fucked again by pay pal.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Australia and have to pretty much buy all my records internationally. With around 100 records bought from either ebay,discogs,here and your Amazon,Merchdirect etc, I've never had anything NOT turn up. Yeah it can turn up damaged sometimes, but that's about it.

Unfortunately, it's probably pretty easy for someone to receive the item and say guess what?..it never came! So if selling through here maybe it's worth checking into people a bit first perhaps?

that cant be a true story...That angers me.

I live in Australia and have to pretty much buy all my records internationally. With around 100 records bought from either ebay,discogs,here and your Amazon,Merchdirect etc, I've never had anything NOT turn up. Yeah it can turn up damaged sometimes, but that's about it.

Unfortunately, it's probably pretty easy for someone to receive the item and say guess what?..it never came! So if selling through here maybe it's worth checking into people a bit first perhaps?

same situation here. buy all my records international. its been nigh on 10 years of record buying for me, and i could count on one hand the amount of records that have not turned up.

if there are any hold-ups, i do try to work it out with the seller first before going the paypal route. but i guess there are ppl out there who will try to do dodgy shit to others. its hard to but it comes down to working with ppl you have confidence in dealing with...

not much of a solution i know, but it is unfortunate that due to a couple of bad eggs, ppl on here have decided to rule out international shipping altogether.

international dealings is the ONLY way for us down here to get DECENT records for decent prices.

if it helps anyone, when you deal with me, you wont get fucked over.... ;D8-) a few folks on here can attest to my integrity.

Here is what I don't understand. Ebay is allowed to buy paypal then force users to accept it. They are also allowed to increase fees for example since 2002 when ebay bought paypal it raised its final value fee almost 400% and paypal just recently (in the last year or so) added fees without telling users. Ebay won't even let you use the words "money order" in auction descriptions anymore. Are there not laws against these types of monopolies? Ebay made 7 billion dollars last year in profits. Ebay is a multi billion dollar criminal organization.

Here is what I don't understand. Ebay is allowed to buy paypal then force users to accept it. They are also allowed to increase fees for example since 2002 when ebay bought paypal it raised its final value fee almost 400% and paypal just recently (in the last year or so) added fees without telling users. Ebay won't even let you use the words "money order" in auction descriptions anymore. Are there not laws against these types of monopolies? Ebay made 7 billion dollars last year in profits. Ebay is a multi billion dollar criminal organization.

It's not a monopoly technically.. there are other auction sites and other payment methods.. they just get no attention and no one looks at them. There's no one forcing people to use ebay. It's a business with it's own rules.. people that don't like it don't use it.

It's not a monopoly technically.. there are other auction sites and other payment methods.. they just get no attention and no one looks at them. There's no one forcing people to use ebay. It's a business with it's own rules.. people that don't like it don't use it.

Doesn't have to be a true monopoly, just an effective monopoly, and they have quite the effective vertical monopoly on the online-auction game. Are you going to think to look ebay first, or a penny auction site like Quibids?

someone make a claim for a fake LP?I bought the QOTSA lp on blue and it's fake ,How it's work?Please help me

[image]

for real though just log into pay pal and go to the resolution center.

from there it will ask you in detail why you're asking for a refund.

and one of the options is for items significantly different from described.

ie;fakes,bootlegs,ect

Doesn't have to be a true monopoly, just an effective monopoly, and they have quite the effective vertical monopoly on the online-auction game. Are you going to think to look ebay first, or a penny auction site like Quibids?

no of course not, who would go there? haha

someone make a claim for a fake LP?I bought the QOTSA lp on blue and it's fake ,How it's work?Please help me

Unless they specifically said in the listing it was original, it's your fault for buying it. The listing likely said "Blue pressing of QOTSA - S/T" which isn't really a lie.

If you paid less than $300 for it, you should have known something was up.

You need to ask plenty of questions before placing your bid.

I have shipped plenty of records internationally. As trades on here, as distro trades, as sales through the website, and as ebay transactions, and I have never had a single issue.

I agree with daegor - if you keep your receipts, take pictures when necessary and have valid proof that you've actually sent the package (even first class international has the ability to locate a package after a certain amount of time has lapsed, so long as you still have the barcode from the form that you fill out at the PO), no one ever gets butt hurt about the amount of time that it takes to arrive.

I must be doubly lucky, because most of the international packages that I send out also seem to arrive very very quickly.

I dont know if this helps but....

When we used USPS directly and Endicia for postage the order number they gave us NEVER tracked. Now we use Stamps.com. When we ship first class international the number they give us tracks up until it leaves the USA 100% of the time and right until delivery in certain countries. This has helped us eliminate that same problem.

Now I never understood why Stamps.com could provide this, but USPS and Endicia cant!

If you're shipping from eBay (not PayPal), you can do 1st Class International now. I used to have to stand in line and that alone was enough to make me want to stop offering that shit. But now it's all on record. You don't get Ebay Seller Protection unless you get Registered tracking ($12 or so, and you've got to stand in line and use USPS-approved tape for that). But it's worth the risk for me since at least 40% of my orders on eBay come from Canada, UK and Germany. If someone screws me out of $50 here or there (and no one ever has), it's just a cost of doing business I guess. Doesn't help someone who only sells a handful of records a year I guess, but that's how I play it.

I've mailed at least 500 international packages and I've only had trouble shipping to Italy, Mexico and Brazil. I don't ship there anymore unless they contact me and agree to pay for Registered and absolve me of all blame. Never had a problem doing that either.

I have a guy from the UK wanting to buy a record from me. With as bad as Canada Post is, maybe I should just pass on selling it.

I can see what you saying, but maybe that guy from the UK is one of the good guys. Check his ebay account maybe the name is the same and check his feedback. That will give you some idea...

In the end it is darn difficult to build up reputation, and ebay has not helped itself with the new feedback system. But on private trades on forums such as this or the Wiki it is a plunge into cold water for both sides, unless you trawl all the threads for recommendations....

tricky, but if in doubt send it registered, I am sure your UK buyer agrees as it is in both your interest.

IMHO

As a buyer, PayPal is awesome.

As a seller, PayPal sucks balls.

In my decade of e-commerce using PayPal, I've only had to open disputes about a dozen times and I've had three opened against me. One was an item that wasn't received (I didn't use tracking so I ate the $$), one was when a sold a DVD of The Abyss on Half.com and the person complained that it was widescreen and they wanted fullscreen (I won that case), and the final one was when I sold an autographed CD booklet for Deftones' Diamond Eyes that I got from Interpunk. The buyer complained (in ALL CAPS THE ENTIRE TIME) it wasn't signed by the whole band (I had posted a scan of the actual item). I lost that case. Bullshit.

After a couple similar experiences, I've stopped shipping overseas entirely. It's just not worth the headache. It sucks because on the rare occation that I do eBay something, an overseas bidder inevitably wins despite my communicating to them that I will not ship overseas, and I have to re-list an item once or twice before actually selling it. To me, it's worth taking a little less money or jumping through a couple more hoops to avoid getting ripped off on overseas shipping.

There are ways to block international bidders from bidding on your items and you can set up additional restrictions to try and keep out deadbeat bidders.

http://my.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?MyeB....sPag eName=STRK:ME:LNLK&FClassic=true

Under the buyer requirements I have the following checked off:

Block buyers who:

Don't have a PayPal account

Have received 2 Unpaid Item strike(s) within 6 Month(s)

Have a primary shipping address in a location I don't ship to

Have 4 Policy Violation report(s) within 6 Month(s)

Are currently winning or have bought 3 of my items in the last 10 days and have a feedback score of 3 or lower

Some deadbeats still slip through from time to time but generally they are just not paying, so any issue I have with them stops right there.

International shipping shouldn't be that difficult if you "pack it like a tank" and make sure as best you can that the buyer is reputable. The Euro is still stronger than the dollar so you could be shutting out higher-paying bidders by refusing to sell to them.

I had no idea I could do this! Thank you so much!

As a buyer, PayPal is awesome.

As a seller, PayPal sucks balls.

Even as a buyer PayPal sucks. Most times I will pay, and assume shipping takes roughly 2-4 weeks. After a month, I will email the seller, we'll go back and forth and they say problem solved. I wait another 2 weeks for a new one to arrive, and I'm already over the 45 day window.

45 days is not enough time. I now have to get in the habit of opening a claim every time at 40-45 days if it hasn't arrived yet, which is a pain in the ass.

Luckily I use Visa for everything online, and they have refunded me the 2-3 times I've been ripped off and it was past the PayPal claim window. Twice they asked for emails, backup, etc. The last time they just refunded me $50 on my next statement without any documentation. It was great.