Body cleansing recommendations?

[image]

I'm so out of shape and sick of it. I want to do something about it for once. Just not sure where to begin since my budget doesn't really allow for much better than crappy food that's affordable because it isn't healthy and it's full of partially hydrogenated oils right now. Or I don't know how to shop for healthy food as well as I pretend to. Actually that's probably all it is.

Also liking how this thread popped up the same time as this one haha.

If you want to feel cleansed cut diary, booze and refined sugars for a bit. I'm sure you'll lose weight but the cleanest I ever felt was when I went vegan. You'll never realize how shitty dairy products make you feel until you quit.

You could also try the unbelievably indulgent under 550 calorie menu from Applebees I keep hearing about.

i don't think i'd consider anything from applebees 'unbelievably indulgent' ahaha.

agreed, lol.

as for skipping meals, i'm sure it's not great for a lot of people, but it works for me and has since i was a kid. ever since i was a kid, i've only eaten a light breakfast and a regular dinner. it doesn't affect me in the sense that i don't get low blood sugar like my husband does if he skips meals (from being too busy). i don't feel any less or more hungry whether i have lunch or not so i just see it as useless calories. the only time where i was hungry and would kill a fucker if i didn't eat was when i was pregnant.

i should also add that i don't have a normal person's schedule anyway. i have my light breakfast these days around 10-11am, dinner at 7-8pm. it's not like i'm going 12+ hrs without eating all day.

with the atkins diet, it might not be the same for everyone depending on what you eat, but the nurse i used to work with did that diet and her breath stank from all the ketones.

i don't think i'd consider anything from applebees 'unbelievably indulgent' ahaha.

agreed, lol.

as for skipping meals, i'm sure it's not great for a lot of people, but it works for me and has since i was a kid. ever since i was a kid, i've only eaten a light breakfast and a regular dinner. it doesn't affect me in the sense that i don't get low blood sugar like my husband does if he skips meals (from being too busy). i don't feel any less or more hungry whether i have lunch or not so i just see it as useless calories. the only time where i was hungry and would kill a fucker if i didn't eat was when i was pregnant.

i should also add that i don't have a normal person's schedule anyway. i have my light breakfast these days around 10-11am, dinner at 7-8pm. it's not like i'm going 12+ hrs without eating all day.

with the atkins diet, it might not be the same for everyone depending on what you eat, but the nurse i used to work with did that diet and her breath stank from all the ketones.

Didn't Atkins eventually die from his diet?

I would absolutely say to NOT skip meals. At present I'm running on a 1,500 calorie/150 carb a day plan and I'm fine. I usually do six smallish meals a day - example: 1.) Bran Muffin and a cup of tea 2.) Fresh made tomato and basil soup with half a whole wheat pita 3.) one full cup of strawberries 4.) one and a half servings of almonds 5.) general tso's baked tofu (make my own sauce to curb the carb counts) with a half a cup of rice and a full cup of baked button mushrooms 6.) another full cup of strawberries.

If I get hungry during the day, I typically have a large glass of green tea and I'm set. Often times when we feel hungry, it's our bodies wanting fluid more than anything else.

i went vegetarian back in july, but have been pretty unhealthy about it. i decided to start making a concerted effort to eat better, and this week is my first week. i'm pulling a lot out of a better homes and gardens vegetarian cookbook i got from my grandma for christmas, which offers a lot of vegan options that are pretty delicious (mostly just subbing out cheese and sour cream). my parents got me a rad food processor, so i've been making my own black bean burgers and garlic flax seed burgers. i made some awesome breakfast bars that are high in fiber and protein, froze the leftovers and i'm set for a week. i'm hoping by doing this, cutting down on processed foods (and, well, booze) will help me kill 30 or so pounds by june. worst part for me is exercise. i teach and i'm on my feet all day, but by the time i get home i have no energy to work out. i don't know what it is.

agreed, lol.

Didn't Atkins eventually die from his diet?

No he didn't that was just a rumor created because there are some groups of people who think the diet is unhealthy, and some think that it promotes animal cruelty because of the higher protein.

Robert Atkins died from slipping on ice in NY which threw him into a coma and later died from the head injury.

Running. Best thing i did last year. If you manage to get into this and combine it with a high protein/low carb diet you're laughing, weight will fall off really fast. I've never been fat and i'm in pretty good shape now but i'm short so keeping on top of this is something i have to make sure i do as any weight gain will be more noticeable.

The thing that's helped me keep a good diet is actually the nike plus app which i use while running, it forces you to appreciate how much exercise is required to burn off the calories that you would take in from a small, unhealthy meal and to look for healthier options. I've never done protein shakes or anything like that (never been to the gym, all my work outs are done running outside or playing football) but as a lot of people have said before me, reducing or cutting out carbs and dairy will make you feel great after a few days and - if you keep it up - you'll find that when you do eat carbs a far smaller amount will be enough to really fill you up. Anyway, i'm rambling, hope some of this is helpful, good luck, man!

I would absolutely say to NOT skip meals. At present I'm running on a 1,500 calorie/150 carb a day plan and I'm fine. I usually do six smallish meals a day - example: 1.) Bran Muffin and a cup of tea 2.) Fresh made tomato and basil soup with half a whole wheat pita 3.) one full cup of strawberries 4.) one and a half servings of almonds 5.) general tso's baked tofu (make my own sauce to curb the carb counts) with a half a cup of rice and a full cup of baked button mushrooms 6.) another full cup of strawberries.

If I get hungry during the day, I typically have a large glass of green tea and I'm set. Often times when we feel hungry, it's our bodies wanting fluid more than anything else.

ya, i think part of why i don't really feel hungry during the day is that i'm really well hydrated. i drink lots of water, mainly because it's good for my skin, but also for its other benefits. i don't really drink juice or soda as they are just too sugary.

the other thing is that my lack of snacking is somewhat cultural and ingrained in me. both my mother and MIL have negative opinions about grazing and i just grew up with that. i'm usually too busy during the day to stop and eat, but occasionally i will have a little bit (similar to the portions you decribe) while i feed my daughter lunch. i didn't really count a handful of berries as a meal, but i guess i could. :)

my daughter is already like all of us though. ever since she was born, i was told babies need to be nursed every 2 hrs and she would freak the hell out if you tried to feed her any more frequently than 3-4 hrs. she's a healthy weight, but no where near as big nor does she eat as much as the other kids i know.

i'm also like ^^^alex. never been fat, just petite, so i have to mind what i eat and how much activity i engage in so that it doesn't start to show.

oh and the other thing that i do that has been mentioned is that i avoid processed food as much as possible.

I can see what you mean about not counting a cup of berries as a meal - honestly it's a bit of semantics on my part. I typically start the day with the muffin and the bowl of soup/pita to get a jump start and then have a cup of tea. Throughout the day I'll have a serving of the berries and the almonds (the almonds are super filling) and then have dinner (which is usually the biggest meal of the day - but we set that apart by having it a good six+ hours before bed) followed by another serving of berries and tea an hour or two later (never eating four hours or less before bed). This seems kind of boring when written down but really we eat about the same as we did before but I just replace potatoes with cauliflower or something more carby for something less carby basically to take the carb count down drastically. My whole being a chef gives me the means to look at all of the food we're eating and prepare it in such a way where it still tastes the way we like without reverting to being 'healthy' i.e. tasting bland and like card board.

my normal day for food:

breakfast on a weekday - bowl of greek yogurt with granola and blackberry jam mixed in. a few slices of dry-cured meat (salami, proscuitto, soppressata or capicola). weekend - bacon, egg and cheese on an everything bagel. i fucking love breakfast.

lunch: apple and a sandwich (supermarket bought, i work next to a grocery store so it's easy)

dinner varies pretty widely depending on my fresh food status. if i've just gone shopping it's nice (last night i had spinach with bacon, garlic and red onion with a few fresh made rolls). tonight it's portobello mushrooms stuffed with sausage, tomato and spinach. if i'm running low on shit it's something from a can or frozen. meh. breakfast is the best.

Guest mellietronx

I am glad that I have more fruits, almonds, and veggies in my diet.

It's crazy how our bodies react after we get into the swing of eating better. You almost never have bad food cravings.

This thread makes me realize how lucky I am that I can eat just about anything. Most of the time I eat quite healthy... ever since I was a kid I simply liked snacking on veggies more than cookies. I do indulge quite a bit on shit food, though, especially since Buffalo is really, really good at making tasty-but-unhealthy food.

I drink a lot of beer and eat small portions of food throughout the day.

Banana and yogurt in the morning with a piece of chicken.

Three hours later I'll have some Chef Boyardi (spaghetti n meatball straight out of the can)

An hour of that I'll have slices of roast beef and a salad

Soon after that I'll eat Taco Bell (Crunchwrap Supreme and a crunchy taco with Fire sauce)

Couple hours after that I'll take in some grilled chicken (off the Foreman) and steamed green beans or peas w/mushrooms.

In between and all round those meals, I have many bottles of water.

I piss frequently throughout the day and thoroughly enjoy it.

At my weightiest weight I weighed 240 lbs at 6'2", but since eating frequently throughout the day whilst drinking many bottles of H20 and carbed up beer, I'm now 185 lbs.

It's all about metabolism and how you fuck with it.

If I don't drink alcohol for 7 days, I'll lose 5 lbs. But what the fuck do I care?

There's too much pressure to be some John Stamos-lookin' mofo, but in the end, it's all about genetics.

Enjoy yourself by enjoying what makes your heart happy...even if it's 16 Twinkies --- creme filled and goddamn delicious. Atherosclerosis...here I come.

Has anyone who takes working out seriously used a "mass gainer"? Are those designed just for people who are naturally wiry and want to put on weight or can they help an average build dude put on muscle?

My understanding of weight gainers is that you HAVE to be disciplined and super knowledgeable of that product within your routine. If you're considering the powder formula to create a shake, that shake could hold a shitton of calories that your body can only withstand if you have a heavy duty workout of lifting weights and plenty of cardio. Most people use the shake as a replacement of meals, too, so you could be taking in too much fat and carbohydrates when you could just eat small servings of, let's say, grilled piece of chicken and a salad.

Weight gainers will allow any average build to rapidly grow, but it's all about the workout.

Just make sure you thoroughly research whatever weight gainer you come across so that you won't take in 1000+ calories of sugars and carbs.

Also, don't drink your shake right before or after a workout or else it's pointless -- drink it a couple hours after the workout to help out your metabolism or else your body will digest it at a slower rate, prolonging the benefits of the shake.

Genetics will also determine how fast your can put on muscle and how healthy you'll be while doing it.

I have a friend who did some high-calorie shake for a couple years, and at first he was a stick and now he's insanely ripped, however that's just his upper body; his legs are still sticks. With time passing, those legs won't be able to hold the muscle sitting atop so they'll become too fragile and worthless. He's been trying to work out his legs, but genetically they won't gain muscle like the rest of his body, so already he's getting aches and pains that won't go away no matter how well he eats.

I just recommend not taking that shit unless you have some lifelong goal of overworking your liver and kidneys, and spending too much money because in the end, you'll just be a skeleton in a box.

This is probably incoherent as hell because I'm tired as an old man's ballsack!

5.) general tso's baked tofu (make my own sauce to curb the carb counts)

Dude if you could hook me up with a recipe for this I would love you forever. I love Tso's Tofu but I feel like it'd be cheaper to make it than go pay $7 at the chinese place down the street for it.

Yeah man - I'm actually making it tonight, so I'll send you over the recipe around that time. :)

On a related note - weekly weigh in this morning, two more pounds off!

I've probably only been eating 500 calories a day for the past 2 weeks, because I just never feel like eating. It sucks, and I have not lost a pound. In high school I starved myself all senior year and lost like 50 pounds, I was pretty underweight for a while, and now I'm all fat again. Maybe I need to get on a healthy diet, which should hopefully allow me to eat normally again.

Yeah dude, 500 a day puts yr body into starvation mode. If you can - try to get up to 1,500. A lot of folks will say that 1,500 on the daily for an adult male is too little but for me personally it works really well after the period of time (only a week or so) where I had to get used to it. I'm hardly ever hungry and like I said at another point, just have a large glass of water or green tea and I'm more than set

Today I feel like shit, had Chipotle twice today. Granted, both times I only ate half of it, but so many calories after not eating for a while. Tomorrow I'm going to try to establish some sort of good eating regiment. I need to stop eating so much crap, even if I only eat little bits of it.