go through the SPCA or Petsmart Charities or The Farley Foundation.

you make /way/ too many unjustified/unsupported claims in this comment for me to take you seriously. while I want to comment about pretty much everything you said, I'll just say that I don't think the reason they euthanize animals is because they don't want you to have a pet. if that were the case, they'd euthanize *all* of the animals they rescue, not just a (vast) majority. instead, I'm pretty sure it's simply a matter of finite assets. does your local animal shelter have an infinite amount of space to keep all of the 8 year old dogs that people pass up in favor of adorable puppies? does your local animal shelter have an infinite amount of money to keep all of the 8 year old dogs that people pass up in favor of adorable puppies? of course not. instead of letting them be strays -- where disease and hunger could cause a lot of suffering -- they use donations to end things peacefully. it's really not that hard to understand.

I'm convinced that you're either super misinformed or have an agenda, like maybe you work for a competing charity and you hate that peta gets more attention than yours by doing stupid things like demanding that mario not wear a tanooki suit because it "promotes wearing fur" or something like that.

http://www.peta.org/about/why-peta/pets.aspx

Starts out with:

"We at PETA very much love the animal companions who share our homes, but we believe that it would have been in the animals' best interests if the institution of "pet keeping"—i.e., breeding animals to be kept and regarded as "pets"—never existed. The international pastime of domesticating animals has created an overpopulation crisis; as a result, millions of unwanted animals are destroyed every year as "surplus.""

Ends with:

"Contrary to myth, PETA does not want to confiscate animals who are well cared for and "set them free." What we want is for the population of dogs and cats to be reduced through spaying and neutering and for people to adopt animals (preferably two so that they can keep each other company when their human companions aren't home) from pounds or animal shelters—never from pet shops or breeders—thereby reducing suffering in the world."

They'd prefer if people having pets wasn't a thing but they at least support adoption.

I think they mean it'd be in animals' best interest as a whole if domesticating pets as a practice didn't exist due to the negative side effects such as over-population, abuse, puppy mills, abandonment etc, etc, not necessarily that it'd be in YOUR pet's best interest if you didn't have them. I thought I read something a while back that made it sound more radical but I think from this it's been a little misinterpreted and it's all I could find on their site.

I think they mean it'd be in animals' best interest as a whole if domesticating pets as a practice didn't exist due to the negative side effects such as over-population, abuse, puppy mills, abandonment etc, etc, not necessarily that it'd be in YOUR pet's best interest if you didn't have them. I thought I read something a while back that made it sound more radical but I think from this it's been a little misinterpreted and it's all I could find on their site.

so you're saying they don't want to cleanse the planet of puppies and kittens via mass genocide? what about kittens with ricky rubio's face?

[image]

it's unethical to be that adorable!

var ads = new Array("300x250-1.png","300x250-2.png","300x250-3.png");

var num = Math.floor(Math.random()*ads.length);

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

{

if(Math.floor(Math.random()*2) == 0)

document.write('+':707iakcl]ProBoards Free Forums');

else

document.write('+':707iakcl]ProBoards Free Forums');

}

else

{

document.write('ProBoards Free Forums');

}

ProBoards Free Forums

Kittens can totally grow up to be jerks, I know ours did. Although we found him abandoned as a kitten by his mother in a warehouse and totally dehydrated so he probably has some gnarly brain damage. I say we kill 'em all.

On a serious note (people please pick up on the sarcasm in that last sentence), that's just like, their opinion man. I think it's stupid, there's so many species of domesticated animals and so many of them it's completely moot to worry about if animals were never bred for pets and if it'd be better for them. There are some breeds I'll say this ideology CAN apply to (such as pugs since they've been bred to the point that they're so genetically fucked they can barely reproduce on their own and have more health issues than a third world country) but for the most part it's stupid. It's more important to be worrying about overpopulation control opposed to pedantic rhetoric on if pets are better off not being pets.

The bottom line with PETA is they have good intentions but execute them in all the wrong ways IMO.

Also, wow. I forgot about Chuggo haha.

There be a girl in town with one of them domesticated wolf. I believe it's name is Elu.

A back while, I met it and said "well hot damn, ain't that just the sweetest siberian husky i'd ever seen!" and she replied, "well, sir, just you wait. That there is actually a domesticated wolf."

Best damn trained animal I'd ever come across.